1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop Battery Problems!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ram90, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6000. I bought it in Sept 2011, so it's pretty old.

The original battery that came with the laptop went kaput in early 2014, so I got myself a new (authorized) battery from HP locally. It's been fine since.

But for the last couple of days, my laptop's been heating up a lot. The Fans been making a lot of sound too. I figured I'm using a lot of RAM and that the graphics card must've been running too (Since I've been playing some games on my laptop last week). I stopped playing games since yesterday and have been using applications carefully (without using several applications simultaneously).

But since yesterday my laptop shut down abruptly twice. When I switch it back on after plugging it in, it showed 60%and 75% respectively.

Since today morning my laptop is charging to 75% quickly, but then lagging. It's getting to 76% after like 15 minutes and then slowly climbing.

So does anyone have any idea of what the problem may be? I know my laptop is old, but it functions well. I haven't had any problem with it a lot. Do I need to get my battery replaced? Or do you think the laptop is overheating because of dust? I can go to my local service provider and ask him to take the laptop apart to dust it.

What should I do? Any advice, suggestions?

2. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For the RAM, do you have a lot of bloatware? Try uninstalling applications which you do not use.

For the overheating, usually the CPU fan stops working properly after some time, so you could get that checked. A malfunctioning fan would definitely cause overheating.

About the battery,
    Try charging it while your laptop is shut down.
    If it charges faster/at normal speed, it is probably a software/OS problem.
    If not, it is most probably a battery problem.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had an HP Pavilion quite a few years ago. It exhibited everything you described. Get the fan checked. If it shuts down when it's plugged in, it could be a fan or motherboard problem. If it only shuts down when it's not plugged in, might be the battery.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's probably shutting down because its overheating, I'd check the fans. If not that, the mobo is probably starting to go on the fritz!

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fan isn't overheating a lot now, since I've been limiting the applications I use. It is shutting down abruptly anytime after my battery level hits below 33% (while not charging). It happened twice. I tested it.

The battery is charging at 1% per minute till it hits 75% after which it is crawling to 1% increase every 20 minutes.

I think it's a battery problem. Would the fan be running more than normal if there is a battery issue?

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No, the battery has nothing to do with the fan unless the battery is overheating badly which makes the laptop run hotter. Which is very unlikely by the way... lol

7. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok. Gotcha. I think I'll nip over to the Laptop Service Center tomorrow. I gotta go nearby to get a new battery for my phone anyway. LOL. All my electronics are having a problem. :grin:.

8. Ihavetojustbeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i have 5% percent left right now

9. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might just be cheaper in the long run (and not much more expensive in the short run) to buy a new, inexpensive, low-power computer. A lot of cheap, lower power laptops rely mostly on passive cooling, much like your phone does. Your phone doesn't have any fans because it runs cool enough to dissipate heat without fans.

10. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Unless it's a Samsung Galaxy, they're known to catch on fire! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True. But my laptop is serving me fine lol. IT has a 8 GB RAM, not something I'm seeing in the latest ones today which are 2 GB or 4 GB. 8 GB RAM laptops don't come cheap nowadays. Also I have to rely on my dad for money to buy me a new laptop. It's cheaper for me to get a new battery and continue with my old laptop since everything else about it is fine. :slight_smile:

:dry: My phone is Samsung Galaxy Grand 2. Thanks for the reassurance.

12. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    New mainstream gaming laptops are coming with 64gb of ram! XD

13. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^

True that. But they cost anywhere between $1,500 - $2,000. Maybe even more.

Unless I'm hardcore gaming, I doubt I'll have a use for that laptop. Maintaining it will be difficult to I assume (considering it's price, the parts maybe expensive too).

My current laptop was purchased at 1/4th the price of that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. joshvolby

here is my diagnostic: your laptop is over heating, playing games when suddenly it shutdown means that the auto shutdown system of your laptop takes place because when it reaches critical temperature level (well for my desktop it auto shutdown when its 80-85 C) making games lagging if not shutdown. why not try to put something under your laptop to make a sure heat wont build up, something like a small book just to create space between your desk and your laptop.

you hearing unusual sounds when starting your laptop: might be because your HDD is damage (if you accidental dropped your laptop it might be the cause).

laptop battery level: its usual that when playing games in laptop it consumes more energy. and it depends if you have other apps running in background. try changing your battery option.

15. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, this thread indicates that it's not serving you well (was the lol to indicate sarcasm?).

Many laptops have removable/upgradable RAM. If your old laptop is one of them, you can switch the RAM out of it and into a laptop of the same memory type (so long as that laptop lets you swap RAM into it as well).

In general, if a laptop is having hardware issues such as overheating, those issues would probably come back later if you opt to repair the device instead of replacing it.

#15 BobObob, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  16. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It wasn't sarcasm. I actually wrote in my first post that my laptop is still serving me well. That's all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm not looking into buying a new one actually. It's cheaper for me to get it fixed by switching out parts if necessary. That'll cost me like 1/6th of the price of a decent laptop.

The only laptop that comes in my budget would be a chromebook, but that isn't really useful for the kind of work I use my laptop for. I agree hardware issues might come back if I opt to repair it, but my laptop will possibly run for atleast another year without crashing again if I get it repaired. That's what I'm hoping for. I'll definitely be able to afford a decent laptop next year.

I didn't mean to offend you or anything.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think they're aimed at people who like to play Witcher 3 while running Fallout 4 in the background. You know, morons.

18. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know right? I still find 8gb plenty. lol

19. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My old pav's fan used to get suuuper dusty. A few shots of compressed air would always help out the cooling.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Best thing you can do is dissasemble the laptop and clean the fans. I do it myself every year with an Asus from '11, and I expect the fucker to go on for at least 5 years more.