1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bulking up to look more like a guy but I feel like I got hit by a truck

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ThatBorussenGuy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not sure this thread goes in this section, but...

I've recently started lifting weights to try and bulk up a bit, to build a more masculine look. I did two sets of fifty at 20 lbs. That was two days ago, and now my entire upper body feels like I got hit by an eighteen-wheeler.

I would take a wild guess and say I overdid it. :dry:

Does anyone have advice for where a guy who has never actually lifted before should start? Because I know this isn't normal.

#1 ThatBorussenGuy, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you looking into fitness and bodybuilding forums?

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thought about it, but I'm doing this particularly because I'm trying to look more like a guy so I was wondering if anyone here has had any prior experience. :astonished:

4. AKTodd

Two sets of fifty reps, even with a light weight, is way to much to start with (as you probably know by now).

Most weightlifting programs, especially for beginners, will tell you to work out about 3x per week doing a variety of exercises and doing 3 sets of 8-10 or 10-12 reps per exercise. The idea is to start with a weight that you can only do the lower number of reps with. Keep working with that weight until you can do the top end number of reps. Then increase the weight to a level where you can only do the lower weight again.

There are also systems where you split you body up into sections and do a four day split instead of a three day. You can also get into push-pull variations and various other techniques. The main trick is finding a routine that works for you.

Speaking of routines - you want to periodically switch up your exercises - changing out one exercise with another one that works the same muscle group but is a different exercise. Otherwise you can plateau and your muscles won't grow.

I would suggest looking at various fitness websites and also maybe buying a book on bodybuilding from Amazon or your local Barnes and Noble (or equivalent). What you want is one of the larger books that contains a really large number of exercises for you to choose from.

You should also look into nutrition - again you can probably find a lot of info online. You will want to develop a diet that will heip you build muscle without adding lots of fat.

Hope this helps,

Todd

5. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Todd has great advice. My bulking is to.gain weight, I downloaded the bodyspace app, found a full body work out and do it 3x a week. goal reps 6-8, if I can do 3 sets of 10 I up my weight. Lifting will do nothing if you are not taking in necessary nutrients. I had a friend who body builds tell me my goal Cal, protein, fats, carbs a day. I have to eat non stop, but I have gained nearly 10lbs od muscle (and water weight, cause lifting does that) and have lost inches nd gained in other places. I have very obvious muscle gain as well, I dont miss days and I try to eat to the best of my ability. My husband buys me muscle and fitness brand magazine, they usually have good articles and qork out routines to use.

You probably hurt your muscles Hella bad doing that, stay hydrated, give your body time to recover, find a routine or program that suits what you need and pick up once your body has healed.

This is a good read, long but full of great info Weight Training Volume - How Many Sets, Reps & Exercises?

6. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the advice, Todd and Ebda. :slight_smile: I feel kind of stupid for not bothering to look up this stuff before I started and now I'm paying for it. Your advice should be of much help to this newb.

7. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I´d like to add you have to warm up your body first before you even start lifting weight, and after you finish, warm the muscles up once again so the blood circulation would help easing the tension. Few minutes of run before and few minutes of faster walk after lifting would do. Also a little stretching out before and after is necessary! I assure you you´ll be allright the next morning :slight_smile:

8. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :slight_smile: Right now I'm still waiting for my right arm to stop feeling like there's glass shards in it; think I did a number on it. I really appreciate the advice, because I am a complete newbie to working out.