1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Sebulba, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, me and a guy i met online were talking about friends and our relationships with them, and the subject of me being unable to make friends came up and we were talking about how i have none here and have no social life what so ever.

He made the suggestion that i move out west.

So, i asked him how i would do this, and his ideas were as follows:

Start a Gofundme page,
    Look for job offers,
    or Look for colleges.

I feel moving may be a way for me to start fresh from scratch and possibly make a few friends for the first time in my life.

So, my question is what would be your advice for me if i decide to move?

First i must say that i am on a fixed income,
    i am only high school educated,
    i am not able to drive,
    and i would be away from all family.

2. Vapid

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    1) Do your math. You can do this with a few hours of research.
    - Figure out how much rent if going to be wherever you want to live vs. how much you can afford. What do you want, exactly, in your living space? (ex. pets allowed, apartment, basement apartment)
    - What appliances and furniture can you do without for a while? What from home can you take with you? What is mandatory vs. unnecessary? Keep cheap places in mind (thrift shops, Walmart/Target, etc.).
    - This applies to groceries. Your initial buy will be more expensive than the ones down the road. You won't have things like cooking oil or spices so list 'em all.

Grand total depends on where you live. Then you can start saving.

2) Learn to drive, as it is the easiest thing on your list. I don't know whether this applies to your country, but driving school gives you a discount on your insurance.

3) Get educated. This is the longest haul and, given the economy (if i may quote my parents) is more of a gamble than anything. Where I'm from, everyone's either going into childcare, police/security, or HVAC for job security, a sense of justice, or promise of good pay, respectively.

4) Bonus tip: On friends and hobbies...
    Take a class to meet people, if you'd like, but find something you can do at home. If you're juggling two jobs and school, you won't be able to be with friends too often or make it to every basketball game, but you can still read a book, watch cartoons that you've outgrown or whatever. Good luck.

3. seeking

Agree with Vapid.

But, i don't think you should move out to the west because a person online suggested it. I would move to a place that you are drawn to.

No matter how long you talk to someone online.. you never truly know that person. It is very easy to hide major fault lines when you are online. So just beware of this person. It's nice to blabb to someone online here and there. But, i wouldn't move to an area because they suggested it.

Research areas that you are drawn to... figure out what career you want to get into and see where that career flourish. Research schools and see which school you would want to attend (anywhere in the country.)

Best of luck!

4. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I understand that already.
    I had been in the Pacific northwest region several times, and and its a place i really like, so thats what drew me to the idea.
    Also, i have no intention on staying in America's own pit of Tartarus known as the southeast, and i also want to avoid the midwest.
    So, it was an idea i kinda had for a couple years now.

I just love when something turns into an online safety lecture. i already know that stuff.

#4 Sebulba, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  5. seeking

Sorry you took such offense to me giving you some advice.

6. Sebulba

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im sorry, its not that, i just hear it alot

#6 Sebulba, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015