1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask Atheists

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thepandaboss, Jan 24, 2016.

1. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We do not hate Jesus. We simply do not believe in the existence of a God, irrespective of the religion. This question is based on the popular ideology that if you are a theist or an atheist, you have to hate the other by dedault.
    That is not true. I am fine with people following any religion, but hey if anyone says stuff like,"You'll pray to God when something bad happens."?, expect nothing but a lot of laughter. LMAO.

Well the calendar that we follow, has a reference point 2016 years ago. Ergo, we assume it to be the start of the calender, not of earth, space, time or the universe itself.
    Imagine having a calender which had a reference point at the Big Bang, now you're alking about 10 to 20 thousand million years.
    Seriously, don't try writing it down :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#161 mychemromance99, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. Distant Echo

You see, you want me to say there is a religion I find acceptable. There isn't.
    I don't believe in the basic idea of a religion, that there is an almighty being that is responsible for life. I don't worship fantasy figures....

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it took several days but people finally misinterpreted my joke question. :lol:

4. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on the context I suppose, but in most situations, I just figure it's either something neutral they say to everyone or they are just trying to be nice and I don't see any reason to be offended about it.

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2016 at 06:37 AM ----------

Re: various versions of "where do atheists get their morals from"

My ideas about right and wrong come from the same place as my ideas about just about anything else.

They come from what my parents, teachers, various other authority figures, people I respect, people I don't respect (i.e. examples of what not to do), life experiences, things I've read, listened to, seen on TV, etc. Self-interest, empathy and cost-benefit analysis also play a role.

Some of my moralistic beliefs have remained relatively the same over my lifetime, others have changed drastically as I have encountered new information and accumulated more life experiences.

I don't think anyone has any moral authority beyond what the person they are trying to impose their authority upon grants them.

My basic creed is "live and let live." It is only when a person's choices run counter to other people's interests, particularly my own, that I feel the need impose my own morals.

5. BioChemist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What made you want to become an atheist or have you always been one?

6. AKTodd

The dental plan. It was definitely the dental plan. :lol:

Ok, rather more seriously - it wasn't a matter of 'wanting' to become anything - not in the sense of wanting to be an astronaut of the like. Rather it was a matter of not seeing anything convincing about religion or the idea of the supernatural or spirituality or any kind of diety in the face of empirical scientific evidence and my own observation in life.

The fact that my family was not at all religious and we kids were left to make up our own minds about religion probably helped, but since we were truly left to decide on our own (when I was a kid, I read various chunks of the bible from time to time), I suppose it could have gone the other way. But it didn't.

Todd

7. animegeek

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont believe in hell

8. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I didn't want to be an atheist. I was raised under Christianity but I didn't buy 90% of what was said, even as a child. I actually stopped believing in any gods months before I stopped believing in Santa. It wasn't really a voluntary process, it just happened. Thankfully I became a better person from the experience, contrary to what my parents thought would happen.

9. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I have always been atheist. I was born that way . I have just never found a reason to need a religion so I never acquired one.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2016 at 10:09 PM ----------

I don't understand why life has to have 'meaning', it's enough for me that I am alive,and that I have the opportunity to spend whatever time I have learning, growing and interacting with people. The death of the universe billions of years after I have ceased to exist doesn't bother me. I won't be there.

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2016 at 10:13 PM ----------

What about all the time you didn't exist before you were born....Billions of years where you didn't yet exist? If all that time before your life doesn't bother you I am not sure why the billions of years of non-existence after your death would?

10. Distant Echo

I wasn't bought up with a religion, I chose later not to follow one. My kids have also been bought up with no religion. One has chosen to follow one.
    No big deal either way.
    I don't get why people feel threatened by atheists' lack of religion.

11. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I had any awareness. I never became religious in the first place, so there was no need to 'become' atheist.

To my mind the question is a bit odd as I don't think that anyone is actually born with a religion ( they may be born into a religious background and therefore quickly become religious).

My mother was nominally christian but not overly demonstrative about it . I have no idea whether my father had any religious beliefs. I don't think he did, but it was never a topic of interest to me so I never asked him what, if anything, he believed. My sister went through a religious period in her 20s and my brother also did christianity for a while. He has moved on from that and the last time the subject came up a few years ago he indicated to me that he was atheist with strong leanings towards buddhist philosophy ( yes, I think one can be atheist and buddhist since there is no god in the buddhist system).

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2016 at 10:35 PM ----------

I am trying to think of a way to answer this that won't come across as offensive. I guess it would be on par with me asking you "If you decided one day to believe that one mythological animal was actually real, which one would you decide to believe in?"

I find all religions implausible. I cannot conceive of a set of circumstances under which that would change because the concept of religion just doesn't work for me. Accordingly the question does't work for me because to answer it honestly I would need to be able to imagine accepting a religion as valid.

12. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What Todd said. Also, I was promised a free toaster.

13. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Damn, why wasn't I informed of this? :grin:

Anyone got any questions they'd like to ask me? (I'm an atheist) :eusa_danc

14. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

If you don't believe in God, then why do you say 'Oh my God'?

