1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star wars: The force awakens

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by roryoswinpond, Dec 18, 2015.

1. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mostly speculation with a hint of spoiler ...

The only problem with this theory is if Luke trained the next generation of the Jedi (including the bad boy Kylo Ren) why would he not train his own daughter? Now we enter the world of speculation. Perhaps she was illegitimate and not known to Luke. That doesn't seem very Disneyesque. Perhaps Luke trained her then wiped her memory after Kylo started his adolescent fling with the dark side. Guess we have to wait until Episode VIII :tantrum:

#21 SiennaFire, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it was good... Had a nice Apocolypse now ref

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    One thing that wasn't that great was that it was basically episode 4 all over again - I mean, it all started with a poor young person on a desert planet who longed for something greater and had an infatuation with the rebels; the blowing up of Death Star 2.0 - it's all really similar to ep. 4

4. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Mark Hamill had the easiest role in movie history. :dry: Part of it might've been related to something my BF said he saw a couple of years ago, a pic of the actor. My DF said it looked like he could've played the part of Jabba the Hut instead of Skywalker. :frowning2: According to some news sources Hamill lost 50 lbs or 22.7 KG for the movie role, but with the scene I saw I don't know how anyone could tell one way or the other.

5. Lazuri

The empire in the original movies was basically based on Nazi germany. Pieces of the stormtrooper armor is based on Wehrmacht gear and most of the stormtrooper's weapons were weapons that the nazis used in WWII that they modified to look a bit different. Hell, even Han uses a modified Mauser. Also, "Hoth" was the name of a nazi general So it was nothing new and it was not coincidental.

As for my opinion on the movie, I absolutely loved it. I managed to do something very difficult, which was to go in completely fresh. I had not even seen a single trailer so my expectations had not been elevated at all and I ended up loving it.

I also really like Kylo Ren as a villain. I've seen a lot of complaints about him saying he's a poor replacement for Vader, but they're really missing the point. Vader was the all-powerful-asshole-to-overcome type of villain whereas Kylo is a rival type villain; he's actually not that powerful and I'm sure the movies will see him grow in the same pace as the heroes.

His lack of skill can be seen in pretty much everything he does from his poor confidence, his temper tantrums and even his lightsaber. The reason his lightsaber blade is so unfocused is because he doesn't know how to build one properly--even the crossguard of the saber are actually exhausts that are there to vent the raw power that is a result of the sabers crappy construction.

---------- Post added 25th Dec 2015 at 08:04 PM ----------

It was the robes. I've seen pictures of his look in the future and it's a lot more noticeable. Not to mention the pictures of Mark Hamill off set. He's really thin in comparison to older pictures of him--the guy is essentially back to his original trilogy physique.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am going to go against the grain on this having just saw the movie yesterday with my brother. We both saw the original when I was 7 and he was nine years old. And I probably saw the original three movies about 50 times each!

To me, I thought the movies was too formulaic and cliche. Nothing surprised me in the movie. Nothing! And I wanted to be surprised! Now, I did not read any spoilers before the movie and I did not know how the movie was going to play out. But it seemed as if the writer simply polled the universe of Star Wars fans and asked everyone how they think the next movie should go, and wrote the movie based on marketing results.

I thought the movie was entertaining and I did enjoy watching it. The photography was great, using actual on location scenes was brilliant, the effects superb and the action face paced; but it did not challenge me in a way that I was otherwise expecting to be challenged.

Maybe I need to watch it again and see if there were undercurrents that I missed. I am sure there were. I hope there were.

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have a fair point, yeah. And I think that probably that was on Disney's message to the witers when they acquired Lucasfilm:
    "We're trying to get new young fans, while not alienating the old ones. Oh, and include the old cast passing the baton to the new ones. So no surprises, please. Just mash together the best points of episodes IV and V".

Though it does improve on multiple viewings. I stopped paying attention to the story and started appreciating the tons of little things that give the movie that stamp of love that the originals had. Things like BB8's reaction to everything. Or how much Poe is just having fun whenever he's in a cockpit. Or Finn's reactions. Or the perfect acting between Han and Kylo Ren (that time when he just touches Kylo's cheek is... magical).

But yeah. I do hope that after playing safe for the big reboot, they'll mix it up again in the next movies.

8. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with OTH on this. While I thought the movie was exciting and well produced, I posted previously that I left the theatre underwhelmed. The notion that the movie was designed by committee to appeal to both new and existing fans explains why the movie was missing the wow factor I was hoping for. Hopefully multiple viewings will help me appreciate the movie more for what it is, rather than what I want it to be.

#28 SiennaFire, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    BB8's reaction were indeed touching. Agreed. But the entire time I was watching it, I kept asking how the head was able to stay on the body without popping off! :slight_smile:

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Just been to see the film and it was brilliant. It felt very similar to the originals.

11. Psaurus918

Loved it...can't wait until the next movie!

