1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feminism...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Secrets5, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

This is just a question for homosexual cis&trans women [sorry men, non-binary and straight women, you can answer if you want, but it won't be on my results].

1. Do you consider yourself a feminist?

2. Are you a radical feminist [i.e. thinking all men are evil, wanting to abuse men]?

I'm just interested to know as I've heard some people say ''lesbian women are radical feminists'' and wanted to know actual numbers and separate this from liberal feminists [wanting to be equal with men, working to solve the inequalities men face].

I ask you're not offended by these questions, I'm not saying anything of anyone until you answer. But what I do ask is you answer honestly.

Thank-you.

#1 Secrets5, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  2. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I consider myself a feminist. I mean I'm not going to oppose having rights am I? Women wouldn't be able to vote without feminism.

No, I'm not a "radical" feminist. Although I prefer to use the term extremist to describe these types of people who hold such views. I mean, by definition such people are not technically feminists because a feminist is someone who believes in equality between the sexes, not superiority. The term you are looking for here is a misandrist.

Although, historically speaking there was a small movement in feminism where straight women would pursue relationships with women to prove that they didn't need men and to try and advocate LGBT rights. Many women who were actually lesbians and possibly some bi women spoke out against such women, saying that even though they were trying to help the LGBT community their intentions were misplaced and actually were doing the community more harm than good.

#2 Canterpiece, Dec 2, 2015
  3. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I consider myself a feminist. But not a radical feminist, no. Like Canterpiece said, "radical feminists" are technically not even feminists, hating men is not what feminism stands for.

4. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmmmm i maybe a man but to be honest sometimes i turn into a big feminist bitch who wants to kill all men but himself !!! they do get on my nerves with their stupid mind and way of living yes i'm a man but i just cant find another man who can live up to me until now
    i know them only on EC
    maybe cause the middle east is full of super religious super masculine men
    i really do think sometimes that all men are stupid and i start talking to girls like i'm the only angel of men
    and say "lets leave men out of our lives they are all pigs and evil " lol yes im all weird with this but i guess its ok

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm don't identify as female, but I'll be more than welcome to share my input. :slight_smile:

1. Yes, I do consider myself a feminist. I believe in equality at the intersection of gender and other intersections, which makes me an intersectional feminist, and that's the label I most identify with in terms of my beliefs of gender equality.

2. In the sense of the word "radical" you describe, no. I don't hate all men, and I have never and will never claim that, and I also don't think many fellow feminists would say that either, but that's as far as I'm going to go with talking about more than just myself. However, I think the word "radical" can be defined in many other ways, and for some, the word may not have as many negative connotations associated with it. I don't identify as a "radical", even if sadly my views of intersectional feminism may be deemed "radical" by groups outside of feminist circles.

6. Plattyrex

I suppose I would sort of consider myself a feminist, even if I don't really identify with the movement most of the time. I certainly wouldn't consider myself a radical feminist though, cause I'm a guy and all so... yeah.

7. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Feminist, yes :slight_smile: (though it took me five years to realise that it's not a dirty word)

Radical feminist, god no. Any group that bears ill intent towards people who have done nothing wrong is a terrible one. :slight_smile:

8. plant

I'm non binary, but I'll attempt to answer these questions.

1. Do you consider yourself a feminist?
    Yes, I do consider myself a feminist.

2. Are you a radical feminist [i.e. thinking all men are evil, wanting to abuse men]?
    I am not a radical feminist in the way that you describe them to be. I do not believe, however, that feminists that society would describe as "radical" fit the mold you are describing. I do not believe that are men are "evil" and I do not support any form of physical abuse. Intersectional feminism is the most effective type of feminism because it allows women of color to have a voice, as well as other marginalized peoples in society.

9. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, I am not a feminist because I really don't have much need for modern day feminism. Older feminism did many wondrous things for women which I am much grateful for. However, in this day and age, it's not really needed (at least not in 1st world countries) and the movement has become so toxic and just tries to pull people in by telling them straight up myths which have been proven to be false over and over again.

