1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are you thinking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BradThePug, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, if he wasn't my dad, there's no way I would put up with his shit.
    That is what causes so much stress and destruction.
    And yet I WILL continue to put up with it because he's sick. Great.

2. Jonathan

So I just woke up to an alert on my phone saying that $190 for Groupon had just been charged to my bank account. So I log into my account online and see that in addition to that, a $35 Fandango charge. Needless to say, I rushed to the bank. We closed the debit card, got me a new one and filed claims for those two purchases.

This day has been so draining so far.

3. Burnedcloset

My dads about to bring up the ruling right now. In the car. He keeps getting interrupted.

He didn't speak positively about it. That's all I will say. I'm just keeping quiet.

#1723 Burnedcloset, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I need to find a paper I guess. Guess I will go to Meijer.

5. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate seeing a hot guy that I know I'll never see again...oh well, I have the memories :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. thepandaboss

At least on the bright side it was a debit card and not a credit card. Easier to close.

7. Gen

Gen

It is interesting how when ISIS and similar extremist persecute even one non-Muslim individual it warrants a discussion. A discussion that is almost always littered with comments about morality of Islam and religious intolerance within the Muslim community.

However, when these groups kill dozens and wound hundreds of Muslims in prayer during Ramadan. When these events are commonplace and thousands more Muslim die to the extremist that the rest of the world loves to claim are their people and representive of their religion, we can't even so much as devote a thread to acknowledge them.

How curious.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People care more about, and show more affinity with, 'their own' - however awful it may sound. I'll be the first person to hold my hand up and say that the attack in Tunisia caught my attention more than the one in Kuwait - mostly because the former has received far more media coverage here, due to most victims being British. By the same token, the attack in France was overshadowed as well.

There is a theme here - a cafe siege in Sydney got more coverage here than the recent Kuwait bombings - but that isn't a race or religious issue, as a similar attack in Eastern Europe would receive far less coverage than a similar attack in Western Europe.

Not to say that the above is an acceptable situation, but that's about the size of it. The ;ink you shared was shared 13 thousand times though so it definitely did not go unnoticed.

By the way, if you're making some sort of passive-aggressive remark about the thread I created about the beheading in Lyon - that was before news broke of the two attacks in Tunisia and Kuwait.

#1728 imnotreallysure, Jun 27, 2015
  9. Gen

Gen

The thread that you made was perfectly fine.

I cannot, however, agree with the view that this has nothing to do with race or religion. Unless we are going to categorize westerner as a nationality, the only thing that would make the terrorist attacks that strike in Australia, for instance, more newsworthy than the attacks Africa or the Middle East would be a matter of race or religion. It is absolutely psychologically proven that the general public is most likely to care about those that they consider "their own"; however, we must acknowledge that that phenomenon includes race and religion. The media that we receive is absolutely bias based on those two factors.

Even despite this, I was never claiming that you have to dedicate equal attention to all foreign and domestic affairs. My post was a jab at those who have tunnel vision on the subject of race, religious, or ethic relations. Regardless of whether it is not as prominent, there are stories of Muslim and Middle Eastern people who have been victimized by terrorists at a constant rate. Thousands die to bombings and mass shootings every year. No one has to keep up with these stories. I attempt to keep up with as much as I can so I know that it can be depressing as fuck. We should, however, remember that they have and continue to lose what we have tenfold before we take it upon ourselves to shame their religion and identity.

So, no that wasn't a jab at you. As long as you are aware that those who receive the most coverage are not the only victims and you cannot use your perspective or degree of awareness to make blanket judgments about entire nationalities or religions, then there is no shame in not being aware of all issues.

10. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's nothing else worth reading in either of those papers, IMO. :slight_smile:

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Water skiing is no damn joke. Jesus...

Had one hell of a wipe out. I was getting used to it, taking some curves and leaning well enough, and then my ego flared up and said, "Hey, why don't you try something fancy?"

Not even two seconds into attempting something, I crash into the water -- according to others, it was like a rock skipping violently -- before coming to a stand still.

The good news is, I took it like a champ.
    The bad news is, I got lake water up my nose and...

My right side, including the side of my arm, and back are sore, and you can see the welts. That boat had to be going about 50-60 MPH.

And then I told them to come back around and do it again. No way I'm letting some lake punk me out, LOL.

Somebody come cuddle me while I endure the soreness.

12. Chi and Bashful

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hurry up and be tomorrow!!!

13. thepandaboss

Day's off to a bit of a rough start too. Got some deadlines to meet, editor's being a flake. Mother-in-law got rear-ended in her Corolla last night. Thankfully, she's okay and the car's still drivable. However, there's some potential damage to the undercarriage (like where the spare tire would be, right around the bumper) and she won't know if the car is going to be salvaged until Monday. Honestly, my partner is more irate than her about it.

14. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate when people say being gay is a sin but you need to remember all these other things that are sinful too! We are all sinners!
    And that's supposed to make them look accepting, except it's not at all. A long time ago even I thought that was a positive outlook. Ugh.
    The bar must be set really low.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Bitches don't know 'bout my mad Limbo game.

16. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. It's a very poor argument and I see it from gay Christians all the time. As a gay Christian myself, it does not satisfy. You either have to establish that being gay is not a sin...or go home.

"It's a sin, just like murdering people! But we can all be forgiven." No. While it's true we can all be forgiven, we can't just continue voluntarily living in sin. Jesus says sin no more. So if being gay is a sin, how can you justify not trying to become straight?

#1736 TENNYSON, Jun 27, 2015
  17. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How can I stop missing him.... He doesn't even miss me, I'm so sure of that. Even if by some miraculous miracle he were to miss me, he would never admit it to anyone. I guess that's the worst part.

18. CrazyAwkward

As awesome as yesterday was, I now feel like poo. Trying to focus on the positive though.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. Burnedcloset

Screw everything. I really need someone to cry on right now.
    :icon_sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.