LGBT News Youtube star Shane Dawson comes out as bisexual

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Skaros, Jul 7, 2015.

1. ouji

ouji Guest

I'm honestly not too surprised by this. I always kind of suspected that =)

2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another cutie added to the team!

3. person57

I love him so much! I'm happy for him and proud of him. <3

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Yeah, I've never really thought that I was missing much when I ignore social media...

5. Aldrick

I've never really followed Shane, but I know who he is, obviously. I normally restrict my YouTube video viewership to people who are either seriously funny, individuals who share my political views / values, or people who openly identify as LGBT.

I first discovered Shane in a video where he was doing a collaboration with Joey Graceffa. They were both pretending that they were gay and in a relationship, and acting flirtatious toward one another. I thought that they were both gay men who were close friends. I was shocked when I learned Shane had a girlfriend and Joey didn't identify as gay. I just assumed that I was being judgmental and judging them based on stereotypes, though I always had my suspicions with Joey. Shane, though, managed to convince me, because well... he had a girlfriend, and really... what sane person in the closet does a Drag Video with Willam Belli?

[YOUTUBE]CLULHPDKojQ[/YOUTUBE]

I could have never done that while in the closet. I've spent the bulk of my life trying to butch up as much as possible. So, if you're someone who was willing to do that, I figured he was comfortable in his sexual orientation as a straight man.

Oh well. Now that they've both come out of the closet, it's good to know that my gaydar isn't broken. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I bet Willam is also saying, as he learns this, "AH HA! I knew it!"

Congratulations to Shane for coming out. I hope he'll be able to live a more authentic life now.

...and Austin stop engaging in bi-erasure. The guy spent over fourteen minutes explaining to you how he's struggled to come to terms with his sexuality, and the fact that he feels attracted to women as well as guys. You take what someone says, and completely ignore it or to believe that somehow you know their life, their feelings, and their experiences better than they do. It's true that some gay men use bisexuality as a stepping stone, and that is rightfully a practice that we should discourage, bisexual people obviously exist and there is no reason to believe that he isn't one of them. Your comments were disgusting.

6. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Yay ^_^ but to be honest I dont care at all

7. Xochipilli

What a bitch. :O
    I love this kind of info though.
    And I have never watched his videos, but I often saw him plastered all over YouTube and assumed he was a gay YouTuber.

8. lemons123

Thanks for confirming that my gaydar's working, Shaneo.

I was sure he is NOT gay but bi judging by the tone of his voice, him kissing both girls and boys in his videos and his "girly" sense of humour.

And...kudos for the coming out :wink:.

9. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This is the kind of bullshit that Bi/Pan people have to deal with all the time, Phobia from others who you think would be supportive, I guarantee had Shane came out has gay people like the users above me would be congratulating him, But instead you say he is invalid, You guys are hypocrites. The fact that this is how you guys treat someone who just came out of the closet is sickening.

#29 Steam Mecha, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  10. Ryu

Ryu

Totally called it.

11. Eponine

Sounds like most of the people who doubt his bisexuality didn't even watch the video. Fair enough, don't watch it, especially since he is a ridiculously offensive and problematic youtuber. But you're making a generalized and damaging statement by saying that he probably isn't bi and is just gay.

If you did watch the video, you should honestly believe that he is bi. (Although you should just believe it because he fucking said that he is.) He doesn't rely on vague statements like wanting to avoid a label and focuses more on his struggle with accepting himself. He mentions how he really wished he were gay instead because it would be easier to just definitively know his own identity and because people would be more accepting of him.

If you watched the video and still doubt his bisexuality, I honestly don't see why you would doubt it. Continuing to believe that bisexuality is some kind of farce is just so damaging and disappointing.

And another thing I'm getting real annoyed with is everyone saying "I always knew" or some shit like that. Great, you had suspicions and they ended right. Big fucking deal. Coming out is such a big deal for so many people and it just lessens how meaningful it is. Taking that step is momentous even if everyone "already knew." Even if it wasn't hard for you to come out, it is still such a stressful decision for so many, especially those in the public eye.

So, congrats to Shane.

12. Jellal

I don't know who this guy is :?

13. Simple Thoughts

Bleh...

I really really really don't care.

I've never much liked Shane Dawson. He's not funny, and most of the time he's just rude and kinda a downer.

Everytime I see him on Youtubers react ( the only time he gets any views by me ) he does the same thing "This is boring" and acts like he's unphased altogether by whatever their watching and then spends the rest of the episode just talking downtalking whatever vid it is.

He gets old fast.

As for coming out...cool I guess?

I want to live in the world where coming out is just a thing that happens, and isn't a cause for celebration or pitchforks so in my brain you gotta be the change you want to see in the world.

So time for my "Congratulations, you're a human being just like the rest of us" thing.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also tend to feel indifferent to coming out videos and such. My thoughts: "You're gay, bi, trans, etc? Cool. Moving on..." It doesn't really phase me much.

15. Simple Thoughts

I know those lack of feels.

16. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Honestly I was surprised, but only because I thought he was openly gay for years already. But yay. People living their authentic selves should be congratulated and praised. It's not as frequent as it should be.

17. thepandaboss

I actually kind of agree. I didn't find a lot of his racist crap a few years ago cute either (I mean, the dude wore blackface. The hell is that cool in any universe?). Plus, he makes terrible, terrible, gut-wrenchingly awful movies.

So not a fan, personally. I don't think it was a ploy for attention or anything but I just sort of shrugged when he came out. Meh. I don't think he's really a hero for coming out. Loads of people had to risk a lot more. Sure, video was emotional. But eh, this isn't going to make me a fan. Just because I'm bi too doesn't mean I have to like the guy.

18. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I can see why some people don't like him, but I just like to point out that he never actually did "blackface". He actually didn't know what blackface was until people pointed it out. All he was doing was face make up for some of his characters.

19. thepandaboss

[​IMG]

Never actually did blackface...?

---------- Post added 8th Jul 2015 at 10:34 PM ----------

These things are also apparently not blackface/brownface I guess....?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In one of the Shane pictures, his black friend is right next to him with white face (bottom left). He has a pretty harsher sense of humor, but he is not actually racist. Does he cross the line sometimes? Yes. Do I hate him for it? No. It really depends on how you look at all of it. I've always watched his videos thinking it was more satirical if anything.

As for Paula Deen, I really don't know what to say about her. But in any case, I know I can't convince anyone to think differently of Shane Dawson.

#40 Skaros, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015