1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

have an older boyfreind and i dont think people like it

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by bassboss, Aug 28, 2015.

1. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I met a older boy at the fair and we learned that we we're both gay do we started dating but the thing is is that I'm 14 and he's 17 I love home and he loves me but some of my friends don't like it and if my parents find out they will be angry because he's older and that it's another boy I don't know what to do

2. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Well first let's get legal stuff out of the way. At the moment you're in the clear, which is good. But when your boyfriend turns 18 there may be issues. You'll want to check your state laws on the age of consent along with Romeo and Juliet laws (they vary from state to state and often exempt couples that are close in age, had a preexisting relationship before one became an adult, or both). Although with a three year age difference, you'll most likely be fine. *I'm not a legal expert, so keep in mind the importance of doing your own research and finding reliable sources to figure everything out that you need to know.*

Now that the boring stuff is out of the way...as for your friends, they'll get over it. Age is an arbitrary standard and there's really nothing wrong with a three year age difference. I admit that I wouldn't have wanted to date a 17 year old at the age of 14, but that's my own personal preference. Just think of it this way: if you were twenty and he's twenty three would there be an issue? Absolutely not.

As for your parents, coming out always goes smother when you come out as gay BEFORE they find out that you have a boyfriend. If it's a shock for them, which it may be, it'll be easier for them to accept that you're gay if you isolate it from when you tell them about your boyfriend.

#2 Menaki-Neko, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I checked and I saw that in pa if your not 16 years or older than you cannot do anything sexual with anyone 18 or older so when I'm 16 he will be 19 so I couldn't do anything with him for a year

4. Menaki-Neko

Fargo North Dakota, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    With the preexisting relationship I doubt that any sane prosecutor would bother, but again I'm no expert.

5. bassboss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok

6. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    By that I recon you are referring to the Romeo and Juliet Laws. Indeed preexisting relationship, mutual consent, etc are requisites for this law. However we must remember that Romeo and Juliet Laws only serve to lessen the penalty of the crime. But it does not absolve them of the crime itself. In this case if indeed they are both sexually active then they are BOTH guilty of the sexual crime whatever it is called in their state. But universally we can call it Statutory Rape. We must also remember that Romeo and Juliet Laws are quite discriminatory against LGBT and would usually just apply to heterosexual couples.

I also know dylanzsad from another thread. His age coupled with other factors makes him incapable of consent. It only serves to aggravate the severity of the crime (on the part of the boyfriend) if indeed they both are sexually active.