1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexuality: A Choice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BandFangirl, Oct 6, 2015.

1. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

Just was just a question that I had bouncing around in my head.

In this theoretical situation, it has been scientifically proven that sexuality and gender were choices people can make and a "cure" was invented to "fix" sexuality and gender -there are no side effects or drawbacks to taking the
    this medication.

Would you take the cure and become cis gender and heterosexual or would you choose to stay the same person that you are now?

2. Gear2BQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not sure if I would or not especially if it was like a daily thing because I already have to do enough of that. I think if my parents knew about my sexuality then they would try to get me to take it.

3. MrSkittles

I want to stay the same person I am. Tbh, besides all the hate I love being gay.

4. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Hmm...

nah :slight_smile:

5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think so. I can't imagine living the rest of my life as a female. Now that I actually know I'm transgender, it just seems an odd possibility to consider.

#5 ThatBorussenGuy, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. UniqueJourney

I would never want to be faced with the choice of being able to "do things over" because I would never willingly put myself through all the abuse and pain that I've suffered to get to where I am. However, would I change me and who I am now? No.

I'm finally learning to love me. There is nothing wrong to be "cured" with regard to my gender or my sexuality.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This question has come up a few times. I can't say I like it; I think it's neither healthy nor constructive.

A lot of LGBT people already have trouble accepting their gender and sexuality; the discussion should always be around how we can come to terms with ourselves, rather than entertaining the notion that we could be fundamentally wrong. We shouldn't contribute to the sense of quiet shame many LGBT people feel.

On a personal level, I'm quite happy as I am. In the broader picture, I think the presence of diverse expressions of gender and sexuality is extremely important in having societies which adopt healthy attitudes towards gender. LGBT people contribute to changing the way cisgender and heterosexual people think of their own gender and sexuality, too; the mundane domestic life of same-sex couples can still have impacts on the division of household work, childcare and the way we perceive the role of relationships and domestic life as a general society, not just as individual LGBT people. I think being LGBT can have an overall positive influence on others, merely by remaining firm in our existence, public presence and the way we live our lives.

8. InfinityonHigh

I'd rather give society a pill that cures its bigotry.

9. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second this.

10. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I might just for my church..

11. Charon

Charon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd stay Gay.

12. Acm

Acm Guest

I feel bad saying this since no one else seems to feel this way, but I would probably consider it. Ideally I wish there was a way I could become a cis guy, but that'll never happen, so the next best thing would probably be to get rid of these feelings. There's lots of reasons why I don't like being trans...family rejection, discrimination, financial problems, and probably some shame. But even if none of that kind of stuff was a problem, I would still hate being trans (dysphoria), so it makes sense to me.

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I worked hard to be this bisexual, and I'm awesome.

14. CyanChachki

I think it would kinda be like The Last Stand where Leech's powers are created into a "cure" for all the mutants and everything seems to work but a few months later, all of the mutants end up getting their powers back. I mean, it would only work for so long. Even if it where proven to be something that could be cured, people will act how they want to act, they know what they like and basically, it'll be mind over matter. The brain will eventually override any unnatural remedies that aren't meant to be a part of the human body.

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not sure. I'm pretty used to my life now and it would be quite strange to become straight suddenly. Maybe, idk.

16. Shedya

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I've seen this question asked on most of LGBT+ sites and the answers are usually the same. I don't think the question itself is bad. Yes, answering it can hurt, but it would be nice to show all the people yelling "it's a choice" that half of us wouldn't choose it.

(I know the half is a made up statistic, but some/most seemed an understatement/ overstatement.)

Usually, people answer in three ways:

1.I wouldn't change it.
    These people have been LGBT+ for a while or they were quick to accept it, they probably live in an accepting environment etc. They spent quite some time with their rainbow side, they think it suits the real them and they find it hard to imagine being "normal", regardless of that longed for society seal of approval that would come with it.

2.I would change it.
    If you answer this question on a LGBT+ forum, you probably admitted to yourself that you are LGBT+. It hurts to say you would change who you are, but I don't think it's something to be ashamed of. Family, society and a childhood of picturing the ideal lifestyle that implies getting married and filling a suburban home with children might play a role in this.

3. I don't know
    I think most of us would give this answer. If this was more than a hypothetical question we would probably give a yes/no answer. But we know it can't be changed, so thinking about it would be a waste of time.

My answer is between a 2 and a 3. If given the choice first time I realized I had feelings for a woman, I would take the pill without hesitating. However, one year after I discovered the rainbow side, I found myself a bit grateful that I like women. I think my case is harder because I had some bad experience with men. My biggest fear has always been that I would fall for a man and he would have to go through hell to fix my broken self or that he would turn out to be like my father. Also, I find women a lot easier to love.

However, I spent 18 years waiting for my prince charming. I was told that as a woman, you will never know true love and happiness until you have a biological kid. Not marrying a man makes you an example of failure and unhappiness for relatives to show their children. I would lie to say I would choose not to have that typical heterosexual love-story.

In the end, I would compare my case with my boobs. I am 19 and flat-chested (not exaggerating). Growing up and seeing my friends getting curves, I thought I will never be truly happy until my boobs grow. Now, I started to think that it's for the best, it protected me from a lot of pervs and fake friends. But there will always be a part of me that wishes I had boobs.

I hope one day I say I wouldn't change who I am, but I think there will always be that little kid inside of me wanting to be accepted and admired by society and a Disney happy ever after. Come to think of it, it's hard to think about Disney and society when you are in love, so It'll probably go away with the right woman next to me.

17. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would. I would take a pill that turned me straight and cisgender. I would also take a pill that turned me lesbian and cis. I just.... I don't want to be bisexual and genderqueer. I hate it. If I could be straight or gay, wonderful. Bisexuality? Not for me.

18. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  19. candyjiru

Nope~ but I do second the anti-bigotry pill, though ^.^

20. tourettesqueen

No, I like chicks too much.