Are you a vegetarian or an omnivore?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LaEsmeralda, May 29, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I like chicken too much to ever become a vegetarian. I could give up beef though, but chicken? No.

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think another reason my parents wouldn't let me is because they want to be able to make one thing that the entire family will eat. It'd overcomplicate things for them if I refused to eat meat. I'm picky enough as it is. :lol:

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Omnivore, technically. But there can be stretches of many, many meals where nary a piece of meat is to be seen. In one case, I think I might have gone months.

In a way, this is a long time thing. When I was growing up, my mother started doing some meals as vegetarian only. I don't know the exact reasoning. Part of it was probably saving money.

Today, I like the idea of vegetarian cooking for a number of reasons. It seems easier and faster than dealing with meat. I personally like the saving of money. I don't like factory farms, given the animal treatment and the environmental problems. (I partly sidestep this by trying to buy organic, but it's not a perfect solution as for animal welfare. I am interested in the local small farmer type option, but have not explored it. I have a feeling the cost would beyond painful.)

Right now, most of the meat I eat is somehow or other prepared by someone else, usually a commercial solution (e.g. frozen dinner). I have started having a slight bit of hamburger infrequently, typically cooked into chilli. This hamburger, when I have it, is ideally grass fed. More expensive, but I don't use a lot, and I feel more comfortable with that than I do standard cheap hamburger.

Ideally, I think I'd become a total vegetarian, but I'm not entirely convinced that it can work for my body.

I also have to admit there are certain things I'd miss if I swore off meat entirely, although, ironically, I haven't had those things in years. Most are dishes I recall from when I was younger.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Now boys and girls and nb's, let me lay out a recipe for you:

FULL veganism -> Better in EVERY single way with NO complications.

I have spoken.

5. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm eating chicken nuggets as I read this, there's a clue lol.

I try to avoid eating red meat excessively, chicken is the one I eat most frequently (a few times a week). Aside from personal taste, I don't think I'd have the constitution to go meat-free. I have difficulty maintaining even the slightest bit of muscle/strength as it is.

6. Foz

Foz Guest

Just because some studies say people eat too much meat doesn't mean you have to go veggie! You control what you eat! If it's because you don't like the industry what about the 100,000s of 1000's of people working in atrocious conditions working the fields and in factories packing salad. The studies which show vegetarians live longer are extremely flawed as they fail to isolate the sole variable and take into account the overall healthier living vegetarians tend to have.

7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, same, same. I really dislike beef, but I like chicken.

One meat I would certainly be willing to give up is sausage. Bleh. :lol: Also, balogna.

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an omnivore, but I could go back to being a vegetarian if I honestly wanted to; having been one for a good part of my later high school years.

9. Formality

I'm a vegetarian since a few months and it's worked out pretty well. I don't know about America or the rest of the world but in Sweden we have a lot of "fake" meat products that in taste is quite reminiscent of meat but are actually all vegetable protein. (I ate vegetarian bacon today :lol:slight_smile:

I don't miss much of the meat. Before I became vegetarian I ate mostly white meat. I loved chicken and salmon, but I stopped eating that as well. Humans don't need to eat meat to survive, the meat industry is really just a massive strain on our resources and it causes a lot of unnecessary pain and killing.

10. EnviroLady

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I prefer not to eat meat also. I found a group on Facebook called vegans which is fabulous for ideas on what to eat and what not to eat. They share restaurant ideas too, they are great, have a look for one in your city for ongoing vegetarian and vegan discussions.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We have those fake meat products available here. It's even possible to buy a vegetarian fake turkey Thanksgiving meal:

The Tofurky Company, Tofurky Holiday Products

12. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Technically, it's not just the meat but also the eggs and dairy products that are part of the entire industry. So, if you truly care for the animals you should go vegan, but that is a difficult and somewhat expensive diet.

A simpler way would be to reduce the amount of meat, eggs and dairy products you consume. For example, there is very little reason why you'd need more than 100 grams of meat per day, so instead of eating a full one pound steak at once you can split it into three or four meals.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

We could become cannibals and just eat bigots.

Save the animals and destroy the hate.

Seems like a win-win.

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm vegetarian. I think eating meat is gross (for me, I don't care what other people do). I hate vegetables too though. I already have a pretty limited diet due to allergies, so not eating meat doesn't really bother me.

15. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Junkfoodivore!

16. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Arfff

Omnivore, i love red meat too much to let them go

17. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I'm definitely an omnivore. I eat meat at least once per day. But, if I didn't like steak and bacon so much, I would definitely cut meat out of my diet.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    True.

One reasonable approach.

Another approach is to try and buy something that has been produced at a higher standard than factory farm. For example, buy eggs from someone locally who treats the chickens decently.

Bonus: you probably get better taste, and probably better nutrition.

Admittedly, this does cost more. But as one thing floating around the Internet pointed out, it's interesting that people whine about $6/dozen eggs, and yet have no qualms about spending $6 on a single drink in a coffee shop.

---------- Post added 29th May 2015 at 06:21 PM ----------

No, thanks. They give me enough indigestion as it is!

19. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Omnivore, always.

20. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I keep trying every summer, but I always go back to being Omni during the school year because my school cafeteria rarely serves vegetarian options