1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What major did you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tentacles, Sep 14, 2015.

1. tentacles

I am between social service (t's a major in my country to those who want to be a social worker) and veterinary. What about you?

2. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Marine Biology. I chose it because I love sharks and the ocean in general, and I want to study it and save it. I'm a senior now and am possibly going to grad school, but I haven't decide yet.

3. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha! I went for psychology. But am currently debating whether to continue with psychology (or social work, since psychology degrees arent entirely useful when undergrad )or switch to veterinary tech :slight_smile: have also toyed with becoming a teacher

I'm not sure I have a drive to go thru grad school. I'll get a bazillion bachelors degrees instead :wink:

#3 ebda30, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Psychology. I took AP Psych in high school and loved it so much that I decided to give it a try in college too. Four years later, I hold my bachelors and hope to go on to grad school.

5. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Marketing-Management!!! Hells yeah, dat business major status! Whoop! :slight_smile:

6. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bachelor of Science in Nursing for my Undergraduate. On hindsight I wish I took up Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology as it would have gave me better foundation for subsequently studying Doctor of Medicine.

Why I took up BSN and MD? Well my family has several businesses, BUT I have always been paranoid of what-ifs (what if it all went down, bankrupt? where does it leave me?). So I naturally chose a profession that I could practice independent of the family business. Although yeah I still get most of what I earn from the family business.

7. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bachelor of Arts in Multimedia Arts, I am going towards the field of Gaming. Unfortunately the company I am rooting for havent replied about the exam for internship yet so I guess I failed :tears:

BA MMA is a broad course, but since we are only few that took that course the uni didnt made us choose our specialty (like specialty in animation, videography, digital design, etc). But atleast I have more knowledge about those things I am not even interested in, like animation, photography (which I like now), sound design.

8. Ladyhawk

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm co-majoring in History and Medieval and Renaissance Studies, with a minor in Classics. I love anything to do with history, especially Medieval England, and I am studying Latin as well. I would like to go on to do my masters and PhD and work in document analysis :slight_smile:

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was a comp sci girl :3

I did it because I want to be powerful and because I care about protecting people.

10. alli o

alli o Guest

Phycology or a teaching degree is what I want to go into

11. guitar

Political science and education... because I'm a bit of a masochist :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. AlamoCity

Economics. It just sounds cool :lol:. Whenever I tell people my major, most say "I hated economics, it was so hard." Haha.

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, when I hear economics, I think of this quote (which, according to my search, is attributed to George Bernard Shaw):

If all the economists were laid end to end, they'd never reach a conclusion.​

:lol:

14. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Conjoint degree. Bachelor of Arts with History and Bachelor of Science with Comp. Science

15. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Originally I was double majoring in Toxicology and DNA Serology. I did that for my freshman year and I realized that I fucking hate biology and chemistry with a passion. I then switched my major to Criminal Justice Administration and I really enjoyed it quite a lot. While I was in school I interned in an intensive probation office for two years, and then got hired as a clerk for the same judge I worked for at the probation office. It was fun, and I enjoy helping people. I think I'm generally quite sociable and it was like getting paid to hang out and talk to people all day, which was nice. I was thinking about getting a Master's degree in social work, and I was considering law school as another option but I am happy with my current job and if I went into my field now I would be taking a significant pay cut. So mostly my degree is just for show now.

#15 Kidd, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2015
  16. AlamoCity

Haha reminds me of what my Econ professor would say how President Truman hated economists because they never gave a simple answer ("one the one hand... on the other") and said he wanted a "one-handed economist."

17. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Economics - cos I figured it'd help in getting a lucrative career. I'm not really a maths whiz though.. or at least that's the image I try to portray to others. :slight_smile:

I was tempted to do geography but thought it was useless unless I became a geography teacher and I don't want to be dealing with brats.

#17 imnotreallysure, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  18. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Medicine...
    I was awarded bachelor of medicine title several months ago. Now i'm studying to get my MD

Why did i choose this?
    Honestly, this is not my choice, it was my parents. I initially want to enlist to became a soldier but they (my parents) wont consent and send me to pre-med instead :frowning2:

19. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Don't worry I know it may sound cliche but the practice is gratifying whence you see how you literally change lives. How many people can say they've actually saved a life, or at the very least changed lives for the better? :slight_smile:

Also as a recourse the Military does employ Medical Doctors, my friend is such. You will be given a military rank and also partake in some basic training undergone by soldiers.

20. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    Psychology. :slight_smile:

I took an elective psychology class in my junior year of high school and I really liked it... so I took AP Psych during my senior year and I enjoyed that class even more. I think I'm just very interested in psychology, so I have decided to major in it.