1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Rise in Racism in Uk after Brexit and Trump

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sandrew255, Jul 4, 2016.

1. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I will never understand why people are racist? Like what do you possibly stand to gain by discriminating against a person just because of their race or their nationality? So ignorant.

Also I think a lot of these anti-immigrant people don't actually realise how much our economy or NHS rely on people from abroad. Perhaps spending less time being dickheads and actually spending some more time educating themselves will stop them from shouting stupid crap.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Racism is psychologically quite complex. I find it interesting, though I haven't much knowledge on it. What I do know is that racists are often people of low confidence and/or low selt-esteem (this is a correlation, obviously, not a causal relation). They can't find within themselves the strength to look at themselves in a positive way - thus they need to externalize their confidence and esteem onto abstract constructs or ideas such as "the white race" or "my country". They invest energy into this and feel better about themselves.
    Note that this is something that is often correlative when it happens that a person is racist - having low confidence or self-esteem obviously doesn't mean you'll be a racist.

#22 Invidia, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry for the delayed reply. I guess you are right, thank goodness! I just worry that we forget how easy itis to fall for the right wing propaganda.

4. lemons123

lol even Farage resigned...and i thought that my gloomiest prediction about Brexit was a deal with Russia and the pound dropping "slightly". Still, find the whole thing funny in a bizarre way...

5. IHateBeingGay1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't like it =/= "it's racist/homophobic"

6. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like how you consider this news, but at the same time had no proof it was trump and brexit -_-?
    Also to put into specifics it's because people believe someone is racist that they become racist; for what we know Trump is not racist, anti-immigration does not mean racism, if anything he's a nationalist. Additionally why are Brits caring about a united states election candidate, nothing he does is going to affect your borders. Beyond that try to at least point to some piece of news rather then an opinion, makes things easier to agree/argue with.
    All and all, racism is subjective.

7. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not to be rude of course, but it seems like you are blaming America for British racism.

8. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Whoops, sorry I wasn't talking about America :slight_smile: I'm just talking about some of the anti-immigrant people I know who claim that they're either all terrorists, or they say that they're ruining our economy, when really it's the opposite and we actually rely on them.

Plus my first statement/question is because I am genuinely curious what some people think they stand from discriminating against people. Sorry if my comment came across the wrong way :slight_smile:

9. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let's do numbers, y'all. So, according to this, there has been an increase in hate crimes of 42%.

While it could also be a self-fulfilling prophecy, i.e., more police officers around, ergo, more people get caught; I read a news article in Spanish that reported the aggressions Spanish people have faced after the referendum, and some did say people are more vocal. Before, sometimes, they'd shout a slur and run away, now people feel free to tell you matter-of-factly how immigrants are not welcome any more.

Which is why it's gonna be HILARIOUS if Britain is forced to comply with Freedom of Movement while it negotiates a deal with the EU.

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

11. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Oh, yes, you're right. My apologies. ^^ You quoted my text as being that other girl's right now as well, though. XD EC's quote mechanics is kind of hard to handle imo.

13. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No problem XD I only just figured out how to quote stuff on here one or two weeks ago lol

14. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Probably took me half a year, lol. XD

15. Harve

Subjective to what exactly? It's actually pretty black and white and there's been an awful shift to label some racist acts/thoughts as tolerable/understandable/acceptable while others are simply 'too far'. I mean a UKIP-voting schoolfriend from England told me he thought the murder of Jo Cox was 'too far' (and I'd like to point out that he'd never say this in public), which was done on a racist platform. I'm not sure what his idea of 'acceptable' action there was. I've not spoken to him since then.

It seems like many on the right are more concerned about being accused of racism than the occurrence of racism itself. That really makes me angry.

#35 Harve, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  16. NoXsOrOs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If racism was black and white, then you would not have a leeway of what is racist. There would be one standard. It is subjective, to human understanding by the way; let me say. Growing up on the streets acceptable actions are not black and white, saying one thing in front of one person will get you killed, saying to another and you best friends. Rights, as in conservatives as in the group most criticized because they support old ideals? They are concerned about being seen as racist due to the vote, look racist your dead in the water. If everyday you are always not trying to be racist; then the next generation will not know of it because you never showed it, I consider this a good thing. Anyhow the main topic here was the united states and brexit making other nations suddenly seem to be racist(Hence blame game). Which is not true in my opinion.

This all in all is an opinion, and thus there is no argument to be based on, just explaining my view point on the matter.

17. Flowey

I don't think Nigel Farage is racist. Some do. And some even complained about him to the police.

18. n3ko

there has been an increase in reported hate crime. of course the media is using this as a smokescreen to hide their neo objectives.

19. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Farage's racism is not only real, it's thinly veiled. Come on now.

20. Harve

Too right. Sadly that's not a particularly accepted view in the UK.

Rather than folk saying 'oh I agree with everything he says', you will probably get replies like 'he's not racist, he's just a bit xenophobic' in the same vein as 'it's not racist because Muslims don't form a race', as if such rebuttals excuse dangerous statements in some way. It'll eventually come down to that classic 'we can't talk about immigration without being branded racists' which is designed to shut down any conversation between social liberals and social conservatives.

#40 Harve, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016