1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you define the word "queer"?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by ava505, Oct 25, 2015.

1. ava505

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just curious as this is a label that I've kind of adopted recently. It's the first one that's really clicked for me - I've always found that calling myself gay/bi/pan just doesn't feel quite right. It feel that it tends to imply some degree of middle-ness on the Kinsey scale and honestly I think that I'm about 90% gay. :lol: I refer to myself as queer, meaning that I am attracted to people regardless of gender (but lean most towards women). I know that it can also be used to define different gender orientations. So...how do you define the word queer?

#1 ava505, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
  2. alli o

alli o Guest

Queer: (1) historically, this was a derogatory slang term used to identify LGBTQ+ people; (2) a term that has been embraced and reclaimed by the LGBTQ+ community as a symbol of pride, representing all individuals who fall out of the gender and sexuality “norms” - See more at: Comprehensive List of LGBTQ+ Term Definitions

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think of it as anyone who isn't straight and/or cis. I guess I tend to think of it more as just pertaining to sexuality for some reason but it makes sense to me that it can describe gender as well.

4. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I call myself the Q because it can mean either queer or questioning and I fit in both of those categories technically. My personal definition of queer is meaning not straight. I do know that the definition can encompass gender identity as well as orientation though.

5. alli o

alli o Guest

Queer An umbrella term for sexual identities other than heterosexual
    http://teenhealthsource.com/sgd/gender-sexuality-abcs/

Queer: a person who is not heterosexual and wants to acknowledge it without conforming to a conventional sexuality
    Every sexuality ever. - Virtual Teen Forums

Top 3 Urban Dictonary

3. Re-claimed umbrella term used to describe the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender/Transsexual and general non-heterosexual communities. Queer is the opposite of Straight.

The word is becoming more acceptable than ‘Gay’ especially for homosexual woman and bisexuals who often object to being called’ gay’ which is used more often to describer gay men. It is still often used (just as ‘gay’ is) as an insult to queer people, but is taken with a pinch of salt these days.

2.Originally meant to describe something as unusual or strange. Became a deroggatory word to describe homosexuals. More recently, it has been reclaimed by non-heterosexuals as a word used to describe themselves. Queer can now be used to describe homosexuals, bisexuals, and transgendered people. In scholarly studies the word queer is also used to describe those who practice unconventional sex (e.g. bondage, etc.), therefore even heterosexuals can sometimes be defined as queer

1. queer: Originally pejorative for gay, now being reclaimed by some gay men, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons as a self-affirming umbrella term. Caution: still extremely offensive when used as an epithet.

6. wanderinggirl

Describes any person who is not cisgendered and straight and identifies as "queer"

7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A slur, and never an umbrella term. Also a word for not straight/cis people who choose to use it.

8. YinYang

An umbrella term that encompasses anyone who isn't cis and/or straight.

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely agree that it's not an umbrella term. Queer is a slur that can be reclaimed by anyone who isn't straight or cis, but it isn't an umbrella term to refer to everyone that isn't straight or cis because not everyone is comfortable reclaiming it.

In terms of sexuality specifically, it's basically a kind of nebulous "not straight" and could mean pretty much anything, which is convenient for people who don't want to label themselves more specifically.

10. DinelodiiGitli

A person who is not straight and/or cis.

Now while I personally wouldn't use it to refer to another person as it can be used as/considered a slur I don't really care if someone else calls me it.
    Then again not much insults me.

11. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An umbrella term used for anyone in the LGBT community, or who otherwise associates themselves with it. It certainly has a history as a slur against LGBT people, and is being reclaimed.

Long before that, its definition was simply "unusual, out of the ordinary". LGBT people may or may not embrace "queer" as a reclaimed term, but like it or not, we *are* unusual (I'm sorry, but 10% of the population fits the definition of unusual)...so the literal meaning is appropriate to describe us. I find the ability to embrace this notion to be beautiful and empowering, and I associate many straight/cis people with it as well, as a compliment (and heh, go figure, many of the people with whom I've done that have turned out eventually to be LGBT :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

12. zigazigah

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This. Only individual non straight/cis people can reclaim it for themselves. You can't reclaim a word for other people, which is why it's bad to say things like "queer community" or use it as an umbrella term in any way. It is still very much in use as a slur against same gender attracted and trans people. I never want to be called queer, so if you're thinking of using it as an umbrella term for non straight/ cis people, remember that you're calling me a hurtful slur against my will :icon_sad:

13. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    the word "queer" came into the english language somewhere around 1400 to 1600AD from German. the meaning was something that wasn't quite "right" or just outside the norm. for example, a fence stake should be perfectly vertical, if it is a bit off plumb it was said to be queer. this is the meaning that i was taught as a child. later i learned the sexuality context and it's derogatory meanings. i like that many have taken the word and use it to occupy the space, turning a negative into a positive. so in answer to your orginal question, i define it both ways, depending on context.

