1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self harm scars in summer

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Embi, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Embi

Embi Guest

Hey ^^

My problem is that shortly before my last exam, I lost it a bit with cutting out of pressure and fear and didn't really care where exactly I cutt. Therefore the scars on my legs are not high enough to be covered by shorts.
    Now it's getting hot and always wearing long jeans is so uncomfortable. I told my mother already that I forgot to shave as an excuse, but I can't keep this up forever. At home I do wear a dress sometimes because nobody except for my family sees me, but I normally never wear dresses unless I am at the beach or a special event.

So does anyone know how I can make my scars fade faster? Does make up work as a cover up? My skin is very light and quite transparent.

2. SpaceOddity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Use what I use for my scars, glycolic acid chemical peel. I use 70% solution chemical peels but if you're first time using it I would say use maybe 20% or 30%. You can find them on eBay.

#2 SpaceOddity, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gentle rubbing and massaging can help to reduce the appearance of scars, but you must make it a daily habit and not expect overnight results. If you use a moisturiser containing vitamin E and massage that into the skin, it will help too. It's also worth trying bio oil or cocoa butter. Again, it must be massaged in because it's that process of rubbing that helps the most.

Some people use silicone strips over scars, but these too will not deliver immediate results, but you may wish to consider them going forward.

A quicker solution would be to use good quality skin camouflage products. These products are different to regular make up because they are specially formulated to hide skin blemishes, like scarring. Vichy produce a range of products that you may wish to consider, but you could also look on the internet for other recommended products.

Try to make scar care part of your daily routine and you should see an improvement over time.

4. Really

Do you have this product or something similar?
    You might also try vit.A gel caps. Snip the end and squeeze out the gel to use topically.
    And moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
    And use sunscreen.

5. Embi

Embi Guest

That's some great tips, thanks guys :slight_smile: I will try some of it.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Definitely do this. High factor too. If you start tanning on your legs the scar will probably be more noticeable.

7. Embi

Embi Guest

Oh, I thought it might be the other way round. But makes much sense actually. I don't get tanned very much anyway though.

8. ConverseCody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've used bio oil and now the very deep scars on my arms are almost gone :slight_smile: Although this is over like a year and a half so not exactly short term. Could you wear a dress with tights? Or wear a leg support and say that you hurt your knee or something?

9. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Am I the only one concerned about why she was cutting in the first place? This is not a healthy practice. please please stop.

I have scars on my legs from riding bikes when I was 13, they don't just go away.

10. Just Call Me Ky

I used to cut on my sides and the scars have faded quickly over time since they weren't very deep. You can use sunscreen lotions that exfoliate and I use a rough sponge in the shower and lotion after the shower to keep the skin hydrated enough to heal. It takes a while though and not all of them go away completely. I am able to hide mine under a shirt but I wanted to wear a bikini this summer and I don't know if they are faded enough to go unnoticed. My best friend knew I cut and said I should just do it anyway because people won't really care and probably won't even notice. You can still wear shorts that are longer or light capris. Good luck with everything. -Ky

11. anthracite

anthracite Guest

The best you can do is to get clean. Are you? If not, there are various ways to substitute yourself at first (ice cubes, cream against pain that warms) until you can solve the problem behind it. Then you should probably tell your parents so you can dress as you want at home and will feel comfortable enough to do this outside. Also I noticed (which might only be the case with me) that if the scars are exposed during the summer in autumn they look more faded that those who were constantly covered.

12. Embi

Embi Guest

Thanks for your concern :slight_smile: I am mostly clean, sometimes it happens, but I have it under control. And I know they won't go away, but I just want them to blend in enough that people won't see them.

Thanks :slight_smile: Yeah, last summer I wore a bikini and they were light enough to be unnoticed by my friends, I was so scared they would see them. Now those mostly faded and the newer ones are an issue. I hope the tips are helping to just make them fade so much that nobody who doesn't search for them sees them.

I would describe myself as mostly clean. I won't tell anyone though, I can do this by myself, so far I handled everything myself. I maybe will go to therapy at one point, but I am too afraid yet, so I just handle it myself. It works better than expected. Thanks for your tips though, I hope they work or I simply won't need them :slight_smile:

13. anthracite

anthracite Guest

Yeah, but I mean if they ask. It's better than being concerned with clothing all the time.