1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trans and mentally ill

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by myloxyloto, Apr 24, 2016.

1. myloxyloto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi, I'm Mylo, I'm new here and I'm still not really sure how this works but I have a question for the community.

Are any of you guys trans and mentally ill and fear that it affects how people perceive how you identify? I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder since I was 12 and worry that if I come out my family will think that the fact that I'm ftm is because of a delusion I'm having even though its not. Ive also read that people with psychotic disorders can be denied hrt and reassignment surgery if they don't have a note from their psychologist saying that they're dysphoria is unrelated to their other disorder.

Do any of you have a mental illness and feel it impacts how you or others perceive your gender identity?
    (sorry for any mistakes, this is my first time on this website)

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Well, since depression is a mental illness, and I would guess a majority of trans people (at least pre-transition) have depression, you're certainly not alone. *hug*

I've been diagnosed with bipolar, anxiety, and been investigated for borderline personality disorder. Not many people know about that, but the ones that do haven't drawn any connection to my gender identity.

Some people do that though. It's unfortunate, but it happens. In that case, you just have to do your best and stand your ground.

Also, a little note: On the last line on paragraph 2, you wrote "[...] dysphoria is unrelated to their other disorder." This would have been valid from a psychological/scientific standpoint some years ago, back when it was called 'Gender Identity Disorder' and it was classified as a personality disorder, but it is no longer so. I'm sure you didn't mean it like that, but I just wanted to mention it.

#2 Invidia, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  3. Irisviel

well... call me out if I'm wrong but it is not impossible to experience gender dysphoria as a side effect of something else, and I think schizophrenia is among those things. So if that's correct, someone who is prone to such disorders should make sure this is "real" gender dysphoria.

Again, I have little knowledge in this aspect... if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to know. My internet research suggests I'm right but I can't really say for certain.

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2016 at 01:52 AM ----------

well... call me out if I'm wrong but it is not impossible to experience gender dysphoria as a side effect of something else, and I think schizophrenia is among those things. So if that's correct, someone who is prone to such disorders should make sure this is "real" gender dysphoria.

Again, I have little knowledge in this aspect... if I'm wrong, I'd be happy to know. My internet research suggests I'm right but I can't really say for certain.

4. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    The truth is you'll be denied hrt unless you have a referral from your psychologist regardless

5. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. I fall under the trams bracket so here I am. I've been diagnosed with OCD, GAD, and social anxiety disorder. I find none of these conditions impact how I see my gender. The only thing that I am slightly concerned in me is the OCD GAD is giving me thoughts that I don't know are real vs not real. So I sometimes don't know what is reality and not but I live with it. This usually deals with conversations I've had with people and events that may or may not have happened.

Anyways, but I guess I can see the concern for some mental illnesses like mood disorders, psychosis disorders, some personality disorders, and basically anything that may impact your identity. The doctors don't want you to go through HRT and surgery and find out that it was your altered identity that thought this and not you you, ya know. I'm not saying every single person with one of these conditions would think this, but probably some people out there have done something about changing their gender and not liking it.

((myloxyloto))

6. InfinityonHigh

First off, being trans is not a mental illness. You wouldn't deny a mentally ill cis person's gender, don't deny the gender of a mentally ill trans person's. Your identity is valid.

As for the guidelines for HRT/surgery, I'm not too familiar with them, but your best bet would be to find psychologist (basically the person that writes the recommendation letters) that's both trans friendly and neurodivergent friendly to write your letter of recommendation and also for any therapy if you need it.

I'm not comfortable sharing too much, but my mental illnesses haven't really affected how I perceive my gender. However, it does affect my dysphoria. When I'm depressed I almost always get much more dysphoric as opposed to when I'm euthymic.

I can't guarantee that your family won't think that you being trans is a delusion, but know that it's not. Here's some facts for you for just for reassurance, most if not all delusions are related to persecution, reference, grandeur, religion, and control. There are others but these are this covers a good majority of them. The point is that questioning and being certain that you're trans is neither of those.

(I'm really hoping I don't get into a fight again)

7. anthracite

anthracite Guest

I was diagnosed with depression, but in my experience this is what they say when they want to get rid of you. It was like "Here's your diagnosis, now go home no one wants to ever see you again" And they DID have a reason to act like that, I lied to them all the way. Though they annoyed me before. Another psycho-doc said I had an antisocial personality disorder which couldn't be diagnosed as I was under 18. Several others thought about me having ADD, but never diagnosed.