1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of a male/female are you?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by paris, May 28, 2015.

1. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sometimes when looking at some men on the streets and see a specific guy that I personally find some resemblance with, and it's not necessarily just appearance wise, I tell myself that I'm that type of a guy. In general when I see Tomas Berdych, the Czech tennis player, I see myself a lot like him; I even have a small crush on his ex-girlfriend. :icon_wink
    Does anyone else do this?

2. Synthetik

I'm pretty sure that literally everyone does this, including cisgendered people. Making comparisons to others is a natural part of the human social paradigm, and a lot of people understand things about themselves based on what they see in others. It can be anything from simple style ("I'm the type of person who would wear that outfit!") to complex personality ("I get along with these types of people because we share certain emotional traits!") and these ideas inform how we carry ourselves and interact with others.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to do that a lot, though gender doesn't have anything to do with it for me. I tend to go "that is so me" in regards to people biased off of an action or personality trait. Though it does seem I lean more manly.

4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Synthetik, it's just I don't have a need to make that comparing thing with women, just with men. As expected I was diagnosed with gender identity disorder and even though I don't feel fully transgendered at the moment the doctor thinks my gender identity might evolve in that direction in the future. I think it kinda bothers me.

5. Synthetik

That definitely makes sense. Most of these comparisons are made for the sake of benefiting the person making them, like associating with things you enjoy or want to express in yourself. You won't compare yourself to feminine traits if you don't wish to embody them, and every time you make one of these comparisons to men, you're either learning something about your gender identity or confirming what you already knew.

Which part bothers you?

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That I may wake up one day and realize I'm a guy after all.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm actually hoping this does happen to me instead of constantly feeling in between, but the me of a few years ago understands this fear completely.
    You can talk about your fears if you like, this is an excellent place to do so, and the people are supportive.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

Yeah I do this, I'll see a guy and I feel like that's the kind of guy I should be after transition or whatever.

9. Bastian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It´s not that bad after all :grin: And greetings to my homecountry, btw ;-)

10. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All the time.

Although unfortunately I don't see a lot of people like me. Most people are sheeple. All the same. When there is an unusually outstanding stranger, I probably stare intrusively at them for a long time. I agree with Max (aka Acm) on this one too. I'll see dudes and think how I want to be like them - but most of the time my aspirations are a bit unrealistic...

11. Astral

Most definitely. I see certain girls and just think that I'd love to be them, to look like them or to sound like them. I think it's natural for all people ^^

12. Cedar

Sure I might wish I could be like one guy or another but I try not to compare myself to other men since this might just set me up for disappointment.

13. Kaya-Sente

All the time, but true to my identity the person that I could "so be that kind of person" seems to be different almost every time. At least in body/clothing style.

14. thesonoferik

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sort of. It's been really confusing for with when it comes to sexuality because I'm a bisexual trans woman. When I look at women I'm not always sure if what I'm feeling is attraction or envy.

15. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does it make sense that I mostly feel this way with extremely fem gay guys, or fem trans guys?

16. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. I don't have much problem with feeling in between in general but it mentally causes me some issues related to dating; there's often this "am I enough woman for a lesbian?" question popping in my head. I know I'm probably overthinking it all but it's like I don't exactly feel on the same page with women I'd like to date because they're queer but me wanting to be with a woman is a heterosexual manifestation. At least sexually I want them as a guy; the other time I'm mostly just me.