1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you realise you were LGBT

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nordland, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just wondering when you guys realised you were LGBT?

For me I have always noticed if guys are handsome far more than girls. But I only really started to have crushes on guys and find them attractive in the last year.

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's always been evident to some degree.. even when I was a young child - but from a sexual POV it became very obvious when I was 11 or 12. I distinctly remember having a dream in Year 6 involving me kissing another boy - certainly an eye opener at the time. This is nearly 10 years ago now.

#2 imnotreallysure, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  3. Natasha Elyssa

It started to pass through my head at 10, 11 years old. It started haunting me when I was 13. I had flashes and thoughts of filling a more feminine roll, and I started to think that I was gay, then bi. All the while, I kept telling myself no and that I couldn't be. I was very internally homophobic, especially since my parents forced me to believe that it was a heinous crime against nature. I was more and more curious and kept researching sexuality and gender. I had these thoughts that led to me looking up transsexuality. When I did that, towards the half-way mark of eight grade, it was as if something clicked. Like something said "Hey! You figured it out!" and I went into a deeper period of questioning. I looked at the evidence, and searched deep within myself. I felt really feminine, and I was growing my hair out long. I would play with my hair while it was wet, and I looked and felt more feminine. I questioned myself for four years, and I'm still kind of questioning my sexual orientation. Being trans is something I figured out and knew after giving it a lot of time and thought. Everything about being transsexual was practically textbook with me. However, my sexual orientation is still something I'm not 100% sure of. I identify as lesbian, and everything about girls is practically god and heaven to me, yet I still find a strong sexual appeal with boys. Soo...still in the dark about that. But, I knew something was off at around ten/eleven, and I've been accepting myself as an LGBT person for over a year now. :slight_smile: <3

4. Funn

Funn Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have just always been infatuated with women. I used to be very affectionate with any women that I thought was pretty, like when I was very little. As I got older, and it got less cute, I realized that it was not considered "normal" for a girl to be attracted to other girls.

If you had asked before then, I would have said I was straight. There was a short time when I would have claimed to be bi. The truth is, I have always found women so appealing, and have never been attracted to men physically.

---------- Post added 1st Feb 2016 at 05:51 PM ----------

Oh and Natasha Elyssa <3 What a beautiful name! I am a little jealous. <3

5. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Looking back I knew at 3 or 4. Growing up I found that both were attractive. Childhood curiosity of I show you mine you show me yours left me with the same feeling. I think about 10 I thought a little more about it. I knew when a certain girl wore a certain shirt and I could clearly see her developing breast I felt a tingle. In the boys bathroom at the same time seeing a certain boys penis gave me the same tingle. Have been in relationships with male and female but still wishing for a soulmate that lasts. Now I don't care who or what gender someone is. Impress me with your humanity, mind, and soul.

6. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Somewhere around 12-13 was when I had my first crush on a guy. Of course, back then I didn't really understand what I was feeling and although I felt attracted to this guy, I still assumed I was straight since that was the 'norm'. Lots of denial crept in. Since I was 21, however, I've accepted the fact that I'm gay and I no longer feel bad about it :slight_smile:

7. Everlong11

Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess it depends on what you mean by realize. When I was 5, I had two male best friends I was very close to in a brotherly, normal friendship sort of way - but I remember I always had this secret want to have a third best friend like we could be uniquely close to just each other. Not in any explicit sexual kind of way, but like we could sleep in the same hammock together and grow up as soul mates and things like that. I was always aware of that, but I never conceptualized it as making me "different" or anything. Later when I hit puberty, I consciously experienced some really obvious and intense physical attraction towards some other guys in my grade - but I was just so unreasonably confident in me being completely straight that I chalked it up to some freak accident of puberty that would go away in a year at the most, and when it didn't, I still ignored it. It took until me being 16 to really sit down with myself and force myself to accept that my sexual orientation was genuinely towards other guys.

8. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Knew when I was 5 that boys are cute. Paid no attention to the females.

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I realized I was gay around 11 and I sorta accepted it at 13 but still go through bouts of denial.

10. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This one time at camp.....

...just kidding i never got sent to camp, my parents loved me.

11. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I realised I'm trans when I went on a vacation to the beach and was jealous of the guys in swim trunks with muscles. I've pretty much always wanted my voice to be lower so that contributed to it. As for sexuality, I knew from a young age that I like girls because I write songs and it always felt more natural for me to write about "her". For a few years I thought I was a lesbian then I learned that trans is a thing and I can become male.

12. 1ring

I didn't know anything about lgbt topics growing up and it took me until I was 14 to realize that I'm not straight. My childhood was very heteronormative and it was never talked about that people could be queer so I assumed the same for myself.

13. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

When I was watching Frozen and Elsa did the hair flip thing and I got this....this feeling....
    In all seriousness, I guess when I started feeling attracted to a friend which was in 8th grade. Although it took longer for me to acknowledge and realize it fully. Elsa helped though.

14. lonewolf79

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Around 14 I knew but didn't think about it or accept it till I was 25, when I came out.

15. guitar

I started feeling *something* toward boys around the age of 10 and seriously pondered it around 13-14, denied it for a good decade, and REALLY figured it out / stopped denying it around 23.

#15 guitar, Feb 1, 2016
  16. Justinian20

I only accepted myself at 20 and I've realized that I ignored a lot of the things I felt when I was younger, for example my big crush on a boy at 15. But I think it goes even further than that. I think with guy best friends I wanted to spend a little too much time with them.

17. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a teen I realized I wasn't experiencing the same sexual desires as other people my age. I wasn't masturbating or thinking about girls or desiring a relationship. I knew something was "amiss" as early as 13 or 14. Of course I assumed back then that things would change, and when they didn't, I realized I might be an ace.

18. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But i really realized and accepted that when i was 24.
    I have some attractions to the same sex during my childhood and adolescence but it makes me ashamed and i always automatically repress this feelings!! I always liked girls who dressed like men!! But i didn't know even if there is lgbt or such thing.

So when environment force us to believe that all people are heterosexual then it can take more time to realize that.

I always knew that i'm different from ordinary(heterosexual) men.
    In the past a few years i knew that there is homosexuals or transsexuals. After a while I think maybe i'm transsexual. But after about two years i realized that i'm gay.
    For the first time i believed that i'm normal and normal.

#18 Vega222, Feb 1, 2016
  19. Uncolored

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was thinking about this in the car this morning and would love to give my honest answer.
    I knew when I was about 4-5 years old. I used to make my Barbies have lesbian sex (I know, I was one of those). I always knew that I was attracted to girls and never took an interest in guys. I did not really peg this as "not normal" until later on in about my teen years. I always assumed that it was normal for women to find other women attractive, why wouldn't they? Women are so gosh darn beautiful of course. That was my thought process. I also thought that I would eventually like guys (even up until a few months ago when I could have sworn that I was straight).
    When realized that I was attracted to women fully in high school I came out to one friend (as bi) and then told two others that I thought I was bi. One was my best friend and I actually kind of fell in love with her (first girl crush). When it leaked in school I was super embarrassed and suppressed it to myself (which is bad, don't do that). It wasn't until a few months ago (right before my 22 birthday) that I unleashed my subconscious thought of loving women and I have not looked back since. However as I am sure you know, it is really hard coming to terms with it, although I accept my lesbian superpowers now.

20. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all happened in the course of about, two or three days a year ago.

That was a rough time.