1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I chopped my hair off!

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by baristajedi, Oct 26, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know if I can post a pic, is that against the rules?

Feeling good about it, like a sense of renewing and getting back in touch with me. I t sounds cliche to cut off your hair and feel fresh, but these kinds of outer expressions of me make me feel more in touch with myself. I'm sort of re-piecing together the parts of me that I've either gotten out of touch with or was never able to confidently express before. I got s rainbow bracelet too and some new clothes that feel more true to me.

Anyone else feeling similarly and going through similar changes in expression?

2. Distant Echo

Lol . All of the above!

Hair is short short (not "butch" short but male haircut short except for my fringe), rainbow bracelets, anklet and a gay pride ring, and my taste in clothes is changing.
    Loving it! :grin:

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 06:29 PM ----------

And you should be able to upload an image to your albums

3. Really

I don't think it's against the rules. We've seen other pics of people. You can stick it in an album if you want it a bit behind the scenes.

I'd like to cut my hair but I have yet to find a style that I think will work.

Congrats!

4. Distant Echo

The hairdresser showed me a few styles but I sort of combined three to get what I wanted. But mostly I just wanted the damn hair gone :grin:

5. Really

Lol. Too bad you don't do pictures, I'd like to see that. :slight_smile: But I understand, I don't like pictures, either.

When mine gets too long, I put it in a ponytail and chop most of it off. I still like to be able to tie it up sometimes.

6. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind posting the pic on the thread. Cheesy selfie. (did it post?)

I'm loving my changing self expression too!!

Attached Files:

7. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really - do you find yourself doing other stuff in terms of changing your self expression? Hair for me is a big way of finding emotional release. I love being able to chop it off now and then.

8. Distant Echo

Very nice :eusa_clap

I'm finding my taste in jewellery changing too. In lieu of being able to justify the cost of getting my ears pierced the way I want to, bought several styles of ear cuffs (worn on the upper ear and look like you have a piercing) and ordered some off eBay too.
    Made me realised I was kinda "butch" in secondary school :roflmao: explains a lot :grin:

And finding I'm going through my clothes and getting rid of some that don't feel like 'me' anymore

9. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the look of jewelry, especially piercings. Love accessories, hats too. But I just never feel comfortable wearing them myself (I do love scarves though, wear thrm all the time). It's so fun to play with all of these new looks. Another way this process makes me feel like a teen again!

10. Really

@baristajedi,

Not a huge amount although I've never dressed particularly girly. These days I'm mostly in t-shirt and jeans. (I know longer work for a big corporation so I don't have to pay attention to any "dress code".)

Like inamirrordarkly, I have begun to get rid of pieces that I never felt all that comfortable in and for the rest of my clothes, I just have more confidence generally in what I'm wearing and caring less whether it fits in with what others around me might be wearing. (I've discovered a discount store for VANS one city over. So there's that. Haha.)

I think my self expression these days is mostly embodied by my newfound confidence. I stand up taller and take more interest in how I look. I've never worn make-up, always worn one or two simple rings and less feminine watches and dressed pretty much how I wanted. (I think I was luckier than most growing up, as my mom only ever said I needed to pick something comfortable. I suspect she didn't want to hear any fussing if we were unhappy. Path of least resistance for her. :slight_smile:)

@inamirrordarkly,

You just reminded me! I had an ear cuff in high school too but it was so uncomfortable I don't think I even lasted one day with it. These days I have no desire for ear jewelry.

And, I hope I won't get my membership revoked for this but, for myself, I don't like plaid or rainbows. There. I said it. Good to get that out. Phew.

11. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I really connect with a lot of what you're saying about becoming more confident in the way I carry myself and caring less about what people think or whether my style aligns with what's expected of me.

On the other hand I actually do like rainbows and plaid :grin:. I do prefer kind of a subte display of rainbows, like a small bracelet. I'm not a very bright color person in big doses.

#11 baristajedi, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  12. SnowshoeGeek

Oolala!!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::icon_redf:***:

13. Distant Echo

You're a bad bad person......

Isn't it fun?

:roflmao::roflmao:

14. SnowshoeGeek

I just found this:

Q. Can I post pictures, e-mails and profile links on the forum?

A. No, the security measures we have in place are here to stop you being identified by a stranger off the site. You may only post pictures in your Gallery, and if you wish to inform members of this update then you may do so in the album update thread.

:tears:

15. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :slight_smile::icon_redf. Thanks Snowshoe! Back atcha :kiss:. I love your new look too!!

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 03:05 AM ----------

I'm not sure who that's directed to...but yes! It's always fun to be bad!!:icon_bigg:icon_wink

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 03:06 AM ----------

:frowning2:. Bummer! Mayve I need to figure out how to remove the one I posted...i have to get my old fingers and brain to sort out how to do that...

16. SnowshoeGeek

Irredeemably so. :badgrin:

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 06:22 AM ----------

Does it let you edit that post? It seems like it only lets me edit my most recent post. I bet if you ask the Admins to help, they would be happy to assist.

17. Ivy Iris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I did it too a week ago and I feel so much better! It's easier for me to be the person I used to be a year ago before it all went south (I was an outgoing, friendly character) even if I am still struggling with some stuff. But I don't feel bad anymore. The lady at the salon didn't want to cut my hair because she said it looked too good so I sort of did it myself here and there. I am happy with the outcome. (!):icon_bigg I am glad I am not the only one feeling this way.

Attached Files:

18. CapColors

You look great!

Imma get a tatt soon I swear it! I need something and can't cut my hair.

19. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You look great!! And just from the pic I get the vibe of confidence too :slight_smile:. Did you really do that on your own? That's amazing!

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 03:48 AM ----------

You've got balls Cap! What kind of tat are you going for?

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 03:50 AM ----------

Yeah I don't think I can edit. I guess I better go through an Admin. I like having my pic up :tears: ah well.

20. Ivy Iris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You look great!! And just from the pic I get the vibe of confidence too :slight_smile:. Did you really do that on your own? That's amazing!

---------- Post added 26th Oct 2015 at 03:48 AM ----------

Thank you :grin:. And yeah. Not the top (that's supposed to be fringe but my face shape doesn't really work with full fringes) but the sides. It was pretty long before and I need it short for confidence boost and because my hair is thick and too much and I can't deal with long hair.

#20 Ivy Iris, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015