1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Queen turns 90

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Reciprocal, Apr 20, 2016.

1. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wait.. I hope she lives for a really long time because I don't think I could cope with some of the current people in line being very popular as a tourist attraction (I guess)

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't stand William or Kate either - both seem like a pair of bone idle gits to me. She isn't a patch on Diana. It also irritates me when the media try to portray her a some beautiful fashion icon - she dresses like a 60 year old woman. She would be totally unknown if it wasn't for her connection to the Royal Family.

I have no strong feelings for the Queen herself and I am pretty ambivalent towards the monarchy in general. I can take it or leave it.

#22 imnotreallysure, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an American I love the Queen.

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Long Live the Queen! Poor Poor Prince Charles. :grin:

5. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happy birthday your majesty :grin:

6. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fuck the queen and her 2 month birthday celebration.

7. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Prime Minister has an audience with the Queen weekly. She provides continuity over the decades which is invaluable. She passes on valuable insight to the current PM with details going back to her discussions with PMs from Sir Winston Churchill onwards.

Being born a Royal isn't a choice! We're lucky that most of the Royal Family do a grand job.

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're just jealous :grin:

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Queen turns 90

I was going to be more snarky than outright disdainful, but amen.

Unfortunately there is no kind way I can respond to this, so I'm just going to have to leave it there.

#29 Browncoat, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  10. tscott

I wish Her Majesty a wondrously happy birthday. She is an amazing woman who has done more to open up the monarchy to the people under many challenging circumstances. I wish Her many more happy years.

I say this as an American.

To make a comparison to the Kardashians is beyond belief and displays an unbelievable ignorance. I would no more want to be their neighbor than I would want to live near a piggery. They do nothing and contribute nothing. White trash with money. The Royals contribute greatly to charity and the benefit of British society.

The comment regarding how Prince George is dress is comical. As a parent I dressed my son in a similar manner, but as an American what may be everyday for the Royals is special occasion here. He's a lacrosse player and dresses the way he wants. It didn't hurt him. Really, guys there are bigger things to focus on other than what a 2 year old prince is wearing.

11. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here are the lyrics to a famous little ditty from The Beatles:

"Her Majesty"

Her Majesty's a pretty nice girl
    But she doesn't have a lot to say
    But she changes from day to day

I want to tell her that I love her a lot
    But I gotta get a bellyful of wine
    Someday I'm going to make her mine, oh yeah
    Someday I'm going to make her mine

:grin:

12. Nikky DoUrden

I thought u meant Queen .....

[​IMG]

I dont care for THE Queen tbh, i also do not understand why the progressive british people still have monarchy even if its sort of a puppet monarchy .. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    BUT HAPPY BDAY because shes human .. !

13. Joelouis

Good Man!

It was inevitable this thread was going to go to the dogs, so it was good to see at least one decent post.
    I'm not that fussed about the Monarchy as a matter of fact, and some of them should get their heads out of their backsides. I do like the Queen and Prince Phillip though.

I find it surprising that the Royals are more popular in the USA than the UK.

14. 741852963

1. There is a quote button. Use it. Don't just comment attacking my point, it's like thread "hit and run".

2. The royals do very little to contribute to charity, or British society, bar absent mindedly attracting foreign tourists who find them a novelty or "quaint".

Sure they do a few photo opps and ribbon cutting events, or may pose for the cameras with a shovel now and again, but it is not the "contributing greatly" it is made out to be by the media - certainly not compared to the people on the ground literally breaking their backs and giving every waking hour to good causes and to support their communities.

Now don't get me wrong its arguably a start that Prince William has a job, but this should not be over-sold. He works just 20 hours a week (most part-time workers in the UK work about 25), and quite frankly with the wealth he has he should be doing it voluntarily (as he is just taking up the wage of someone who could actually benefit from it). Its a charade.

And with wealth that is certainly one area the Kardashian comparison is apt. They have ripped out a perfectly working luxury kitchen in their pad (a kitchen already worth half my house's cost) and have had a new one fitted at the taxpayer's expense...because, why not? As bad as the Kardashians are, at least they spend their own money on their vulgarity. And it is vulgar, we have people in the UK reliant on foodbanks, and then we have a family born into wealth flashing the cash with free abandon AND getting treated like Saints for doing so? Everyday Kate Middleton wears an outfit costing more than my monthly wage (and I'm not even in a bad job!), include the jewellery and we are probably talking year (or years) worth of salary!

Now of course, royalty is royalty and they need to keep up an extravagant appearance to keep the tourists happy, but why do they have to keep the life of luxury behind the scenes (and funded by taxpayers no less) when so many are suffering? Do they really need a third designer kitchen costing more than a British home?

As an American though, you do have to appreciate you benefit from looking at the royals as an outsider. You don't pay taxes in the UK, nor do you constantly have them in your daily press.

American dress can be so different though, so they cannot be compared like for like. This is Britain, and wealthy British dress is in stark contrast to everyday "poor people" dress. Its a barrier between the haves and have nots. The young royals try to pretend at every opportunity to be "just like us", you know, with "actual real jobs" and all. They should put their money where their mouth is and throw the kid in commoners dress every once in a while!

Overall my view on the royalty, either go full on aristocracy (diamonds and gold everywhere!), or give it all up and slum it. Don't pretend to do the latter whilst still living like a "king". It is patronising.

#34 741852963, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  15. Ryu

Ryu

Don't remind me. I can't stand the royals.

16. Jellal

LOL same

17. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good job to both of you!
    I find it a bit disturbing that some may people have ill wishes to anyone, least of all a 90 year old. I mean I hate Trump and the Kardashians but I don't wish them harm. And by far the Royal family seems far better than the aforementioned people.

18. 741852963

I doubt you would find many people (even people opposed to the royals) actually wishing them harm, and most people do like the Queen.

Some do still hold resentment for her being distant or cold towards Diana though (which was perhaps understandable, of course she would side with her son, love rat or not). There are the conspiracies re Diana's death (with people suggesting her being involved) though which you have to bear in mind. Its like the whole Bush/9-11 business.

She doesn't scrub up that badly, but it is irksome to hear her constantly praised for her looks.

I mean, you could take anyone, give them a lavish upbringing with private education, amazing diet, then spend thousands on hair, makeup, stylists and tens of thousands on outfits and yes they would probably look half decent. It shouldn't be a surprise.

I'm sure with an Armani suit, bleached teeth and veneers, professional makeup, and Beluga Caviar hair treatments or whatever I'd shape up well too.

We don't really get a say, its just the status quo as they have been there so long and do have some benefits (tourist income).

In an ideal world I would like to see all ceremonial ties to politics ended (so not having the Queen doing whatever she does with new Priministers), no Queen's speech on licensed television (she can upload it to Youtube for the people who actually care if she insists), and us scaling back the spending on them. Sure we should make sure Buckingham Palace doesn't crumble away, but new kitchens, ski trips, jewellery etc? Can't they make do with what they have?

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    [YOUTUBE]Vyj_9sIOPzU[/YOUTUBE]

"Her f****** nerve! You could just take your hat off[...] and build a hospital."

Word. Monarchy is seriously evil.

20. guitar

For a second I thought this article title was about me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

...oh come on, that's funny! :grin: