1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips on how to let a stranger know you're interested?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IG88, Jun 14, 2016.

1. IG88

Today I ate lunch at an A&W (American fast food restaurant). There was a really cute cashier taking my order who was all smiles when I walked in :icon_bigg . But how do I let this stranger (who looks and sounds a little gay to me haha) know that I'm interested in him? Especially for those times when your expected interaction time with this person is so short :icon_sad: .

Does anyone have ideas on how to get their attention, and let them know you want to hang out with them etc? Has anyone successfully done this?

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Not super talented in such arts myself, but I would use body language like smiling and eye contact, perhaps a lingering smiling glance as you take your food.

Perhaps if you want, wear something that you feel makes it more obvious you're not straight.

Maybe after getting your food, you could pick a table near the counter, or if there's not put your food down and then go get something near the counter like napkins and ketchup. And while you're there, try to strike up some casual conversation, like ask about his job or complement him. Then maybe go on from there.

Hope this helps and good luck!

3. IG88

Okay yeah, I like the dressing idea and the getting dressings idea :slight_smile:

Thanks, I need me a "I'm Gay" t-shirt and I'll be good. Eye contact is a big thing ... I tried doing that more, although it wasn't hard to do when the cashier's cute.

Any other people with success at this?

4. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to say that everyone has a different angle or perspective on this subject matter. However, I can recall this one particular time while hanging out with some friends at the club that it was this really good looking guy that came in maybe an hour before closing. My friends kept talking about how hot he is was especially since he was by himself. One of them dared me to go over and talk to him. I really believe that they wanted me to do this because I think they really thought he was going to brush me off since he seemed to be somewhat bashful. Nonetheless, the DJ had played one of my favorite songs and I went over to this guy and said to him since this is supposedly the last song of the night that I would be very honored if he would have the last dance with me. As I extended my hand out to him in order to take him to the dance floor, he smiled at me and took my hand. My friends' mouth were hanging wide open in shock. After the song end, the DJ decided to slow down the pace with slow song and when I thought he was ready to exit the floor, he actually grabbed my arm and asked me to dance with him because he liked the song. While slow dancing, he introduced himself as I did the same and then he asked me if I would like to join him for breakfast at one of the local diners which I did. I notified my friends that I was leaving with him and I would talk to them later....haha...Anyway, since Summer season had just begun, we dated whole Summer until his job had relocated him to another state.

5. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The interaction must be kept short, but there are limits you can play with. As a customer you do have a right to ask questions about the food, and even to make a joke or two. If you are there when they are about to close, you can wish him a good afterwork time. It's a common courtesy here in Germany, and after a brief, relaxed chat is usually very well received.

I guess the easiest way is to become a known customer, to go there often and becoming kind of predictable (same orders, same days/hour). Then you do have chances to expand your chats, and even if they are kept short they would be more friendly and they could become even intimate... Until a phone number or a suggestion.

Yes, it takes time and patience, and a tiny bit of luck there, but even if it doesn't work, at least you'll get the best service from a cute guy, so you don't have much to lose here.

6. indeed28

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I had a similar experience but with a delivery guy. got a vibe from him as we made eye contact, didnt seem particularly gay but i just got a vibe just wanted to tell him how cute he was but i chickened out because i didnt know if he was gay or not

sadly i haven't seen him since :frowning2:

#6 indeed28, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  7. faustian1

I'm sure by now you've acquired a certain mystique with your friends, which I'll bet you really enjoy.

Tell me that you've discovered your optimal earning power in a sales or marketing position :slight_smile: I think it almost goes without saying I'm jealous :icon_wink

8. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha...actually, I was an Executive in the Marketing Dept. for a medical insurance company. So, its possible that being around a lot of marketing executives on a daily basis, those skills rubbed off on me subconsciously. To answer the first part of your response, yes, I do hold a certain mystique with my friends which for some reason is very intriguing to them.

9. faustian1

I wish I was as skilled at reading non-verbal communications from others as I am in reverse-engineering the skill set of a guy based on this kind of thing. :roflmao: And if you worked with sales guys and weren't completely frustrated, you may just have what it takes to be one yourself!

Oh, and yes, I am extremely jealous of people who can sell and persuade that way. I'm an engineer by training and that, well, should give you an idea of what my social "Q" factor should be...

One question I always like to ask marketing and (particularly) sales people is, "How did you first get into sales?" This invariably reveals some kind of random, aha moment that developed into a career.

#9 faustian1, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Check out this thread! :slight_smile: It has some tips for approaching people that you don't know, and it's generally a great read.

11. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay...honest answer...I was not looking for a Marketing position, I was in a very secret relationship with the President of the corporation for over five years. I worked very closely with him business and personal..haha..anyway..For business purposes...he thought he would promote me into another branch. He was friends with the Director of Marketing and that is how I got that position. So since I was there, I decided to put my best effort to learn all I could about Marketing which I learned a lot.

12. faustian1

That is now the new first place winner for the most bizarre sales/marketing career story. And, as usual, the career was completely, uh, unplanned. Excellent.

13. DaniC

Well, I don't know, but I do have two really good examples of what not to do.

As a woman, don't go up to a guy in a bar with a nasty look on your face and in a less than appealing tone and demand "Buy me a drink." Happened to me, didn't work well for her.

For guys, on the internet, don't see a profile of a trans individual that specifically says 'looking for a gentleman' and say "I saw your profile, we should hook up" with a really creepy old guy profile picture in tow. I just deleted and blocked that individual. Matte of fact, that was enough to get me to delete my profile from that forum.

14. timo

Ha I had the same thing yesterday but with a guy at a craft beer stand. Got some gay vibes off him but I was too shy to do anything except for ordering beer (he gave me some free beer too, yay).

So yeah I'm really bad at this stuff too. Luckily, a friend of mine doesn't give a shit about anything so she went back to him and gave him a note with my number. She said it made him smile. Hope I hear something from him :lol:

15. faustian1

Every shy person needs a friend like that.

16. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Have a piece of paper/card ready. Write something like, "you're cute. Call me?" And have your phone number on it. Fold it in half. When you pay, give the money first, then give your card. When you give the card, make sure you're ready to leave. Smile and tell them, "it's for you. Consider it?" And then start leaving.

If they like you, they'll call you. If not, then there's your answer.

#16 Steve FS, Jul 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  17. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha...Well...I guess its true that many times in whatever you want to pursue career wise...its all about who you know...:icon_wink

18. Hotpussyboy

Hotpussyboy Guest

All great suggestions. Finding a table close by so that the guy can see you looking at him from time to time is magnetic. Perhaps saying something nice about his appearance and manner and competence will win a second and even a third glance from him if you sit close to where he can see you again. If you have the green light (smiles, nice comments from him, etc) and he happens to leave his station to go to the bathroom, follow him there, stand in front of a mirror to comb your hair, then, when he comes to the sink, say hello, and try to engage him in small talk. If he really likes you, your off and running....

19. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I suggest a little smile (more than just the friendly "thank you" smile), and maybe a wink. Maybe also in a situation like a fast food restaurant, maybe if you can gently touch the guy's hand while taking you food and/or change from him (and smile while you do that).