1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on Tumblr and gender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nike007, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. So I hear a lot about the Tumblr community and gender stuff. A lot of people complain on a meme thing I use about gender and that there is only two genders, which makes me doubt my own gender a lot. But I know a lot of people don't like Tumblr about the genders because they make it sound made up or dumb or something like that. Not everyone is like this of course, but many people on the internet believe so. I know the Internet is a place where people can be anonymous and not worry about other people.

Anyways, I was thinking of joining Tumblr for gender reasons, but I'm afraid others judging my gender because I'm on Tumblr. I know it's probably stupid, but that's how I think things are. It's annoying. What are your opinions? Thanks :slight_smile:.

2. Lazuri

Tumblr is cancer. I've gone on loooong rants about it in the past, but that statement really says it all. There's plenty of good people on tumblr and a lot of good creative sharing, but it also full of the dumbest motherfucking morons I've ever seen and they are so unbelievably loud that everything else coming from there gets drowned out.

3. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been on tumblr for about 4/5 years and recently I've explored some of the gender tags but nah, I'm not venturing there again. The 'tucute' tag seems more like a fantasy land. I think that tumblr is just a place which is seemingly inclusive of everyone, and I mean everyone, there is a massive otherkin section on the site and a lot of people both cis and trans just don't understand this which is why tumblr has made gender seem like a joke. I don't think people will judge your gender based on the fact that you have a tumblr account. I mean as long as you're not giving out your url as soon as you meet people they're not likely to know you have an account.

4. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I LOVE the Tumblr trans community. Honestly, it's a place for young kids though. Not adults. If you're looking for somewhere to learn about identities, and get emotional support then Tumblr is awesome, and super open and accepting. If you're looking more for an academic gender setting then, not really the place to go to.

It's an amazing place for a sense of community and to make friends that are similarly identified, but there are a LOT of kids. That's something that people need to understand and take into consideration. Tbh the tumblr trans community is best suited for people 12-15 probably.

5. Lacybi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depends on who you follow. There's a few LGBT+ pages I follow that are good, there's a great alternative music community and most people seem to be lovely. However, there are LGBT+ pages that are a bit too much, if you know what I mean. They have lists of genders and orientations a mile long and get offended about everything. I like tumblr but just be careful who you follow. Who you follow determines what you get out of it. (I made a list of trans people I know on there if you're interested.)

6. AaronV

Yeah, to be honest it's very important to look into who to follow, especially if you just want to join to discuss gender. Otherwise you'll be surrounded by drama 24/7.
    I joined in like 2010 and it's been one hell of a ride. I joined because I was in a few fandoms and honestly, it's a site that can get pretty addicting and seem like a place full of rainbows, sunshine and acceptance, but like everywhere else, there are a few vicious people who don't know what they are talking about. I follow some trans and feminist blogs and some of the hatemail they get is ridiculous, although I will say that some of these blogs also take it a bit far for my own taste. (I'm not saying people are making up genders or whatever, I guess I have just reached the point where I'm unable to keep up and I do not have enough resources aka time and energy to do so.)
    Nowadays I spend way less time on there and just look at the content I'm really interest in and try to not get involved into fandom and shipping wars like I used to and just focus on the wide range of creativity.

My simple advice: Don't tell others about your account if you don't wanna get judged. Most people don't know I have a tumblr and if they know I rarely give away my url, only to my most trusted friends. That way I won't accidentally share personal information with people I don't trust, plus, I can blog about my fandoms in peace. :wink:

7. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Too much drama on Tumblr. I never use it for networking, just looking at pictures of cats and stuff.

A lot of people on tumblr want to be as disadvantaged as possible because they don't want to admit that they have an iota of privilege to check, so they make shit up about everything. Gender, sexuality, mental disorders, etc, etc, etc....there's a huge community of kids on tumblr collecting labels like pokemon just to show that they're anything but average, because god help us, being a somewhat average white girl in high school is almost as bad as being a cis white male, better throw on some colorful labels!

There are a lot of third-gender and non-binary users on tumblr, which is super cool because we need more awareness that there's more to gender than boy or girl, but there's also a lot of users that will tell you their gender is bunny, or clouds, or space. It really feels less like a community, more like a mishmash of legitimate gender studies and infantile concepts of gender (i.e. - "I don't identify as a boy or a girl, I am neutrois and prefer ne/nem/nir pronouns!" vs "gender is just how you feel like and I feel like a cloud! uwu").

Honestly, I wouldn't use it to learn about or explore gender, not through the tags anyway. And it seems like most trans bloggers on the platform give little nods to the community, then blog about other stuff like Marvel movies...with the exception of people like Sophie Labelle that make comics and only post about trans stuff.

8. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. Thanks for all your responses :slight_smile:. I decided that I don't want to join Tumblr because of weird stuff going on there and it's aimed more to younger people. I know my identity and I have here, so I think I'll be fine.

9. Delta

It's a very personalized thing, tumblr. You literally only see the content from people and groups you seek out and choose. It's whatever you want it to be. Don't like drama? Find mature people like you. Also, don't generalize. There are all kinds of people and communities on there. Some really bad, some really great. If you think it's all shit, congratulations on only choosing shit to populate your dash, I guess.

