1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions You've Always Wanted to Ask Atheists

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thepandaboss, Jan 24, 2016.

1. thepandaboss

Because it's time we got our own question thread.

2. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    1)I am agnostic because I believe that it's impossible for us to know in our mortal lives whether God exists or not and its impossible for us to let people know after death either ! So how are you guys so sure about the lack of existence of God? I totally understand how God could be just a psychological comfort blanket of mind,often just the answer to gaps in the knowledge of the earth, etc ,etc .But do you or can you firmly reject miracles and things are beyond our control? How can you be so sure he doesn't exist even if science is complete and we understand everything on earth ? Probably its just gods will to make us believe that way? We have only a limited number of senses through which we perceive things around us ,these senses further have limitations too! Yes science has progressed to understand certain things that cannot be perceived by human senses, but there is a possibility of so many things that we can't perceive and dimensions that cant be understood by human mind? Don't you think this can be a link to God? I sometimes come to think of probability as gods way! Is it impossible for science to be the way through which God created earth? Like how we create things through scientific knowledge? All I'm saying is I understand these possibilities are very rare and may not be true, but the rarity of these doesn't rule out the possibility of existence of a God!
    2) if I believed in the law of attraction or even spirituality but not in god , can I still be an atheist? Because what we mostly talk about in these is energy which can actually be scientifically accurate?
    3) why are atheists so intolerant to spiritual science and existence of science in religion, for example Hinduism has the Vedas which have a lot of scientific knowledge !

3. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm bordering on atheist but the one question that keeps me at the God party is this.

What came before the Big Bang?

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The universe is constantly expanding until it hits a point where it begins to contract (and again, this takes billions, if not trillions of years to get to this point.) The Big Bang happened when all the matter in the universe became so compacted and compressed that it had to begin expanding again. So the universe is, and always has been.

5. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Then where and how did it come into existence in the first place? OK so if the universe is expanding and contracts after it reaches the limit , where does this occur in? Where does the universe expand into and where does it contract in? I've been told that extend universe transcends dimensions of space and hence there is no question as to " where is this happening? " so what if the universe which is beyond all the dimensions we perceive and understand in itself is God?
    Also with the reply you gave how do you justify the multiverse theory ?
    I know not understanding something doesn't mean that the un understandable is the creation of God, but I think it's much above our ability to decide the existence or lack of the same of a God!

6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is it possible that a part of being an atheist would mean that where a religious guy would term God as the source of something (for example say creation of life, whatever), an Atheist would credit it to Science or something?

Just a thought.

7. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I knew this thread would happen! XD

8. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Me too! Hahahaha!!!
    _________

I have a question for ex-religious/ex-believer atheists. Do you think it is possible for atheists to go back from being religious or believer again?

9. Distant Echo

So....where are the questions lol.

10. thepandaboss

Well, sort of? Science is basically the study of life and the idea is that we're making educated guesses based on our knowledge of the world thus far to explain natural phenomena. One note. When we use the term theory, this doesn't mean 'a good guess." It means it's an idea that's been tested, we can reliably assume that it's true, but if evidence comes to replace our theory, we go back to the drawing board.

I'm a little drunk right now so I hope that makes sense.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Are you prepared to fry in Hell for the rest of eternity? :confused:

12. thepandaboss

I'm bringing barbecue with me when I drop dead. :grin:

13. Distant Echo

Atheists don't believe in hell....but give an Aussie a good excuse for a BBQ any day :wink:

14. tulipinacup

Ok if the earth is a billion years old how come it's the year 2016??? checkmate, Atheists!

15. Distant Echo

Because there were no humans on earth when it formed to start a calendar....

16. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would contribute to the answers, but I seem to be the type who always ends up offending somebody. :lol:

17. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A few notes here. Since there is nothing more in common with atheists except lack of belief in supernatural gods this thread can't really speak for atheists in general but naturally any atheist can speak for themselves.

As a matter of fact I am not and cannot be sure of this so technically that makes me an agnostic. However, based on all the information that I have available my belief that god(s= does/do not exist asymptotically approaches certainty so in practice I'm defacto atheist. This little distinction of practical certainty and theoretical certainty is just cosmetic for me.

Talk about law of attraction or spirituality being energy is scientifically speaking utter non-sense. However, being an atheist means nothing more than lack of belief in gods so yes, this person could be atheist. An atheist can believe in fairies and witches but an atheist cannot believe in gods.

This depends entirely on person and is not something that is even a general trend. I know a lot of "elitist" atheists who support religion for the "dumb" masses while they themselves reject all religious non-sense. These people are also upset to the atheists who wish to eradicate unreason (including religion) from the face of the earth.

This is not scientific view. This is pure speculation that has no scientific evidence to back it up. The current evidence points out towards an infinitely expanding and ever cooling universe. Check out the "heat death of the universe".

This is a fair question and I do my best trying to answer it. The problem giving answer to this is that at the big bang laws of physics as we know them now did not exist or did exist but the laws that govern such extreme conditions are not understood yet. One thing that confuses people is time. The thing is that time as we understand it did not exist before big bang and hence asking what was before that is a little bit like asking "what will happen yesterday?"

But to give you an even more condense answer: we do not know (yet) and there is no shame in that. Personally I believe that we have not even come close to understanding all the laws that govern our universe but we certainly will never stop looking for answers.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2016 at 12:10 PM ----------

Science is a method and way of answering questions. Science does not do anything, we do science. In my opinion this comparison is not very good. A better one would be that a religious person is happy with whatever story his ancestors came up with about our universe where as scientific atheist (there are hippie atheists who believe in mother earth and shit) is interested finding evidence of what actually happened and happens.

---------- Post added 25th Jan 2016 at 12:14 PM ----------

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do you hate Jesus?

19. Distant Echo

I don't hate Jesus. I don't believe in his existence.

20. SpiderGwen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Every religion I was ever privy to has spent my entire life telling me I'm going there regardless. Either because my sexuality is an abomination, or my gender identity is an affront to God, or because I think about sex way too much and lust is, like, bad or something, or because I actually expect an omnipotent, benevolent being to act as such, or because I've dared to ask for evidence, or expected a direct answer from the source, or because I listen to the wrong music, laughed at the wrong joke, went to the wrong church, applied logic to religious concepts, or because the only way to get into Heaven is to accept the rule of a malevolent, abusive tyrant who decided long before I ever existed whether or not he was going to actually let me into his paradise.

Or... maybe there is no Hell and therefore, I kind of don't worry about it, so much.