12. Patagonia

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I took my daughter. No, my daughter took me. I liked it because I think Rey is an absolutely fabulous role model for young women and girls. Quite different from the original Star Wars that had Carrie Fisher running around in that bikini thing. (Ok, dont hate on me for that one). No, it was really great. The only part of the day I didn't care for was watching all those trailers for the next bunch of apocalyptic stinkers that have all sorts of troublemakers from outer space, hell and biotechnology labs gone haywire. Yuck!

13. Lazuri

Are you serious? She wore it once because she was enslaved. She also took exception to that and choked the life out of the one that enslaved her with the very chain that was supposed to keep her leashed.

14. Lyana

I personally also despised that gold bikini scene... not that she didn't look good in it. I just saw no point to it. It really didn't add anything to the scene and made me uncomfortable. But it's unfair to say Rey is a great feminist role model and nothing at all like Leia. Apart from that scene Leia's clothing was very non-sexual -- that's part of the reason the scene just felt very strange. Her choking him afterwards was cool, and throughout most of the movies she is a strong, take-charge person who isn't afraid of defying anyone.
    (And while we're talking about clothes, I loved Daisy Ridley/Rey's clothing in The Force Awakens.)

I've seen the movie twice, so it's safe to say I didn't hate it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I honestly went into it expecting to be disappointed, and I came out of it powered up with enthusiasm. I was babbling excitedly all the way home. Now I can't wait for Ep 8.
    3D was useless, however -- I preferred watching it in 2D.
    I love Kylo Ren's fragility -- and find him the most interesting character of the episode --, I love Rey, I love Finn and Poe, and I'm absolutely in love with BB-8.
    I do think it was too close to A New Hope, and I didn't like the whole "it's a new Death Star" thing. They even called it out in the movie itself, but that doesn't make it okay to be so... unoriginal. And finding the weak spot was just too easy.
    I kinda wasn't a big fan of Rey being so good with the Force and I really hope her past is explored in Ep 8 and there's, well, an explanation. Also, Finn holding his own with a lightsaber against Kylo Ren... Meh.
    The Supreme Leader left me absolutely cold. He bored me. I don't care about him, I have no idea where he's from or who he is. Move on, show me more Kylo, please.
    Over all, plot not so great, at least not as a standalone, but the characters are excellent and it was so much fun.

I am now so in the mood for Star Wars fanfiction. ^^

15. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I really enjoyed the movie. It was exciting and I liked the humor in it. I feel like they've put more emphasis on that in this part, haven't they?

The story was just so similar to the films before (I mean, a death star again? seriously?)

I loved it anyways, especially that a woman is the main character now and she gets to play the strong one! Yey!

16. Lazuri

People seem to forget that Finn was a stormtrooper and hence trained from birth. He's had waaaay more combat training than Kylo has had. Him holding his own against Kylo isn't that weird and especially not when Kylo was already wounded by Chewie.

17. 741852963

Definitely.

I was practically dragged to see both the Star Wars and Star Trek films. They do nothing for me.

The next day I was raving about Star Trek, loved it.

After Star Wars though, I just felt "well I'm not getting that £12 back"

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2015 at 04:14 PM ----------

This. I'm sure it was created partly as a male fantasy, but the overall end-result is actually a pretty feminist one.

You have the notions of Jabba controlling her body (much like sex traffickers in real life), and her staying strong and overcoming him (or alternatively using her body as a weapon to infiltrate and call the shots).

---------- Post added 27th Dec 2015 at 04:19 PM ----------

I didn't appreciate the 3D. 3D darkens films, so when you have scenes set in already dark settings (i.e. deep space) it just becomes hard to see anything.

It also makes me tired, I swear I've seen people discussing scenes in this I cannot even recall (people were saying their was a bit with Poe in space before attacking the DeathStar interior...what?!). I'm honestly not sure whether I either fell asleep or perhaps just missed it due to the 3D and me zoning out.

18. Plattyrex

I saw this like a week ago and it's sat surprisingly well with me. I remember when I first saw the prequels was immediately after watching the original trilogy. I thought they were okay at first, but the more I reflected on them the more I disliked them. This is kind of the opposite. I think it really was a solid film. I really liked Kylo Ren as a villain, he seemed kind of like a good version of what they were trying to do with Anakin in the prequels. The effects were absolutely incredible, and I hope the next movies continue with the practical effects. I didn't like Rey nearly as much as Luke, but she was definitely better than Anakin and the other new characters were good enough that it really didn't matter. I thought Harrison Ford did a great job portraying an older Han Solo, which I think was the highlight of the film for me. Omigod, is so freaking good.

#38 Plattyrex, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  19. eclair

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I loved the characters so much that I sort of forgave the unoriginal plot. (!)
    My only major gripe is that Captain Phasma didn't really do anything despite the hype.
    (Does that count as a spoiler?)

I also really liked Rey's Theme, despite most people thinking the soundtrack was underwhelming.

My personal headcanon is that Rey is Kylo Ren's sister. But oh well.

20. Leliana

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I LOVED it! I want to go back and see it again it was so good :grin: