1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you on the Kinsey scale?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by OutofZCloset, May 6, 2016.

1. nuggetbiscuit

I took a few tests that say me I'm somewhere between 4-5 or more than 5 but actually my way of defining my rate is a little bit ridiculous. Romantically/emotionally I am a 4, sexually about 6. The average of them is 5. So I usually say that I am a 5. This may sound silly but it feels easier than dealing with labels.

2. alextiago

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've got a 6...doesnt surprise me at all :grin:

3. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here's information about the Kinsey scale The Kinsey Institute - Kinsey Sexuality Rating Scale.

There is no official Kinsey test according to the Kinsey Institute, the research institute at Indiana University where Dr. Kinsey did his work. Most of the tests I've seen on EC are for entertainment purposes only and have flaws.

This test Kinsey Scale Test can score 1 point lower than how many people self-identify based on the anecdotal evidence of EC members, that is, people who identify as Kinsey 5 often score 4 on the online test.

This test Where Do You Fall On The Kinsey Scale doesn't score 0...6. It combines Kinsey 4 and 5 into the "Mostly homosexual" category (and combines Kinsey 1 and 2 into "Mostly heterosexual"). People have reported anecdotally that it scores closer to the truth, so it's useful in helping you understand your orientation. Realize that you're not going to get your Kinsey number from the test though.

The best way is to figure out where you fall on the Kinsey scale is to use the tests as a starting point and then self-assess using the criteria on the Kinsey web site. Please keep in mind that sexual orientation is defined in terms of attraction and not previous behavior. So if you are in a mixed-orientation marriage and primarily attracted to members of the same-sex you would be Kinsey 4 or 5 even if most of your sexual encounters have been with a member of the opposite sex. Your behavior doesn't impact your sexual orientation; it's about attraction.

#23 SiennaFire, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. soner

Out Status:
    A few people
    4- Predominantly homosexual, but more than incidentally heterosexual :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. lnamae

lnamae Guest

I got 3 - Equally heterosexual and homosexual.

Pretty much, although sometimes it swings one way more than others. And it's definitely not always the same way :confused:

6. Chicagoblue

All tests say I'm STRONGLY homosexual with a hint of hetero. 4.5+

7. Embi

Embi Guest

I did that test and it told me I was a 3, which isn't wrong, but I don't believe in measuring my sexuality in a scale. It's fluid and can lean more toward one side of the spectrum on one day and the other side another day. So I won't ever use it to describe my sexuality.

8. Kasuma San

Venezuela, Miranda, San Antonio de los Altos
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Apparently i am a 6 :grin:

9. Shadstack

Shadstack Guest

Full on 6 c:

10. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    #30 Secrets5, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  11. PrettyinPunk

Same. I don't disagree with the assessment but I think the scale doesn't accurately describe me either. The questions were a little off too. Asking me if having a same sex person in an orgy would bother me. ' No but the orgy in general does!' Wth.:roflmao:

I just took the buzzfeed one too and it said I scored the exact opposite. Neither equally homosexual/heterosexual. I guess that's more grey scale area?

12. Adray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. HerrinDesFeuers

I got "The test failed to match you to a Kinsey Type profile. Either you answered some questions wrong, or you are a very unusual person." and "Not really heterosexual or homosexual".

14. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I'm glad I wasn't the only one bothered by the orgy question. :slight_smile:

15. cakepiecookie

I don't like it that most tests include past sexual experience as part of the calculation. You could sleep with lots of people of the opposite gender and still be 100% gay.

Self-defined, I'd say I'm somewhere between 4 and 5. Probably closer to 5.

16. Snoww

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm a 6 x3 wow I'm really gay, AND PROUD TO BE :3

17. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny... I've actually never taken one of those tests before. The first one I took said I was "100% straight." Ummm, nope. Untrue, seeing how I've had both long-term BFs and GFs, and currently married to a ciswoman. Knowing that test was bunk, I took another one.

The second one put me at a Kinsey 3, which matches both my orientation and my experience. It seemed less Buzzfeed-y too, fwiw.

So, I'd say the validity of these tests are highly dependent on the person who designed them. #JustSaying

18. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't at all like how the tests ask questions. I feel like half the questions really have nothing to do with your sexuality. I get a Kinsey 3 on both... Generally I feel like the average of my life is probably a 3, my past was more of a 2, my present is more of a 5 and I feel like the truth is more of a 4. My best friend of 6 years sees me as a solid 5. Basically, the Kinsey scale is just an idea... it's no more useful in determining your sexuality than a label - you still have to choose your number.

19. LooseMoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I move between being 6 and 5.

That online is very strange- it seems to be impossible to get a 5 on it! How do people do it?
    I got a 6, but when I changed an answer to a question - "I would not want to die without having experimented with both"- the result was a 4. I don't care either way for this question actually, so for it to change the result by two points makes me think that the test is a waste of time.

20. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Around 5.6