1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"I don't hate gay people, I just don't approve of their lifestyles."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Jun 17, 2015.

1. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Anybody else get annoyed when people say things like this? Some opponents of marriage equality will say something like this:

"I don't hate gay people. In fact, I know many gay people - some of my friends are gay. I just don't approve of their lifestyle. I think what they are doing is wrong, which is why I dont support gay marriage. But I don't hate homosexuals. Love the sinner, hate the sin!"

^ There are so many contradictions in that statement. By acknowledging that gay people exist and yet deny them the right to marry is bigotry, in my opinion. I especially hate the "love the sinner, hate the sin" quote so much because what they are really saying is "I love them, but I also hate them." They think it's a lifestyle choice, like it's a behavoir, when in actuality it's an inborn characteristic. What they don't realize is that gay people aren't choosing to be gay - we are following our hearts and instincts, which just so happens to be someone of the same sex.

I also hear: "Gay people already have the right to marry - someone of the opposite sex. What they are demanding are 'special rights'."sin!"

^ I don't even know where to begin on that one.

WHEN WILL PEOPLE COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT WHAT THEY ARE SAYING IS TRUE IGNORANCE??

2. Purp

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ehm, if I may....

It is not a choice how you are born, what you're attractions are and what your characteristics are. Nonetheless... there is discipline and that is attainable. So when they say to not live that lifestyle, they mean to discipline yourself. (if you are Catholic, according to the catechisms you are called to live chaste)

Is this still bullcrap? oh yes indeed

3. mangotree

Even though I've never personally had either of those quotes used against me, the fact that some people do receive them makes me angry.

4. Posthuman666

Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyessssssssssssss

This right here, thats ignorance, thats the epitome of hypocrisy. Nothing more, nothing less.

While I have nothing against Christianity or its followers, this is one of the reasons I left Catholicism because there is too much ignorance, hypocrisy and contradictions in what they preach. And I mean no disrespect to Christians or Catholics at all.

I like to remind them that some other sins are eating shellfish, disrespecting you parents, divorce, etc.

I also think that refusing gay people the right to marry because of the theory that two men can not be in love and marry to get financial benefits ( which hetero people could do as well) is really because they need a more legitimate reason than saying their religion prevents it. Its people like this that keep the Westboro Baptist Fucks alive. Im sure most of these people would never protest like that "church" would, but that they are buying into the blind ignorance that LGBT+ people are inferior to hetero people. Which, as modern society and mindset seems to dictate, is unfortunately the norm nowadays.

Both of the two messages up there are messages I see so much, just like the "I have nothing against gay people but the bible...." argument, which I have heard from the mouths of my own friends and family. This is disgusting, it is no different than denying a marriage to people of african descent, or any other denial to any other minority ever.

Gay people are people, just like the heterosexual people who make this argument.

Everybody just needs to respect and care about everybody (&&&)

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. Also- I'm asking this in all seriousness-
    Since when did religion completely dictate how our government is run in the U.S.? I haven't heard one single nonrelgious argument besides the "ick factor". Am I misunderstanding something?

6. Buttermilk

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Coming from a Catholic high school, these kinds of statements are very common when the topic of homosexuality comes up. The sad thing is, people don't really realize (or care) about what these kinds of statements actually mean for gay people.

7. Kaboom

That second statement :lol: wow

Not special rights. Just the right to marry the person we love.

Gah... I know. Gays are so demanding :rolle:

8. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Assholes who spout this kind of bullshit are no better than bigots who straight-up say things like "fags are an abomination." By hating the "sin" but not the "sinner," you're hating an inherent part of someone that the person has zero control over, so really it's just another way of saying "I hate gays."

This video's meant to be a parody, but honestly, this is basically what religious people who say this kind of stuff are doing:

[YOUTUBE]gpeGoWMOCNk[/YOUTUBE]

9. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't care if someone doesn't approve of the gay lifestyle. There are lifestyles that I don't approve of, IE: polygamy

What I do care about is when people feel the need to invade, protest or vote against someone's lifestyle. If it's consensual, non-violent and doesn't effect your life... Who fucking cares? That does get under my skin. Like I said, I think practicing polygamy is wrong. Primarily because I can't wrap my mind around it. But I don't give a shit what other people do.

10. ApexxShadow

I agree with all of what you're saying honestly.

What they're arguing is pure ignorance, sugar coated with non-fat 0 calorie sugar

11. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Grr! What lifestyle? The sterotype that LGBT people are constantly using drugs and having promiscuous sex? Newsflash homophobes: so do straight people. In fact if you think about it, there is actually a "straight lifestyle." The majority of them get married and have kids. Isn't that considered a lifestyle?

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

God damn it, I will not tolerate logic in this topic!

*slams hand on table multiple times*

13. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Aww! You think I'm logical? I consider that a very high compliment. Thanks:slight_smile: I feel like I should go put on a pair of pointed ears.

14. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree. The only other reason I heard of by opponents of gay marriage is that "marriage is used for procreation. Gays can't do that."

So, I guess heterosexual couples who never want kids should get their marriage licenses taken away, along with newly elderly married couples. Hell, let's even take infertile couples' marriage licenses away too!

Yeah...makes perfect sense. :dry:

15. DrinkBudweiser

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything you do is considered your lifestyle. Whether it be your sexual orientation, job, hobbies, after-hours activities, etc. I don't see a problem with someone stating that that someone who is homosexual has a gay lifestyle. That's actually accurate. Of course if it's a different story if they're directly relating that lifestyle with negativities, ie: drugs, violence.

16. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree 100%, especially because the typical evangelical Chistians who spout this don't even see that their religion is a choice, whereas sexual orientation is not.

Let's rewrite that quote:

"I don't hate Christian people. In fact, I know many Christian people - some of my friends are Christians. I just don't approve of their lifestyle. I think what they are doing is wrong, which is why I don't support Christian marriage. But I don't hate Christians. Love the Christian, hate the judgmental attitudes!"

So, how would they like that??? Not very nice, is it???

17. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hear that first statement from my family all the time and it just makes me feel like no matter what I tell them, they won't understand. Normally when I hear other people say it, I just brush it off and think that it's their opinion, no big deal. Yet, when my own family say it, it just feels different and kind of hurts.

18. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :lol:

Even though I consider myself a Christian, that made me laugh. Thank you!

19. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't get that. When did a person's life become a lifestyle?

20. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks as well, and glad I could make you laugh! It was just a hypothetical; you could put a lot of different groups/religions in place of it, and it would come out equally as funny sounding. And again, I think it's the far-right leaning factions of whatever religions that are the biggest opponents.

But it was fun to just replace a word.