1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you feel when you finally started a gay relationship?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by appleseed, Jun 29, 2016.

1. appleseed

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to myself as gay a few months ago, while in a relationship with a man. I've spent a lot of time analysing my past and trying to figure out what to do in the future, but I have a question that I can't wait to find an answer for. This question is, how did you feel when you finally started a same sex relationship? I would love to hear from those of you who are already there!

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Actually, prior to having my first gay relationship, I've had a few one night stands. However, once I got into a full fledged relationship, I was a little nervous and somewhat scared because it was with someone who was in the closet much more than I was. He was very well known throughout the city and within the media. Therefore, there were a lot of situations and circumstances that I had to deal with where as if I was in a relationship with an everyday guy, I'm pretty sure I would not had to endure as much as I did with this guy. With that being said, as I reflect on that relationship, it was intriguing, interesting, sometimes exciting, sexy, thrilling and a lot of secrecy.

3. KingJude

Initially, I was incredibly excited. But when he borderline abused me things went downhill. Right person = feels great. Wrong person = nightmare.

4. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it was the best feeling ever. My first same sex relationship began almost 2 years ago, and I'm certain it will also be my only same sex relationship. When we initially started dating, I was so nervous because she's almost 7 years older than me and had been with several other women before me. I am generally a shy person so when we first started dating, I couldn't even maintain eye contact with her. But now I am the happiest I have ever been. I'm so comfortable with her and she is the person I go to for everything.

I had dated several great guys in the past and couldn't ever figure out why I could never maintain the connection in a relationship. I always ended things with the feeling of "You are the perfect guy and someone will be lucky to have you, but I'm just not in love with you." It has been the complete opposite with my girlfriend. I can't get enough of her.

Anyways, the initial dating will likely be exciting yet slightly intimidating. But once everything falls into place with the right person, it's no different than a relationship with the opposite sex, it just becomes a relationship with the right person!!

5. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll segment my answer as follows.

My first gay relationship while on my coming out high - Like many people on EC, I was so eager to be in a relationship that I was not very picky. Have a dick? Cool, let's be BFs. While he was a good, genuine guy, we wanted vastly different things out of the relationship and it would have never worked. I recognized this and cut my losses.

My first real gay relationship once I was off the coming out high - It's amazing. It feels more real than any straight relationship. I'm able to totally drop my guard and be open with my BF because I have no secrets I need to keep. Because of this genuine honesty, my marriage in hindsight almost feels like a hookup.

6. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One word - "scared".

It seems so long ago and so stupid but that is exactly how I felt.