And I agree. Tumblr is not for real life social networking and should not be used as such. It's for connection of people who share the same ideas, and they're there waiting to be found.

10. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello. Sorry if I seem to offend you? I know that there are probably good communities out there, just the Internet, along with the world, likes to show negative instead of positive. So if for some reason someone found out I were on Tumblr for gender, they may think that I'm like the people who think clouds are a gender or something like that instead of finding an actually good group of people who are actually trying to stand up for gender rights.

11. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I use Tumblr for anything other than gender, and when I came out as FtM people doubted me just because I'm on it. Tumblr's really not a good place to learn about gender, it just doesn't make any sense. They'll say gender isn't real, there are no differences between boys and girls, dysphoria is sexist/transphobic, and spread lots of unfounded and fearmongering statistics to spread their politics (e.g. "1 in 12 trans women are murdered"). I think you made a good choice not joining it.

Personally, it just made me confused and depressed because I thought I couldn't be a man because Tumblr said they're all emotionless and if I didn't feel super masculine all the time I must be "genderfluid" despite only wanting to be male. Even if you don't agree with everything, it's a toxic website and it's just not healthy.

#11 baconpox, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  12. InfinityonHigh

Like most any online community, there's some great stuff there. At the same time, some of it very toxic. I use tumblr myself, but I usually browse without ever logging in. Most blogs can be found putting in the url like any other website. It's not the most convenient, but it works. If you don't have an account, you won't get the hate/threats etc. The downside of this is that you won't get to have long conversations with people or join some nets.

I've seen blogs that offer very helpful advice (trans related). Be wise with what blogs you browse and follow. If you do get an account, I'd suggest you keep a low profile and avoid drama. Block people if you need to. You don't need to tell people that you have a Tumblr account, and most people will only ask if they have one themself (if they have one they probably won't judge you for it). As long as it you don't actively advertise your blog, people likely won't know.

13. Delta

Oh, whoops! Sorry if I sounded offended, it's really no skin off my nose whether you love it or hate it. I was just curt because I was busy at the time, I didn't mean to. :slight_smile:

I see what you're saying, and I also worry about that. But, people all over are going to judge non-binary individuals harshly, no matter where we go when we're on the internet, so it's my opinion that it's better to frequent a community I can find support in than avoid it to please others. True, I may lose credibility in other communities, but chances are those communities are the ones I already get no respect in, so honestly I can't summon the energy to worry about them much. :lol:

14. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love tumblr for its fandom stuff.
    I hate it for all its other shit.

It is cancer. It seems harmless at first but then it becomes dangerous. You keep reasoning with yourself that its not, but eventually you realize you need to cut it out of your life.

And not just the gender and sexuality parts of tumblr. After a while even the fandom parts become toxic with heated fandom wars that some people take way to seriously.

15. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to say, I have a tumblr account, but I just couldn't get invested in it enough to stay on it.
    But I can say that for the longest amount of time, the memes that were coming out of people poking at the people on there for the crazy lists of different genders and such got me sort of scared to even consider my gender. I first figured that it was just that most people wouldn't be accepting of anything outside of being male or female, but I eventually just realised that people woudnt of focused on that community if it wasn't for the crazy overreactions from the communities there.

If that didn't make any sense, think about how some people act when you mention feminism, a lot of people will think directly to people such as Cassidy boon or something. Its sort of the same there as well maybe? that doesn't nessisarly mean the community is bad or good, as I don't really know, but if it gets so much hate, well it does mean that there are some people in it that over react to extreme levels there.

16. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is true. I mostly follow blogs for highly specific things, like pictures of hairless cats or weird vintage ads. Because they post consistent kinds of content.

But with personal blogs, all sorts of content happens. Wonderful and terrible.

Mostly I'm just bitter because I was called out for being "cis scum". But it seems like an A+ website for compiling various interests, and a D- website for serious networking.

17. lnamae

lnamae Guest

Basically, this.

18. Delta

What an amazingly apt description. :icon_bigg

#18 Delta, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  19. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I 100% agree with Delta. There's definitely garbage on there, but you choose who to follow, so you choose what posts to see. If you're seeing completely trash, it's because you followed people who post trash. If you want to see posts that are actually reasonable, follow people who are reasonable. I've got a tumblr and my dashboard is mostly music, tv shows, and nice pictures of dogs. When I periodically venture into looking at gender stuff, I just find other people like me and don't follow the people whose views I don't feel like seeing. It's impressively easy to find trans people on there who I agree with and respect just as much as I do with the people here. It's really not the cesspool or "cancer" that people make it out to be. Just avoid the obvious bad things (e.g. the "tucute" tag can be safely eliminated from your list of things you'd ever want to seriously look at) and you'll be fine.

20. Synesthesia

I know how you feel, I'm on Tumblr - not even for gender really, just so I can have an archive of things I like and follow stuff I'm a fan of and discover new music etc. I always worry about how that will be perceived especially recently coming to terms with being non binary (but I still have a lot of confusion about it.) I've actually only been on tumblr actively for about a year though, and I've been questioning my gender for longer.

I feel like if I ever bring it up I have to be on the defensive and explain why I'm on that site, what I'm looking for there etc and distance myself from some of the stupid floating around there.

#20 Synesthesia, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016