1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question for dog lovers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rudysteiner, Apr 13, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

After almost 2 years of owning a Dogue de Bordeaux and learning to cope with the slobber, the stubbornness, the gentleness and the loyalty of the breed, I have finally come to the conclusion that I will own one for the rest of my life. I grew up with huge dogs (Bullmastiffs, Great Danes, German Shepherds and the like), and don't think any dog smaller will be able to fill the void of not having a dog who weighs more than you, by your side, as he smells every single shit in the park and pisses every 10ft. Though I've said I'll have one for the rest of my life, and I will, I am 100% sure I'll always own two or more breeds at the one time.

So, if you had to pick a breed or a combination of breeds, that to you were the best dog in the world, what would you pick?

It doesn't matter if you've never owned the breed you've mentioned, either, just if you're planning to in the future. The only official 'no', is that it has to be an actual dog.

#1 rudysteiner, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  2. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always loved the big breeds and have said countless times that I will own a Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound, and Scottish Deerhound at some point in my life.

Been raised around smaller breeds my whole life though. Usually poodles and dauchunds

I also wouldn't mind having a corgi and/or a pug and/or a pitbull.
    Hell, I'll take a mutt as well. I just need an animal in my life.

#2 Matto_Corvo, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  3. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever mixed-breed shelter dog captures my heart when I go to adopt, as long as it's over 20 lbs (I really don't like small dogs). My family's dog is mostly shepherd with some boxer and other unknown breed. We had the DNA test done after we adopted him and that's what it found.

4. rudysteiner

Danes are amazing dogs. Ours was the daftest dog I've ever had and I've never met one that could hurt a fly intentionally. It's what I've found with most of the mastiff breeds, bar Fila Brasileiros (not sure of the plural for those), from what I've heard. I love the big sighthound breeds too, but I'm more familiar with scenthounds (Dachschunds, Beagles, Bassets).

I would love love love the chance to own a Pitbull, but they're banned in the UK due to BSL, so unless I move away for a long enough time to own one, I won't get the chance. :frowning2:

5. AKTodd

We love Samoyeds :thumbsup:

We had two for about 14 years, both rescues.

In the last year, we lost our male - Riley - and added a new addition (Max - a Samoyed/Husky mix). Our little female - Tasha - is getting on in years, but is still ticking along.

Todd

6. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I grew up with a Chocolate Lab, had a Red Heeler for a couple years, and currently have 2 Black Lab/Shepherd dogs. I love the larger dogs, and would love to adopt more large breeds if I end up having the space. I'd love to have a German Shepherd, or a Boxer, or Pitbull, or another lab, maybe a yellow lab, then I'd have owned all three. I'd also consider adopting a Corgi, or Dachshund.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel so sorry that pitbulls have such a bad rep. Sadly the first 10 years if my life saw me growing up in a gang heavy place, and dog fights weren't uncommon to see some nights. It is a great and loving breed that people are mistreating.
    Daschunds are a much note aggressive breed than pitbulls, I can tell you that for a fact. My brother had one as a kid, and my eldest brother currently has one, and both would not hesitate to attack someone they did not know. We waited to late to try and socialize them. My cousins daschund was very loving though. He could of never hurt anyone, but in his excitement he would of peed on ya lol.

8. rudysteiner

Pits are lovely dogs. I had one when I was about 12, but she had to be put down at around 7 months because her previous owner had been mistreating her and had broken her leg so severely that it was best let her go. We originally thought she was a SBT, too. :tears:

Re: Dachschunds, I love them, and my dog's groomer has just adopted a 6 m/o miniature smooth-haired pup who savaged my college identification fob upon meeting me. :lol: She owns two Basset Hounds, who are amazing. I'd love to own one in the future.

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Adore Greyhounds. We have two retired racing Greyhounds and they mean the world to us. Very quiet and gentle dogs with a huge heart and amazing running speed... nothing can outrun them and it's an absolute joy to see them at full sprint. :slight_smile:

Very few dog breeds that I dislike, but adore my Grey's.

10. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mum got a pug when I was 13. She still has him now. I don't think I've ever loved a dog as much as I love him. He's about 12 now and we know that he won't have much longer left. We first saw him when he was just a tiny puppy - he was so small he could fit in your hand.

As for pitbulls - I don't have much experience with them but have plenty of experience with Staffies. One of my neighbours growing up had one (still has, actually) and she is the sweetest dog - in all the time we've known her she hasn't once snarled at anyone, never shown any aggressiveness. She has a 4 year old daughter as well.

#10 imnotreallysure, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  11. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I currently have 5 dogs. 2 small ones, and 3 normal sized ones. I love bigs dogs. we cant own one, because it wouldnt fit in our house anymore lol. Id love to have one of those big black german shepherds. or a swiss white shepherd. those are so beautiful. Ill def. get one when i live on my own

12. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love my monsters.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're not puppies anymore and they're both starting to get up there, but they haven't slowed down a bit.

13. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't say there's any dog I don't like but I prefer terriers.

14. tscott

I like terriers and corgis. I've had Jack Russelsl and Scotties. I currently have a Westie. they are sweet and courageous and friendlier than the others. Great dogs. I have always wanted a big dog, but it wasn't right like Scottish Deerhounds or Newfoundlands.