1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think people who say straight pride are ignorant?

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by MidnightStar, Jul 7, 2015.

1. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I do and I also think they don't understand very well why we even have pride in the first place. I always attempt to hold back my anger when I here a straight person say this, however sometimes I snap and end up saying, we have it because people died I don't see straight people dyeing because of their sexuality.
    Maybe I shouldn't be so upset over this but do others feel the same that someone saying straight pride are being ignorant and inconsiderate or just want some special name without noticing it's not very spechial?

2. Foz

Foz Guest

Often when 'straight pride' is used it is in a homophobic context, that said I see no issue with a straight pride event, in fact I would encourage it. Just because someone is straight doesn't mean they haven't faced difficulties. I do take exception to people who peddle the notion that only minorities can suffer.

3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Privileged people have an incredibly difficult time seeing their privilege.

That includes you.

It also includes me, btw.

4. DAXIII

I don't even get the point of gay pride. Being gay is just something that is, like your skin color. Why be proud of something like that? It's only popular because it's an act of defiance against oppression. Once everyone accepts them it won't mean anything.

5. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think we should all be proud of, confident in & embrace who we are. Whatever that might be. As long as we are tolerant, accepting & respectful of others.

#5 GypsyButterfly, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  6. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am inclined to agree with you DeathArcanaXIII. At the moment, I would say the biggest reason for gay pride is that it lets other people feel open enough to come out in a world that has a high proportion of non-accepting folk. This is really helpful, powerful, and positive.

If being gay becomes mainstream -- though I'm somewhat doubtful that will ever be the case -- then the impact will be a little bit lower. However, in the mean time, I'm glad courageous people can still be celebrated -- regardless of why they are courageous. :slight_smile:

7. Van

Van

Oh, dear... you did not just say that! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Pride is the opposite of shame. We don't go to pride parades to show everyone that we are proud of our sexual orientation, but because we are NOT ashamed of it. To show all those youngsters and those in the closet that it is OK to be gay, to show them they are not alone. To demand out (stolen!) rights. How could you say that there's no point in gay pride, when there are thousands of LGBT people who get beat up, mocked at, discriminated against, punished for "engaging in homosexual acitivities", disowned by their families, put thru conversion therapy... even killed? Of course there IS a point in gay pride! And there will be pride parades until every single LGBTQIA person can express themselves without fear. Until every single LGBTQIA person feels free to be their true self, without being persecuted!

#7 Van, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  8. DAXIII

There really is no point to it. I never saw a point, in fact those parades made me fell worse about being gay and I'm not the only one who thinks so. The best way to deal with this is apathy. If everyone or at least 90% of people didn't give a damn about being gay or not or whatever, we could all move on with our lives. You don't need a parade to tell people nothing is wrong with them, words do just fine. It's just an excuse to throw a party to me. As for "true self" get real. Sexuality is just a smal part of the person not a defining trait. Straight people don't define themselves by their straightness, that would just be foolish.

9. AJ56

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I disagree with you. We should be proud of who we are because we are a minority. Most people are straight. It also removes the stigma that can come with being LGBT.

10. DAXIII

Not really since there is a bit of a stigma that comes with pride parades. Being LGBT is nothing to be proud or ashamed of, it simply is.

11. Van

Van

You obviously know nothing about gay pride and LGBT history. :dry: And this makes me sad. :icon_sad: And this whole thing speaks to me internalized homophobia.

I'm not even going to comment on the underlined, cuz it's just plain stupid. I'm sorry to say this.

12. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I disagree with this. If there is an ideology that you have a strong belief in and you have the conviction to stand up for it and see it through even against opposition, you sure can be proud about it. (!)

If everything were objective like your comment, then nothing would matter. I'm not saying anything actually does matter, but I don't think this comment is helpful!

13. DAXIII

I don't find it to be stupid, and it's not internalized homophobia (please). I just accept it as something that I am and that's that. I don't really care too much about the history behind everything or "pride". Also you really don't need a parade, as I've said before sometimes they make people feel worse about themselves.

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2015 at 07:49 AM ----------

I'm not saying to apply that to everything, just this instance. If the world didn't give a damn about people being that way (that includes the opposition not having a problem with gay people) then things would be fine.

14. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I pretty profoundly disagree with the first portion of this statement, but ironically agree with the second part. In fact the second part is pretty much part and parcel of why I disagree with the first part.

I'm not proud that I am homosexual--I am intensely proud that I am gay. I am proud of everyone who comes out and is open about who they are in the face of all the things that out people face. I'm proud of the community we've built--I'm proud to be part of a community full of people who have literally risked everything (friends, family, jobs, everything) in order to live a life of love and honesty. Even my Father gets that. I remember twenty some odd years ago my Father saying that he was proud to have raised a son who, when the whole world told him he wasn't alright and could never be happy the way he was, stood up and said screw you, I'm awesome and you'll all see. As he put it, "what's not to be proud of?"

You're right--it is popular because it's an act of defiance against oppression. Being out is just that. And getting a million people together on a Sunday in June on the streets of Chicago to be out and accepting and awesome together is an act of defiance. And you're right, there may come a day when everyone embraces it and at that point maybe it won't really mean anything other than just being a great party. But I think that is pretty obviously a long way off.

And frankly the way that we get there is that we're visible. People often say that people are more likely to be accepting if they know someone who is gay. That isn't exactly true. What is true is that people who know that they know someone who is gay are much more likely to be supportive. Apathy is the last thing we need at this point--perhaps at some mythic point in the future, but definitely not now.

15. DAXIII

Proud of the community? Something so superficial and caring mostly about appearance? People who won't look or talk in your direction of you don't look like them or enjoy the same things as they do? People who make you doubt whether or not you're gay. I could deal with the opposition being against me, but it's the community that made me feel ashamed of myself and being gay.

16. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you just realize these feelings now...or why are you here on EC? I'm so sorry to be making you ashamed.

17. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot agree more with what OGS stated above. In a world where I cannot hold my boyfriend's hand just anywhere or feel comfortable expressing my identity to just anyone, being visible is paramount; there is frankly no better way at present than a decent Pride parade to loudly and publicly proclaim that we exist and that we are here to stay.

I used to think that being gay was just another slice in my personal pie-chart, with distinct edges between the parts. I no longer believe this to be the case, I am not merely homosexual; there is a huge GAY culture worth belonging to (and contributing to) and this beautifully colours everything that I do.

18. DAXIII

The gay culture sucks. It's so superficial. Every parade kills me inside to see everyone more or less the same body type, advertising ways to be more like them. Or even questioning if you are gay or not because you are not into traditionally gay things or even have the personality.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't you get that *we are* gay culture? Here. On this site. Each one of us. This is part of gay culture. This entire site is one whole beautiful Pride parade.

If you truly find it superficial and shameful and that it undermines your happiness as a gay person, then I ask a second time, why are you here?

20. DAXIII

Because I need a place for my questions where people understand. But it does not matter what I get on here, my reality back home won't change. This "culture" people rave about is the main reason I stayed in the closet as long as I did. If pride were more like this I probably would not be ashamed of myself.