1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying Ethnicity question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mateo, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Jalo

Jalo Guest

No. People take one look at me and see somebody who's white as fuck. Which isn't incorrect, because I most certainly am. But I hate it when other white people go "I'm 0.0000069% African American 56% French 673% English -41% German and 2% milk", like chill, you're white. My god.

2. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm Filipino, and I've gotten everything from Mexican to Chinese to Korean. It's fine when people try to guess, but it gets annoying with the stereotypes.

Every single driving mistake I get wrong, it's always because I'm Asian.
    Whenever I do well in school.. oh, it's because you're Asian.
    "Oh my God! You look so Asian in this picture."

-_-

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm always generally curious on ethnicity. I like to see if I can guess if someone is, for example, German or Polish and see how accurate I am. I, of course, wouldn't outright ask someone what their ethnicity is (because it's really not important), but I guess I take in interest in ancestry and seeing just how people have migrated over the years. War and conquering pretty much makes it so I can't trace my heritage that far back, so I guess that's why I like learning about ethnic backgrounds.

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm usually flattered when people try and guess my ethnicity. One person guessed Assyrian, which was close but I'm 100% Pontic Greek. I don't think people should be offended over it, as I think we can all take a little bit of pride in our own heritage.

#23 Skaros, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. Hizaki

I'm a Canadian (about 3rd or 4th generation, depends on how you look at it). I have English, Scottish, Irish, and German descent, as far as my knowledge goes. So, I don't get this problem so much, not that I'd call it a problem. To be honest, I'm the kind of person who goes around asking people's ethnicities, because I like to find out cool things about people. I'm still waiting to find another Icelandic Japanese person :grin:

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Considering we all come from the same place, this seems kind of silly...

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I am not adopted. No, I am not offended by the question.

Those are the answers to all of the questions I have been asked about my race.

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I'm not illegal. Yes, I speak fluent English.

8. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm mixed. My parents are mixed. At first glance, people wouldn't know my ethnicity. People who I get acquainted with are always curious and it does get annoying when they start the guessing game. They're like... "I know you're *insert race* because your *insert facial feature* is *insert adjective relating to said race*. But what are you, really?"

When people see my name, they usually expect a full Spanish person who looks the part to magically appear and are then so confused when they meet me.

9. tulipinacup

I've never experienced any of those except when I go online but what I do get annoying questions from the most are Filipinos themselves. Since I am an Igorot, Manila-centrtic Pinoys usually ask if we eat dogs <.< But what really pisses me off is when I meet a gay Pinoy and they would fetishise my culture and would love to get "down" on me because Igorots are perceived as this macho type.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Gonna spin this a different way since I'm white. I don't...usually, have a problem with people asking about my sexuality, so I assume it'd be the same if they did it about my race. Is that any of their business, probably not, and I would never do it to someone else, but stuff like this just doesn't annoy me much.

11. Mateo

I personally don't mind If someone asks a long as their asking out of pure curiosity because I honestly feel that the wide variety of ethnicities and the ways that they have interconnected is quite fascinating.

I find variety in people fascinating. However, most of the time when i'm asked it's with the intent to judge me like when other hispanic people ask me it's usually so they can berate me for not speaking spanish. Or once someone said to me "What the hell are you? I know you're not full white your hair is to nappy". I don't know about y'all but that's an unpleasant thing to have randomly thrown at me.

12. ScatteredEarth

Yea, I never truly understood why I should be annoyed at people asking me this question. On a side note, I never truly understood why I should be annoyed at people asking how much I make.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm with you on this. I guess I'm a contributor to the so-called problem! If a person has parents or even grandparents who came from somewhere else, it can make for a lot of discussion. And I don't do it to judge.

I think that it can be annoying if a person feels like they are being judged or labeled because they are a minority in the area they live in or are visiting. I also think it's annoying because of the perceived irrelevance for people whose roots are so diluted and intermixed that they don't find the topic that interesting and don't have much to say about it.

Most of my friends have strong ties to other countries so we do talk about them in a healthy way, for lack of a better descriptor.

14. lemons123

well, guess it's as annoying as the 'rate me' questions :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Atreyo

Atreyo Guest

I am, for the most part, racially ambiguous. I am a mixture of certain white ethnicities (which i've heard are Norwegian and Irish), as well as black and Brazilian.

When my mother attended my high school parent teacher conference thing, I was told my teachers apparently looked very surprised she was as dark as she was lol.

But no, the question definitely doesn't bother me, as I hate it when someone says "Oh, you're definitely this!"

I don't belong in a group of black men, and I don't belong in a group of white men, and I like it that way. Though, I could possibly fit in a group of Brazilian men, hmm. Makes me think on what traits I mainly inherited.

16. Plattyrex

I've been asked if I'm adopted before. I'm white in a primarily white area, and I'm 1/4 Italian. For whatever reason though, my features look far more in tact with my 100% Italian grandfather and great grandparents than any of my siblings or my mother. I have darker, kind of olive skin, my nose is kinda big (my face is still prett smexy though), dark eyes, and dark hair. I never really get offended, but I like to obsess over my heritage a lot and most people who ask me about it regret it about 20 minutes into my rambling.

17. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This totally irks me. People always assume I'm white. I mean, yeah, my ancestry is British, Russian, Irish and German. And my complexion is Caucasian. I also say "dude" and "bro" a lot, but still. People shouldn't make assumptions.

18. Atreyo

Atreyo Guest

Lol, yeah, right? What's the point of percentages? And did these people get a DNA test done? If not, they have no idea what they're made up of.

19. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mind being asked at all-

I mean, people assumed I was light skinned and black (which I don't look like, at all), Mexican, Hispanic, Pakistani (well, technically, half of me is)
    It's actually better when people ask, than assume. And it's just an innocent question and I don't mind at all, unless they stereotype

20. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not really a question but I hate when people believe that I pronounce things like in those "mexican word of the day" meme