10. Distant Echo

I don't consider myself a feminist. I am in favor of women's rights, but I believe everyone should be equal. No one should be treated differently on the basis of their gender. So I am certainly not a radical feminist.
    If anything, as the mother of sons, I see how the feminist movement has, in some cases, degraded the rights of everyone, and in the case of domestic violence, men as victims have no rights at all.

So, no to feminist, and hell no to radical feminist.

#10 Distant Echo, Dec 2, 2015
  11. Posthuman666

I am a girl, just one that exists outside of what the binary is......

That being said, I normally disagree with the over the top misandry focused new wave of feminism, but I am always a whore for equal rights.

12. Fighter694

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am genderqueer, so I take the liberty to answer!
    1) I am not a feminist because I believe that unless gender lines are blurred true equality can never be achieved!
    2) hence I am not a radical feminist , I believe that masculinity is a fragile thing and being a radical feminist will only be more counter productive than helpful!

13. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Well feminism threads usually end badly..let see how this one go. Or maybe people will be too tired to fight the same battle :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. Plattyrex

That's kind of where I am on the topic, but I just kind of say I identify as a feminist while not identifying with the movement because I have never had a good experience by saying anything otherwise.

15. Minori

I don't personally believe it is feminism if you believe all men are evil. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do I consider myself a feminist?
    HELL YEAH.

Am I a radical feminist?
    No, I do not identify as a radical feminist. However, I do believe radical feminism has some value to it.

In short, radical feminism focuses on the relations between men and women, and says that women's oppression is caused by them. Some radical feminists hate men, but honestly, you'll be labeled a man hater as soon as you don't prioritize them.

You also mention liberal feminism. That, on the other hand, focuses on laws, and says that women's oppression has its roots in the legal system.

I identify a whole lot more with radical feminism than I do with liberal feminism. Currently I identify with Marxist feminism the most (hence why liberal feminism isn't a match). I've been into intersectional theory in the past, but the one I've encountered is too idealistic and individualistic.

I'd go more in depth if it wasn't for the fact that it's almost 4 AM here, and I should have been asleep five hours ago. I decided to watch an episode of friends after not being able to sleep, and thought I'd check EC real quick first, but then I couldn't let go of this thread.

In conclusion, I'm an angry Marxist feminist lesbian running on no sleep.

17. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Yes, I'm a feminist.

I'm not a radical feminist because there are many wonderful men out there,
    but I must admit, I get a bit more radical every year because the world is still very
    male-dominated in my opinion.

The hopes I had for equality for women when I was in my 20's is long gone. It ain't happening anytime soon ladies... if ever.

18. Julietta

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Feminist yes 100%

Radical not really but I understand the arguments and stance and can lean towards that myself sometimes because the oppression is not resolved. I don't hate men but I'm not fond of them on a political level either.

I do absolutely believe in equality and the struggle to attain equality for all.

19. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I'm certainly feminist. I'm not really the type most people think of though.
    I feel all genders should have equal rights and opportunities.
    The media doesn't seem to find my type interesting, you know. No story apparently.

As for the second question...

It's like the "TERFs" as they say. Since they defeat the purpose of it all, they sort of need more distinct name so I can know who to ignore. A few loud mouths like that give the whole group a bad name. Patriarchy needs to be extinguished, but not to be immediately replaced with a matriarchy that could potentially be the same level of problematic.
    Don't even get me started on those silly "men's rights activists" that appose gender equality and would rather things go back to the bronze ages. They're like Trump level stupid.

People do say I'm a bit "harsh" on the subject, but the way I see it it's necessary. There are several countries out there that think you're property if you're not male. Ever seen the whole "child brides" dilemma? People are out there literally selling their daughters.
    It's better for the most part in most more civilized countries, but nowhere near where it should be. Getting paid less for most jobs, dealing with regular basis objectification, "it's not real sex unless there's a penis involved" mentality, etc... it's not exactly hard to find.

I apologize for the wall of text, by the way... I meant for that to be quick.

20. Kidd

Kidd Guest

1. Yes.

2. No. I don't think all men are evil or anything crazy like that. I don't like TERF's though. That to me is evil and insane. Like I guess I prefer inter-sectional feminism? I don't know. I just support ladie's rights in general and try to be socially conscious.