being bullied?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by davidfreckelton, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was bullied in middle and high school. I was your typical bully target. Shy, quiet, awkward, scrawny, and nerdy/geeky (I'm still those things really. lol).

In middle school it was mainly your classic ignorant racist remarks. Apparently the only Asians people knew of back then were Chinese. I did get shoved down some asphalt once though. Face first. There was blood, tears, and hydrogen peroxide. There was also that time a bunch of guys messed with me in the bathroom. Took all the toilet paper and such. Thus, my phobia of using public restrooms was born.

I'd like to end on a good note though, so I'll tell this one...
    In high school there were a group of guys who would always mess with me (throwing stuff, saying mean things, etc.) and disliked me for some reason (maybe they could tell I was gay *shrugs* lol). One day they stole something from my bag without me noticing (I believe it was video games my brother had loaned me). I only realized it was gone when I went to look for it after school. The next day, this guy from my gym class just comes up to me and gives it back to me and told me not to mind those jerks and that they wouldn't be bothering me anymore. I wish we became friends, but I think he was just being a nice guy. Plus, I never had classes with him again or saw him around much. I've never forgotten that though.

2. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was popular in primary school. I even had lackeys.

I was bullied in high school. They pretended to be my friends. They stole my money. They hit me. They're the main reason I hate cell phones.

I was treated fairly in college. There were just a few annoying cases.

Special group, one overly idealistic social worker, and many medical professionals later... I've made decent progress.

3. Kinky

Kinky Guest

The one overly idealistic social worker makes my an-interesting-story! sense tingling..

4. Joelouis

This is so true.

I was (or so I thought) best mates with a guy who I gave work to, and helped out when he wasn't in the best of health. He turned out to be the most horrible liar and back-stabber I have known.
    I was told by a few what he was like, but I thought it was them who had wronged him as he often told me bad things about them.

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2016 at 04:32 PM ----------

As for bullying at school, another kid had a habit of taking my Manchester United football top from my kit bag. It eventually stopped, thanks to another friend stepping in.

5. Plattyrex

That doesn't always work though. Sometimes they don't care at all.

6. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In 5th grade I was picked on for always being with boys instead of girls and not playing with dolls, I also had short short hair because when I was younger I had cut my hair so i looked like my big brother (Or biwg bouther back then), nothing to bad really, just names.

#26 Kellian, Jan 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was my high school's idea. Basically this 30-something year old woman would pick me up from my home, drive me around in her car, buy chips for me, and talk about random bullshit. One of the first things she told me was everyone can be special. And she'd always give me her motto "Don't worry. Everything will slide into place."

We went on a few fun trips with some teenagers; a girl who believed she was married to a celebrity, another girl who seemed quite normal, and a boy who seemed oblivious to my attempts to befriend him. I don't remember anything super interesting happening and I have no idea what I was supposed to learn from it lol

8. eMei

I've never been bullied but went through some years of being occasionally picked on. That's changed now I'm not as shy, talk a lot more and defend myself. If anyone ever irritates me I like to listen to music like Bebe Rexha's I'm Gonna Show You Crazy :grin:

I used to get comments about being friends with girls which made me feel uncomfortable but no one cares any more. So yeah, I've gone up in the social ladder.

9. Eiji

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was bullied quite frequently through elementary and middle school. From 5th grade till 10th grade was the worse, and I still have lingering social issues following from it. I am just glad I barely escaped the social media platforms that is such an issue today. I had people take photos of me in the shower after PE. luckily at that time mobiles had bad camera quality, and you didn't really have places to post it online I guess. I mean there was but not like now. But I got them to delete them luckily for me.

There was also two guys that would always put me down all through middle school, and it was just awful.

10. Justinian20

I was bullied at school, it was always verbal never physical and some people who you think are friends can be the worst bullies of all. I was also a bit oblivious to some bullying especially after grade 10, probably cause I stopped caring about anyone at school. They could've all died and I wouldn't have cared. I stood up to bullies in primary school despite being the smallest and weakest boy. I even somewhat got befriended by the bullies, but I never did partake in bullying. I will admit I did say really mean things in later high school as I didn't care, but for me that wasn't bullying it was brutal honesty.

11. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I look at old photos of me as a kid, I understand a little why I was made fun of. I was really a clueless boy...
    I've also been bullied as a kid, but I've bullied others as well.

And everyone was so fake growing up, maybe that's the reason why I'm not really friends with anyone I grew up with. :rolle:

12. headsup1958

I'd like to tell you about some bullying I endured in my workplace. I'm quite a bit older than the OP (original poster) but your question resonated with me and got me thinking. About 12 years ago I was often subtly and not so subtly bullied by a couple people I worked with: one being my manager and the other a friend of the manager. Because of office politics and the fear of retribution, there was nothing I could do to stop it.

I was not "out" then but rumors and ridicule followed me for most of my career at this company which I eventually left. The thing is, the friend of the manager had a son who was in the same grade and class as a 13 year old boy who committed suicide. The boy was mercilessly bullied on false rumors that he was gay. I found this out later and realized that this classmate learned the behavior from his father who STILL hadn't learned his lesson.

The father of the 13 year old began to lobby the State Legislature who eventually passed the Bullying Prevention Policy Law in 2004 and the Suicide Prevention Law (Act 114) in 2005.

Here is the link to the Wikipedia story about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Ryan_Halligan

It's too bad that an innocent young boy of 13 had to take his own life at the hands of his bullies at school. This story is so sad.