1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self harm?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by suchconfusion, Oct 13, 2015.

1. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey guys. I think this might be kind of triggery, I'm not really sure, sorry :/

When I was in seventh grade, I went through a period of depression for a few months because something mildly traumatic happened and it fucked me up. What I would do a lot of the time was I would carry something small, sharp and metal around and leave jagged scratches all over my wrists and ankles and it made me feel better. I stopped eventually and now I can see that was self harm, but now when I get really stressed or sad, I always feel this urge to slam my head against a wall or something, or scratch myself, or just release the pressure on my skull in some way. I would give in sometimes when I get really overwhelmed and I'd have a panic attack and I'll start banging my head on something until I feel better. I'm not really sure what to make of that. Is that an urge to self harm? Or am I just being childish and doing the equivalent of, say, throwing things. I'm not sure how to say it, but people always say they feel like slamming their head on a wall when they get frustrated and I don't know if they're serious. Am I just doing the equivalent of throwing a tantrum?

It seems like a silly thing to ask, but I'm really not sure if I'm just not controlling myself like everyone else or if I'm still carrying an urge to self harm like before. It happens infrequently and I've been thinking about it a lot. I always want to do it when I'm in a dark place but rational says I don't give myself head trauma.

2. Yosia

Self-harm is a coping mechanism, and as with most coping mechanisms, it does not fade very quickly/at all if you have had an experience with it. I used to self-harm and I still have the urge, but it's about trying to be strong and find other ways to cope. For me it is to space out and throw something in the air and catch it and keep doing this. Strange, but works.

3. Willa

This is a self-harm impulse, and in fact a very common one. Luckily, it's easy to transfer the self harm into a different impulse that gives you a similar feeling of release. You should try boxing. Get or make yourself a nice heavy punching bag, and go at it with all your strength until you are absolutely exhausted. It will release those panic toxins from your brain and fill you up with endorphins from the physical exertion.

4. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have never struggled with depression, thank the gods, however when my Aspergers causes a meltdown I do get a very strong urge to slam my head against something or pull my hair out or harm myself in some other way to punish myself.

Like Willa said, channeling the frustration is good. What I usually do is vent art, but I know not everyone is as artistically passionate as I am xD Something that might help is to just write words on paper. Just whatever comes to your head. Then? Crumple that paper into a little ball, rip it into little shreds, and throw it away. Always makes me feel better :slight_smile:

We're all with you, my little fluff <3

#4 RavenTheRat, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  5. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mmmm it's nice to know :frowning2: I have peace of mind now at least. I know really little about self-harm, actually

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 02:28 PM ----------

It's really funny because I actually use to box and I stopped, I used to hate lessons but it was good stress release

---------- Post added 20th Oct 2015 at 02:30 PM ----------

Ahh thank you, that's a good idea :> I actually use to draw dark, morbid vent art a lot back when I was depressed and I find writing my feelings and ripping it up makes me feel a bit better

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  7. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

You're not the only one. If I get stressed or depressed in any way, well... You should see my wrists or my arms. I've asked my mom for something like a punching bag or stress ball but she always sais I'm doing it for attention.

I may aswell be talking to a brick wall :bang: *sigh*

Luckily it's getting better though

8. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ahh man I know this is late, sorry, but I hope you get something to relieve your stress if your mom won't. It sucks how your mom thinks you're actually just doing it for attention :< I'm pretty sure my friends thought that about me. I hope you swim on through.

9. aussielefty

I'm going thru this myself now and I know how difficult it can be to stop it.
    some days I'm strong and can handle it and distract myself other times it beats me
    to it...
    for me sometimes I'll hug a pillow and scream into it, or listen to music or radio or concentrate on my breathing techniques my counselor showed me.

I am also on medication now too , maybe you could ask your mom or doctor ?
    about medication.. don't know as I'm still figuring this out myself...

10. Gay1234

Be strong and try other coping methods and hopefully u do get per it. I have high hopes for u :slight_smile:

11. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, I think it's good to release by screaming into a pillow or something. Recently, I've gotten a punching bag so it helps me alleviate some of the urges and stress.
    It'll get easier for you eventually :>