1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Knots in my back?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DreamerBoy17, Dec 29, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the past few months, I've been extremely stressed, anxious, and depressive. I've noticed that my upper back has the tendency to get what my mom calls "knots". It appears that the some of the muscles get tense and sore. The only thing I've found so far to relieve these knots is by having the areas massaged thoroughly, which hurts, but it brings the area back to normal for a short while. The muscles easily get knotted again, though, due to the stress.

Does anyone have the technical term for these and advice for how to deal with them?

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Gen

Gen

Muscle knots are simply muscles that are continuously tensed. There are more scientific terms and explanations for them, but even most professionals refer to them are knots or having a knot.

They aren't complications or anything. They are ultimately the equivalent of working out too hard and having a tense or strained muscle. Mental stress puts our bodies under stress. It causes us to cringe and tense ourselves more often and that results in our muscles becoming tense and strained. However, they are not breaking down. There is nothing dangerous about them. It is simply one of the ways that we can tell that we are stressed and need to make an effort to relax our minds and bodies more. It is like when you receive a headache from dehydration. The real issue is the dehydration. The headache is just the result of it.

Try to pinpoint the sources of your stress and do your best to bring an end to it.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you, this was helpful.

5. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are some exercises when one is using massage balls (some people do it even with a tennis ball) either using a wall in a standing position or laying down on the floor. What you do is that in order to release the knots you massage the area softly first, then harder and you try to find the knots and apply a firm pressure to them. Form rollers are also great for self-massage. There are many demonstrating videos online.

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second this. I have a foam roller and massage ball kit that I got online for like $25 and it's been a godsend for my shoulder and hip pain. If you look for exercises on Google or YouTube you can find instructions on exercises based on the areas where you're feeling pain.