And if the rule that society and religion can agree on is ''treat others how you wish to be treated'', why do you find it acceptable to say this, when you wouldn't want religious people using words you find offensive? [most religious people would find the use of 'Oh my God' ,when not actually talking about God, offensive]

Thank-you.

15. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

1) Habit- and freedom to do so. Now, up until the age of 12 I was a Christian. I was raised in a Christian school, despite having parents that are atheists. They sent me to that school because it had a good reputation- only when I went there it was simply terrible. But I digress.

When I was religious, I felt very trapped in what I could/couldn't do and say. It was a constant monitoring of my actions, making sure I didn't slip up somewhere- which was next to impossible.

So when I became an atheist (due to unrelated reasons, but that's a story for another time)- it was a lot more freeing. Less rules, less punishing myself constantly. I could do what I wanted! Like wearing my hair however I like because I don't have to care about being vain now. I didn't have to feel terrible for wearing clothes made out of more than one fibre. I could learn a new language without feeling bad. I could swear, and say OMG! all I wanted.

So I went through a phase where I went a bit over the top- pink nails, straightened hair, saying oh my God, swearing, just because I could. I liked this feeling of rebellion.

I soon found it wasn't for me though, as I felt rather uncomfortable in a skirt and pink nails- and straightening my hair was way too much effort to deal with on a regular basis. (I have pretty frizzy hair, so it takes a while to get it to go straight). Plus, I didn't like the fake popularity it gained me.

In this time I spent a lot of hours deciding on what I thought was morally acceptable, and what was not. I liked the feeling of being able to define my own rules and where I stand for once.

True- it can be offensive to religious people. However, I have quite a few religious friends (mainly Christian, I have a friend who is a Muslim though) and many of them use OMG all the time, even more so than me.

It's an incredibly common expression- so many people say it without thinking about it, since it's just so ingrained in society.

I'll admit it's an odd one though.

2) Although there is some truth to that saying, there are some flaws with it too. You may want to be treated like s:***:it, because of self-hatred, and if they followed that rule- they'd make others feel the same. They wish to be treated like that because they think that's what is best for them- they think they deserve it. And maybe they'd go on to think that if they deserve it, others must too. My point being, nearly everything in life can be twisted and made dangerous when in the wrong hands.

I can't think of words that religious people could use against me, but honestly I wouldn't mind. I've probably heard it all at this point- and like to be insulted sometimes, it helps me understand how people perceive me and if I need to change how I come across. It can also help me think about things and later come up with arguments against such insults being used. I mean at this point- I'd probably just laugh and ask them if that's all they've got.

As I said before- I know many religious people who love using the word (I've even met some that claim that OMG is their favourite expression). But if they complain and say they would prefer me not to say it, I'll stop. Even if they are technically judging me to do so. And I don't care if religious people insult me, I've probably heard it all.

#175 Canterpiece, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't say that. Anyway, if an atheist does that, it's most likely out of habit. =) You don't have to believe in God in order to say "oh my God", you know. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't agree with that rule, I think it's flawed.. I do think it's okay for people to say "oh my God". For me those words have nothing to do with some god, it's just an expression. I do think that, if you know some people don't like it, it may be a good idea to avoid saying it. =)

17. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Have any of you lost friends because you're atheists?

18. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not personally, but it still baffles my friend that I'm an atheist. She just doesn't "get" it. But we still get on just fine, well... we have drifted apart recently. Just because I've moved and I haven't talked to her for a while... but still.

So personally, no. I have never lost any friends because of it. :slight_smile:

19. AKTodd

Out of habit due to growing up in a culture that throws that phrase around quite readily.

As far as the second question - I've seen plenty of people use this phrasing and presumably the majority of them would identify as Christian given where I live. Only some Christians find 'taking the Lord's name in vain' offensive. If I specifically know that someone I'm around would find it offensive, then I'll most likely manage my language around them, assuming I care enough about them to feel like giving their feelings any consideration.

Todd

---------- Post added 30th Jan 2016 at 03:22 PM ----------

Nope.

Todd

20. Funn

Funn Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am Christian, and I am a little disappointed at some of the cheap shots that Christians seem to be trying to take here...

To my fellow believers, God is not looking to you to prove His existence or His authority. Even if you managed to stump an atheist, you will have accomplished nothing for the Kingdom. Give people love. That is your responsibility. Look to Matthew 28:16-20 if you want to know how you aught to be focusing your efforts as a Christian.

I do have a question for atheists though. As a Christian, I find my value in God and his view of me. Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." and Romans 8:37 says “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.”
    So I know how God sees me, and I know that His view of me is not dependent on time, or my actions. He simply chooses to see me as something beautiful, no matter what.

My question is this, where do you find that kind of value? I don't mean temporary happiness or satisfaction. I mean how do you manage to believe that you have any intrinsic value, while also believing that you are a flawed human with no means of redemption.

I really do not mean to imply that you have no value, I am honestly asking where you find it. I am not implying that you cannot find it.