1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever been "beat up?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by blackhatguy, Jul 18, 2015.

1. blackhatguy

I was just watching "Teens Like Phil," and every now and then I do a little writing which sometimes involves LGBT issues.

Very commonly in fictional depictions of LGBTQ+ lives, the poor kid gets beat up, sometimes quite a lot. Even fictional straight kids really get thrashed sometimes.

I've always been large for my age, and came out to only a few people near the end of my senior year in a more liberal school. A few times in elementary school I wasn't treated so well, by groups of three or four other kids, but I never went home with a bruise, bloody nose, anything like that.

So basically I'm wondering if people actually get beat up, like books and movies show all the time, or is our entertainment not quite accurate? Of course, the emotional side of things can be much worse than the physical.

[YOUTUBE]mBI4-Jd0IM4[/YOUTUBE]

#1 blackhatguy, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  2. souverian

100% it was words, and now I have social anxiety.

Not about sexuality or anything, just about how I was weird. Added up after a while of being excluded and teased constantly.

This is how you turn creative and talkative kids into introverts with problems.

3. blackhatguy

That's why I was so glad to go to this other high school. So many of the kids there would have been killed by the other high schools, it's really terrible.

4. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen a few of what "hollywood" put out on the screen. i did get beat around in elementary and middle school and probably not for my sexuality, but because of my height and weight. if there was anything about my sexuality, it was more of war of words. pretty much scarred me a bit without even realizing it. i guess that part you can't make it go away. i also seen "feminine guys" take the brunt of it a lot more, they even get pushed around. it was pretty mind boggling. it may not be accurate but it may be worst in other places then we may not even realize so who knows...

5. TheJackC

I have a few times. Once I couldn't walk properly for a week, as I got kicked in the leg, and pushed over a wall, therefore twisting my foot. I had a huge bruise on my leg.

6. starm

No, but almost. I hit back very hard and broke his neck following repeated punching.

7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but I had my vengeance...

8. Cedar

Yeah, this one girl stomped on my face when I was in the fourth or fifth grade. Though it wasn't over anything LGBT related since I had no clue what those were at the time.

9. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, a little. It was more like short-lived aggression, such as being pushed against a wall, that injured my shoulder. My bullies couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery. I never hit them back, the worst I did in return was give 40-ish word insults... not my brightest idea.

10. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not that I remember.

11. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yes, but wasn't related to my gender or my orientation.

I'm sure I'll get beat up for those at a certain point. Somebody is going to say something, and catch me drunk or on a 'bad moment', and I don't think my karate lessons will be enough when it comes.

12. Sapphy

Nope, never been beaten up.

13. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I've mentioned before that I was identified as gay at school and experienced verbal and physical abuse. I was beaten up on the way home one day. The physical scars healed quickly, but the emotional scars lasted for a long time and pushed me very deep into the closet.

14. Psaurus918

Not beaten up but close enough, I was horribly bullied once (nothing to do with sexuality) and a group of 4 older kids surrounded me in the gym locker room and pushed me around, luckily the gym teacher came in after 2 seconds

15. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

I always fought back, and I won some, lost some. Physical confrontations didn't faze me for beans. If anything, they were more amusing than anything. A busted lip here and there? Pffft. It heals.

That's the easy stuff, when you're growing up.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got beat up when I was at school. The school sent me to self-defense classes, then they tried to suspend me when I used the tactics that we were taught in the class.

17. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. That seems... ridiculous.

Fortunately, I have never been beaten up. I like to think that I could give as good as I get these days - but I guess everyone feels like that!

18. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to get beat up. Got jumped a few times too. Lived in a rough neighborhood growing up. Lots of gang activity, and people who didn't mind beating up kids.

Likewise, the kids there were rough, I was a bit more passive myself, but my best childhood friend came from a notorious family in the area. And he was quite aggressive. So it was usually with him when we'd get beat up.

I'm not proud of it, but I was also a bully for some time in school. It was prior bullying that made me get angry, but still. Anyways, I used to get into lots of fights in school.

That stopped in its entirety when I was about 14. Since then I only been in a scatter fight, that's usually only a punch from each side, and it's through.

I don't like fighting anymore.

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Some times yeah, mostly not for orientation or gender though. I heard "fag" in between the kicks though. Teenagers can be so cruel.

20. Christiaan

Christiaan Guest

The politics, the backbiting, being gas-lighted, social siberia, being suspended for three days because the student who punched me in the back of the head would have lost his sport scholarship if I had not been decided to have been somehow at fault...it isn't just the students. It is our defective and broken culture.

The physical stuff was a joke. It is simple.