1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know if I can handle the pain she'll go through

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by tgboymom, Jun 16, 2015.

1. tgboymom

Ok thank you so much!!! If this therapist says that this is the diagnosis, I'll give her a call and question this, and offer your explanation and find someone else if I have to. I've seen nothing from J that would remotely resemble this disorder and I don't want anyone pumping my kid with unnecessary drugs. If I have to, I'll jump in the car and I can be there in 10 hours and go with J to an appointment.

This reminds me of 7th grade when a teacher told us in a meeting that she told my kid to stop drawing because there's no money in it. I was like you no talent HACK! I just felt those same hairs stand up on me. No one has the right to try and stifle my child's God given gifts! J started getting paid for art by 16! I wish I could find professionals I could just trust. :bang:

2. blurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    its hard, it took 10 years of me getting suspended and being severely depressed due to "behavioural issues" before I got diagnosed with Autism at the the age of 12, all those times were anxiety triggered meltdowns and not me being a horrible excuse for a human being.... Different doctors said different things and nobody thought to put the pieces together until the last minute. Not related but an example of how the wrong people can cause unnecesary anguish....

3. tgboymom

And that is the worst case scenario....when people are looking for answers for a young child that really does not yet know how to communicate what is going on inside. Mine is 28. I think we might have noticed something by now.

I'm glad your doctor's found the proper dignosis. (*hug*)

4. blurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was more or less saying that people only looking at one aspect and not the whole story is damaging, especially when someone knows what their trying to say. When I told doctors what I was experiencing, they didn't connect it with any other thing I was dealing with.

For Me: nobody considered that my social anxiety and meltdowns were connected
    For You: nobody has seemed to take in consideration your child's transition with his mental state

See the similarity? You can't just settle with this when you know that it's not accurate. When you know that only one chapter of the story was looked at.

#24 blurry, Jun 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When it comes to being transgender, there are some that do not show any signs of it when they are children. Sometimes people do not realize that they are transgender until they are older. We are so used to hearing what I call the "common transgender narrative". When there is a story that is slightly different, people begin to question if the person is transgender.

When you are so concerned about passing, and so concerned about being seen differently by others, it really takes a toll on you after a while. When that concern is lessened, even if it is just a little bit, that can help a ton. This could be the back and forth emotional swings that you are seeing. It is easy to be super excited about anything that is related to bringing you closer to being your authentic self.

I also echo how important pronouns are. As a transgender person, we all have to be concerned about the consequences of being misgendered in public. Once, when my mother accidentally misgendered me, I was almost attacked. It's a harsh reality that we have to live with in a world that we are not often accepted in.

Also, you said that your son is in college. I would check at the on campus mental health center. At my college, the have an LGBT therapist that helped get me the documentation that I needed to go onto hormone replacement therapy. Even if they do not have a therapist experienced in this, they may be able to help point you in the right direction.

6. tgboymom

All very good information. Ty

J isn't in college, but lives in a college town. I reeeaaallly thought it would be easier in a town so full of young people to find a therapist who knows something about transgender. I called so many therapists and took so many notes looking for anyone that knows something about this and I only found 2. Now I'm questioning the quality of care because after only one intake visit, the therapist suggested J might be bipolar. Huh? My kid is so even and rational and approaches everything with intelligent thought. My kid has never self medicated. Generally I have seen nothing in 28 years to indicate that bipolar is a question. I think the shrink is confusing the euphoria J might feel over taking this step toward transition with bipolar as Yaeli has explained. It makes perfect sense.:thumbsup:

---------- Post added 18th Jun 2015 at 07:15 PM ----------

Yes, I see your point. Thankyou!