1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am seriously scared of what SJWs are doing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Driftr

If anyone hasn't heard yet, they've managed to shut down a yoga class :eusa_doh:

University yoga class suspended due to 'cultural appropriation' dispute | Americas | News | The Independent

Yeah, a freaking yoga class people. SMH.

I feel like they're making all liberal people look bad and soon more people are just going to stop giving a damn about social issues altogether and retain their old prejudices. People already start to call you an SJW if you defend LGBT rights, especially online on YouTube comments and Reddit too, I imagine. I feel like this will give all the ammunition that a conservative bigot needs to never even consider assessing their bigotry.

What's next? Shutting down Taco Bell? Thai Express? Pizza (since it appropriates Italian culture)? Can someone please explain to these nutheads that just because you are trying something from another culture doesn't mean you're disrespecting it? And what are we supposed to eat? Just fries and a burger all the time? I feel like there's gonna be a huge shift in culture soon and it will be one extreme against the other.

I honestly think that people who are passionate about social issues, but are not as extreme as the tumblr SJWs need a new name to distance ourselves from the "SJW" label because now it's getting out of hand. It is just counterproductive to our movements to not address the SJW label now before we're all lumped in that category.

Sorry for the rant but I just had to let this steam out. I'm just so sick of all of this.

2. Kellian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm heard of this, it's just flat out stupid. Shutting down a yoga class, how petty.
    (It would most likely be bread and fries (not sure if fries are from America...), Hamburgers aren't from America, they're from Germany named after a city/town/place. The more you know. :grin:)

3. candyjiru

I heard they were looking for an excuse to shut down an activity that didn't have much interest in it... I think they were looking for a really big reason since they were trying to shut down something that was helping the disabled. It's a really crazy story through-and-through x.x

4. Yosia

Something needs to be done about social justice warriors and all of the like. They are destroying our world and segregating people. Honestly, we need to do something quickly before it gets too bad and we need someone to be Martin Luther King again.

5. Driftr

Well on that note, there is NO WAY the SJWs are taking these things away from me. No way in hell they'll ever dare go that far. Hell would have to exist (let alone freeze over) before that happened lol.

Funny. This is exactly what I was thinking. We need a new social movement that is going to stop this from getting even messier. Because the way it's going, the idea of a civil war (or maybe I'm being too dramatic) doesn't seem so far-fetched anymore.

I wouldn't be surprised if any social movements are starting to regress. It seems like the civil rights movement for us blacks is starting to regress by each day we hear another unarmed black teen murdered by police. I mean why do we have to have a #BlackLivesMatter march in 2015?

6. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

Anybody else think political correctness is being dragged a bit too far?

7. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    SJW = ? could someone please elaborate, I am not familiar with the term. Thanks

8. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. By all means be nice to people and don't try to be offensive, but please, PLEASE can people not get offended by everything under the sun??

9. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "SJW" = Social Justice Warrior. It's a derogatory term for people who fight for what they think is "social justice"; more often than not it tends to be people who lurk on sites like tumblr or reddit and they tend to lose their heads over stupid shit... like shutting down a yoga class. [​IMG]

It's one thing to fight for worthy causes, but SJWs tend to fight over the stupidest things.

#9 ThatBorussenGuy, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't worry. Their liberal idealistic way of approaching problems won't affect society in any great way, I'd say.

11. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, thanks....there are so many abbreviations floating around that I get them all muddled....The first thing that occurred to me was " Straight Jewish Women ", followed closely by " Single Jehovah's Witnesses ", but neither seemed to really fit :slight_smile:

12. 741852963

Oh dear lord.

It is indeed a worry. The generations of old became today's corrupt bankers, and power-hungry world leaders.

Just think of the power these idiots may have in a few years time. There will just be perpetual cries of "I'm offended!" on the streets.

Funny, with a bit of yoga these very people might be more mindful and chilled themselves. Until then, I urge them to go and lock themselves in their "safe space" out of sight and mind.

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2015 at 10:08 AM ----------

I think that is the problem. It may not change society in massive singular ways, but this type of thought it pervasive, and all these concessions and instances of bending over backwards to accommodate their idiosyncrasies all adds up and spreads.

For example my work has womens only events and women's quotas in place for top jobs justifying it because of the "the gender pay gap" (which is utter nonsense btw) - despite women in the company being paid exactly the same as men for equivalent roles.

13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't understand why these people are pandered to so frequently - it isn't like their thoughts and desires are shared by anyone else. They shout loudly, but you'll find very few people who agree with their line of thought - away from Tumblr anyway. To the casual observer, they come across as lunatics.

#13 imnotreallysure, Nov 25, 2015
  14. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was actually about to write "or is that what we should be worried about?" in my previous post, but erased it as I didn't feel like elaborating. But as you brought it up, I'll gladly write down my thoughts now instead.

My worry is not the same as yours, however. The problem I see is that it's not enough change. I'm worried about people thinking they'll change the world by changing minds. That oppression has its roots in ideas, norms, etc. I'm worried about people thinking along the lines of "if only enough people..." - because there will never be enough people. I'm worried about a split left (as a lot of these people would class themselves as left), preoccupied with pointing out each others privilege, while fascism is on the uprise. I'm worried about this kind of thinking standing in the way of real change.

Therefore, I would have to disagree with what you're saying about this type of thought being pervasive. A simple spread of ideas like these are not something that causes a change even worth discussing. Cancelled yoga classes at universities and not having the ability to wear certain costumes on Halloween might be an inconvenience and ruin the fun, but that's about it.

There's a difference between this and the gender pay gap though. So, I might just go ahead and disagree with what you're saying about the gender pay gap not existing. However, let's not get into a discussion about whether it exists or nor, shall we? It will easily derail the thread. But, the gender pay gap as an issue, whether it's real or not, has to do with money and is thereby directly related to people's health and ability to control their life. In other words, if it exists, it's quite important. Personally though, I'd rather focus on eradicating all kinds of pay gaps, instead of keeping them but making sure that there's at least as many women as men (or people of different ethnicities etc) in each position. But that's ideological.

15. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't think of any words to say about this level of stupidity. Wow. Wooooow.

Basically?: "Gahh you can't stretch out your limbs and breath deeply!?!?!?! That's cultural appropriation?!?!?! White people are out of control?!?!!?" Jesus Christ, what even was running through their heads.

16. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yoga through many studies has shown to cure bad diseases, and relieve stress.
    We're these SJWs from eastern culture? Because lol no, we aren't offended whatsoever!
    It's a practice that should be implemented and used- it's good for both mental and physical health and has so many benefits.

This is stupid, and it's giving a bad name to the liberal people out there. And it's a yoga class for the disabled? It's basically a different form of physical therapy.

I know my mom would have a fit hearing about this, and she's a devout Hindu as well as from India.

17. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    duplicate

#17 loveislove01, Nov 25, 2015
  18. MusicNotes

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just don't think I'll ever understand how dumb people in this world can be.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do worry too about the backlash.

20. The Apostate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tiresome, aren't they? Universities are not meant to be "safe spaces" where everyones feeling are protected. They're places where we have to expect to be exposed to things which challenge our sensibilities.

Elsewise, what's the point?