1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coulrophobia (a.k.a. Clowns scare the heck out of me!)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ram90, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always had uneasiness around clowns. My parents used to take my sister and me to circuses a couple times a year when we were kids. I liked everything else, but clowns were freaking scary! It didn't help that I had to interact with clowns at 2 of my classmates' birthday parties. Why do parents think hiring clowns is a good idea? :icon_sad:

I haven't seen clowns personally or on TV since. But last week I watched the first half season of "American Horror Story: Freak Show" and Twisty the Clown scared the heck out of me!

My fear of Clown, Coulrophobia came back and it doesn't help that he visits me in my dreams sometimes. Any advice on getting him out of my personal space! :bang:

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Because some clowns are nice and funny, but other clowns get their bad name due to all the horror films out there. The IT clown is one of the most sadistic ones, but the way the children compose themselves to defeat 'it' is really good. Perhaps meet a nice clown, and then you won't be scared of them.

3. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not many clowns were I live. Not any at all actually. The circuses that visit occasionally don't have any either. Probably for the best (!)

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard it can be explained with the "uncanny valley." Clowns are obviously people, but they're just... off. Distorted proportions, strange colors, and exaggerated animation mean they can skeeve people without being overtly menacing.

I'm not afraid of clowns and usually enjoy their shenanigans, but see how they could be creepy.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Seriously! OMG. That would be like my Pandora's Box or Pandora's Truck for that matter! :tears:

It is hilarious in a way though. The concept of a Clown Motel. But I might just go screaming in the opposite direction if I ever choose to go there. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. Psaurus918

When I was like 6 my sister (who lives in another state) was home visiting and decided to surprise me and show up at my birthday dressed as a clown... She walked in and I flipped out, started crying and my mom had to pick me up to comfort me and my sister took off the clown nose and tried telling me it was her but it didn't work... She had to go in the bathroom and change lol.

As an adult I still don't like clowns but I'm not afraid of them anymore and have no problems seeing clowns in movies or on TV.

8. thatchickcj

I don't always find clowns creepy...it's when you can't identify their facial features that it gets freaky!

9. DinelodiiGitli

When I was a young one (okay well, younger one) a dude in a scary clown mask followed me around a halloween store and I ended up almost in tears because I was separated from my 'family' who I was with at the time.

But oddly enough now they don't bother me too much. In fact I have a mild fondness for them and was wearing a shirt with one on it earlier today. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I read this as "Cauldrophobia" first.

[​IMG]

Scary!

11. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel you there. I have a fear of clowns too...and mascots...and animatronics... Always have. Can't read their intentions, I guess.

When they plague my sleeping brain with nightmare visions, I usually watch some comedic things or something that makes me happy to try and wash it out. That or I counter the vision by imagining beating the hell out of it with friends or something.

12. thepandaboss

I'm not scared of them but I don't like them one bit. My sister and mother one time went to clowning classes (yes, that's a thing) and this was years ago. Weirded me the hell out. But I'm not as bad as my dad, who was scared to death of them.

13. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

That's some good advice thanks. :slight_smile:

14. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A large part of the fear of clowns comes from their makeup. It's designed to parallel a dead person. IE White skin, dark eyes, outrageously red lips. That combined with the fact that it's almost impossible to make out their features, and the role they've played in horror for YEARS starting with Pagliacci makes us a very common fear.

Also, STAY AWAY FROM MY PROFILE AT ALL COSTS. I WANTED TO CONTRIBUTE, NOT TRIGGER.

15. Xochipilli

I think clowns are creepy, but I like them. From afar though, not up close.
    My parents found some random-ass clown and hired him for my 8th birthday. He was so annoying. I wanted to rip that bitch's busted red wig off. :lol:

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My 19 year-old son, the tough, heavily tattooed punk-rock drummer who smokes is the one who is most afraid of clowns in our family...go figure...

17. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, clowns don't bother me. I don't find them entertaining either though. Dolls however freak me out for very similar reasons, the more human like they become the more their non-human like characteristics stand out which is the same reason animatronics can be creepy. However, ventriloquist dolls don't bother me if there is someone moving them about and animating them, it's when they are on their own and normal dolls that bother me. Plus sometimes statues and mannequins can be creepy but not always.

You see with these type of phobias it's more to do with creepyness than being scared. You see feeling creeped out is caused by a seemingly harmless thing (for instance a teddy bear) with unsettlingly/scary characteristics (say the bear had big sharp teeth), your brain sees that it is harmless yet it can also see the things that could make it a potential threat like big sharp teeth on a teddy bear, which leaves your mind unsure of what to do or how to react creating a sense of being "creeped out". Also, bad experiences tend to be a factor as well.

There's actually a great Vsauce video on this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEikGKDVsCc

:eusa_danc

#17 Canterpiece, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  18. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

John wayne gacy was a serial killer who worked part time as a birthday clown; he murdered over 30 teenage boys and children and is thought to have dressed in his clown attire during some of them...

19. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is just shit scary and creepy. :eek:

20. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to be terrified of them as a kid but now I only find them mildly creepy.