1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a name idea, but...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Irisviel, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Irisviel

So I've been thinking for a long time, how would I call myself in real life, after all things are settled and I'm there, in the open. Thing is, I'm not someone who find names to be something really important, in the sense of spending hours on choosing one. I would pick it almost randomly, whenever I find one I like... and then get used to it. It's like with the birth name, after all. It's not that I don't care, it's more that I seek a momentary connection to the name, meaning... and that's enough.

So the name that has stuck in my head is Laura. Which is cool, because one of my criteria for the name is that I would like it to be international... and this is one of the few in my native tongue that is easily carried over languages, without needing spelling change in most cases.

But... the reason it's got stuck in my head is Against me! lead singer, a huge inspiration of mine, and perhaps the only celebrity I just feel a strong connection towards. So... as much as the name is alright and not uncommon... where it came from, I don't know. Would it be weird? I am very outgoing about my musical tastes, and if Against me! gets into discussions, or I explain how I chose the name... well, is that still a safe choice? By that I mean, I don't want unnecessary attention beyond being trans in the first place.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking this, and no one would care? It's not like the band is popular where I live, anyway. And yet, I find it weird to imagine a future situation where I show them to someone and say hey, that's why I have that name.

:help:

2. InfinityonHigh

If you're in a situation where someone else would be asking you how to chose your name, chances are that you'll be out to them anyway and it won't really matter whether not they find a connection in your name with AM!. If you're stealth, they'd probably think that's it's just a cool coincidence, (most cis people are named by their parents anyway) or that you like them so much because you have the same name as one of the members.

3. Irisviel

I'm not worried about the name possibly outing me (I haven't even thought about that aspect). It's just that I feel like a teenager with a celebrity crush! And I'm torn between thinking it's a good idea (because the name means something to me), and the awkwardness of such inspiration considering I'm supposed to be more mature now.

#3 Irisviel, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you're overthinking it a lot! Everyone's names come from somewhere, even cis people. My wife is named after a Duran Duran song, my best friend is named after a part of the bible. There's no shame in being named after someone, or something. Plus, it's not like Laura is an uncommon name, no one will probably even think to ask.

I think it's rad you like the name so much and sort of honoring your adoration for that band!

#4 Ghostling, Apr 21, 2016
  5. Irisviel

I might be overthinking this indeed! I suppose it boils down to Laura Jane Grace being trans as well, so it brings up comments into my head that are some phobias of mine, maybe.

Too much focus on what others might think? Perhaps.

#5 Irisviel, Apr 21, 2016
  6. anthracite

anthracite Guest

You might aswell use the celebs name as your second name or vice verse. I will have more names too as I wish to include both my grandfathers. My first name is already chosen. I took Seth, from the badass god of chaos in the egyptian mythology.

7. Delta

My older sister is named Laura, and she's a wonderful person who is very smart and gorgeous and nice. Laura is a fantastic name. :slight_smile:

And if you connect with the name Laura, and that's the kind of person you want to be and be known as, it doesn't matter if it's after a celebrity. Explaining that you wanted a name you felt an immediate emotional connection to and that you felt connected to that name should be all the explaining you need to do. If you want to bring the singer who inspired you into it, you can.

Remember, you're your own person. If you're a Laura, you'll be your own Laura. There are very few people with truly unique names in the world, and a large subset of people are directly named after someone. Being named after someone doesn't mean it isn't your own name that you have rights to.

8. MsEmma

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a big meaning girl...

Feminine form of the Late Latin name Laurus, which meant "laurel". This meaning was favourable, since in ancient Rome the leaves of laurel trees were used to create victors' garlands. The name represents the embodiment of victory and strength.

Jane just means John and is pretty vanilla, but I like Laura Jane Grace.

9. Irisviel

well...

I think I will try to loose my fears about the name, because I really like it, and since it's been stuck in my head for some months, I feel like I'm doomed already.

P.S.
    I think I overestimated Against Me!'s fame in the trans community, as some people seem to have got some confusion here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Their lead singer came out as trans in 2012 and they totally rock, also have a whole album dedicated to being transgender. And, well, my obsession is strong not only for the love of the music, but also because the singer is a pure display of trans womanhood you don't often get to see, cis or trans... and exactly how I feel. So, that's the reason behind my obsession, a role model I've never had before in the celebrity world.

10. Lazuri

Personally I like "Lara" better, but that might be because I'm a huge nerd and it makes me think about Lara Croft.

One of the singers for Steam Powered Giraffe is also trans. She's the one who inspired me to accept myself as trans.

11. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've jokingly told so many people that CJ stands for "Casey Jones" (the character from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). It's not true, no one cares anyways.

If the name works for you, means something to you, fits your criteria, then use it. :slight_smile:

12. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Same! I can't decide whether to go by Seth or Lex though. I went by Seth for three months and now I'm trying out Lex. Although I love the name Alexander I think Seth suits me more but I don't know and I really confused. Ive started rambling now; anyway, I'm glad I met someone else called after the Egyptain god!

13. cakepiecookie

Laura is a common name with tons of different associations, and Against Me! aren't super famous, so I think you're totally fine.

I like Laura btw, it's a good name. :slight_smile:

14. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well to be honest, I was *this close* to naming myself David after David Tennant. Is that bad?

Anyway, I think Laura is a brilliant name. Don't worry about associations or possibly outing yourself with that one. That's extremely unlikely and probably the result of over thinking. Laura is easy to understand, well known enough but not terribly common, and not a "hey look at me I have a weird flashy name" kind of name. Simple yet sophisticated, casual yet intelligent.

Go for it, if that's the name you like. Don't let what others might think prevent you from picking a badass name.

15. Irisviel

I'm flattered to have received so many responses.

Thank you for each of those... looks like I just find it so awkward to name myself that I find all the weirdest problems!

I believe I have this worry out of the way... or at least when it comes back to me, I will make sure to remember your responses.

Thanks a lot!

16. non

non

Laura is a beautiful name, and if you like it, go for it! The main thing is that you are happy with it. I've been in the same boat, I liked the name Elliot for a while because it can be used for any gender but leans towards the masculine side. One of the reasons it stuck with me was because I found an artist called Eliot (with one L) Sumner- coincidentally Sting's kid, who did not identify with any gender and I looked up to them a lot. I added the extra L in, since I felt it was more masculine, but still felt a bit weird for using an artist's name.
    But at the end of the day, I like it. It suits me, and that's what is important. I'm sure the same is true for you too, so if you're happy, that's good. Also if you really don't want to explain how you chose the name, you could just say that it stuck with you, and because it's international. You don't have to mention Against Me! if you don't want to.
    Anyway, best of luck, Laura, I like your name!