1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Mass Shooting at Orlando Gay Nightclub

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by OnTheHighway, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is so fucked up. I have no words for any of this right now. Glad to know this is the year to solidify that we're disposable and not safe to exist anymore.

2. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel personally targeted by this monstrosity...and watching Pam Bondi, the Florida AG, notorious for blocking gay marriage in her state expressing words of condolence makes me want to retch.
    Words matter, and I'm talking to you Cruz and Huckabee.

3. Charlz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Just heartbroken :frowning2:

4. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This reminds me why I generally hate religion. Beliefs affect actions. I mostly agree with Voltaire when he said, "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."

#84 BobObob, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
  5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A-fucking-men. This doesn't solve anything and makes other marginalized groups more prone to being attacked. Remember the shit in Paris that was done by Belgian nationalists and not Muslim extremists? There was so much bullshit going on after that it made me terrified to hear that my friends on Facebook who are Muslim got murdered by a Islamophobic lunatic over it.

Guns don't kill people. A gun doesn't have a mind of it's own to do an act of violence. The person behind the trigger does. This is about the person(s) themselves and not their identity. This is about those who were hurt in the shooting and the families and friends of those who are surviving it for those who didn't make it. Stricter gun control WILL NOT stop this shit from happening.

I'm really disappointed in some of you if you turn this into an islamophobic or something else. I think I can vouch for everyone from the US that we know we're fifty shades of fucked up. We get it. We know. We've had at least 200 shootings since last year, and we've just become accustom to seeing Obama make speeches almost every time one of them happens. We know.

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2016 at 03:25 PM ----------

53 have been confirmed now, there might be more. This...I don't know. This is the deadliest shooting we've had in 40 or so years now. At this point, I don't know if I feel more scared or numb now that it's all sinking in.

6. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    What has this world come to?

7. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just because "guns don't kill people" (which is an absurd straw-man in itself as I've never heard any anti-gun activist claim that they do) doesn't mean there isn't a problem with [lack of] gun control in this country. When these kinds of mass shootings happen here with such frequency and not in other countries, you have to examine what makes America different? One of those factors is the amount of guns and easy access to guns. That doesn't mean gun control is a cure-all, but it does mean it might at least be worth looking at, especially when this shooter obtained his gun legally.

And it is perfectly reasonable that people are trying to look at ways to prevent this. There are most likely many factors are play here: mental health, Islamic extremism, gun control...they all need to be addressed if we are going to prevent these shootings from happening. Saying "we can't do anything about it" (as some across the internet have been expressing) is not a solution; and I firmly believe we can.

#87 Libertino, Jun 12, 2016
  8. XxSunXDragonxX

No place is safe. No place. :frowning2:

9. VideoGameLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My heart can't stop racing after seeing the news.

10. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like the rest of you, I'm shocked by this devestating attack on our community. Let's rally round and support each other in whatever way we can.

11. Laetrus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    An AR-15 SPORTING, semi-automatic rifle is often used in a hunting setting. It would be no different if this man had a winchester shotgun, like the man who shot up a nursing home in North Carolina had, killing 8 people only to be stopped by the bravery of a lone cop.

Do not blame the gun, blame the person.

My heart goes out to everyone effected by this senseless lost of life.

12. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're reporting that the shooter was a licensed security guard for some agency in Florida.

13. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The AR is no different from dozens of other hunting-type rifles using the same ammo. It gets a bad rep partly from the military style, the appearance and the accessories you can attach. (Some of the popularity is due to it coming in lightweight/shorter options and therefore used more easily by smaller persons.) Functionally, it's not more assault-like than a common small-game hunting rifle. It uses a relatively small caliber cartridge and inflicts less damage than many other firearms the shooter could have used.

As for the matter of holding 30 rounds (mentioned earlier) -- a lower capacity magazine could easily be changed out in very few seconds. The shoot was clearly very experienced, as seen in his accuracy, among other things.

As for gun laws, I can't see how more of them will be more successful than the thousands of gun laws already in the USA.

Guns and gun laws are not the problem behind this tragedy.

#93 Chloe, Jun 12, 2016
  14. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    And just recently this happened to a gay/bar or club (I forgot) in Australia.

Seems like they are targeting lgbt right now.

15. afgirl

So very sad. Thoughts and prayers with those affected and the city of Orlando. Unbelievable. What an awful thing to wake up to today.

16. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on what caliber AR you're talking about if you're talking about hunting. In many places in the USA the common AR round, the 5.56/.223 is too underpowered for most deer, but allowed for smaller animals. You can however change the upper receiver on an AR to allow it to fire higher powered rounds for deer, wild boar, or larger game. Millions of AR type rifles have been sold in the US, mostly for target shooting or hunting, some for competitive use in contests, some as ranch guns in rural areas. Yes in the hands of a deranged person they can, when combined with a high capacity magazine, kill or injure a lot of unarmed people very fast, as can other semi autos that look more like traditional hunting guns with a wood stock instead of a black plastic one. Since the killer was willing to die for his beliefs, what law would have prevented him from obtaining whatever he wanted to do the killings? What laws prevented the terrorists in France from doing what they did? I'm not saying do away with the current laws because the criminals don't obey them, I'm just saying the issue of keeping guns out of the hands of deranged people (particularly ones that the state has licensed them as armed security) is more than merely an issue of just passing a law. Small measures aren't going to have an impact. If you support larger measures that might work, like a total gun ban, how would you enforce it?

17. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you suggesting that the music was so loud that some people couldn't hear the trouble? "when there's three different stereo's blaring"

18. derVaminoi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    One guy at the scene did say he thought the shooting was part of the music at first..

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They foiled another terror plot targeting the LA Pride festival this afternoon.

20. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree 100% greatwhale. I feel targeted. With the exception of being shot dead, the hate takes me back to my teen years. I actually teared up and began to shake when I read about the shooting today, 12 June 2016.

But now I know who I am, a gay man. Come on your mother fu@kers (Cruz and Huckabee and all you other haters).