14. ava505

Out Status:
    Some people
    "I never want to be called queer, so if you're thinking of using it as an umbrella term for non straight/ cis people, remember that you're calling me a hurtful slur against my will."

Thanks so much for saying this! I have never used the word to describe anyone other than myself because of its stigma, but I need to continue to keep that in mind as I become more used to the word. Everyone always deserves to define themselves & no one should ever be called something they're uncomfortable with, especially when it comes with quite a foul history.

#14 ava505, Oct 27, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  15. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To me, queer just means "different", in terms of gender identity or sexuality. I wouldn't call myself or someone else queer though. I still have negative feelings attached to the word.

#15 Steve FS, Oct 27, 2015
  16. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I call myself queer but I don't go about calling people that. I do call my friends queer if I'm messing around with them... I think some people are easily offended by it but I don't. I think I'd be more offended if someone called me faggot. That word, I cannot stand.

For me the word "queer" just means a person who doesn't conform to "normal" standards of sexuality. It also means "odd".

#16 radicalmuffins, Oct 27, 2015
  17. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes... the word "faggot" summons repressed memories from childhood :frowning2:. I hate it so much.

18. Atreyo

Atreyo Guest

I agree. The word is just too "flowery" for me personally, and I'd probably feel a little insulted should one address me as that. Plus, it does seem to have a kind of feminine connotation. I don't really need fancy labels anyway; one is fine enough.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa, hold on. Addressed me as that? Ok, now I *completely* get the animosity. To me, queer is an adjective only. Anybody uses it as a noun, and yeah, that is ugly. I am queer; I am not a queer. I can't think of a non-hateful (or at least non-derogatory) meaning for the noun form.

Also, I was recently discussing "faggot" with a friend (in the context of discussing reclaimed words). The etymology of "faggot" basically translates to "burden". It's a stupid word as hate words go. But it was adopted by haters, and used hatefully, so we have it. They call us this because they consider us a drag on society...something to put up with...or to harass or kill in the meantime. There is no positive meaning to "reclaim"...we would simply be *claiming* the word. I'm sorry...I do not want to claim a word that means "burden". I am happy to celebrate my queerness, because queer I am...whether you mean unusual generally, or specifically LGBT. But I am no fag. Nor are most queer people (though there are some).

But to the people who say I must beware, lest I call you a hurtful slur. Shite, mon, if I'm going to worry about that, I'd best simply stop speaking, eh? At least to LGBT people. There are lesbians who find the word "lesbian" a hurtful slur. Plenty of gay people who find the word "gay" offensive (that's another reclaimed word, btw). Plenty of gay men and women who find "homosexual" distasteful. I am not responsible for your emotions. If I use the word hurtfully (i.e., as an insult), then I shouldn't be surprised if you are hurt, and yeah, that does make me a bitch. But if I am using the word to describe the group of people to which I belong, and you happen to also belong to that group and are hurt by my word usage, I am sorry...but I refuse to accept responsibility for remembering everyone's pet peeves...*you* take some responsibility for how you take in what I say.

How's about we simply use words to mean what they mean, and get offended by context and meaning, rather than by a sequence of letters?

#19 biAnnika, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  20. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've literally never met someone who found "lesbian" or "gay" offensive (I'm sure they're out there, but that's not the point I'm making), but almost every single LGBTQ person I have met has been able to acknowledge that "queer" is a slur. It has been used historically as a slur; it is used presently as a slur; lots and lots of people involved in this general debate have had that slur used against them in awful situations. That's the difference. You don't need to avoid every word ever because someone somewhere might find it offensive, but when the vast majority of the community can agree that a word is a slur, you shouldn't be using it to describe that community. I don't actually care if you mean well when you say it. I don't care if people should supposedly not get offended by "a sequence of letters". If someone had the word used against them in a traumatic situations, hearing it is going to be upsetting to them, even if you mean well. So please stop trivializing the issue. Reacting poorly to the use of a harmful slur is more than a "pet peeve", and it's your job to avoid using it on people who aren't comfortable, not their job to suck it up and "take responsibility for how you take in what I say".