1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Did You Deal With Prom?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Foz, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Foz

Foz Guest

This has been on my mind for a while and seen as there's been a few threads about prom I thought I'd ask. Society is much more accepting of LGBT now, but there still is a lot of stigmatising which is the real difficulty.

I was able to wriggle out of dancing at my prom as I had a DSLR so I was on photo duty, it was a lucky break as I only knew I was gay for 8 months at that point so I didn't feel comfortable with guys, but neither did I with girls.

2. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is the issue that you want to go to the prom with your boyfriend but don't know whether people would be homophobic or not?

3. AlamoCity

I didn't go to prom. Simple as that. Interestingly, I was asked out by a junior girl when I was a freshman, but I declined.

4. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How did I deal? I caved in to the excessive pesterings and went *_* Much regret :lol:

5. C P

C P

I didn't go to prom because I had no interest at the time in dances or anything 'romantic-like'; this was also a few years before I knew of where my attractions were anyways, so, even then, it wouldn't have been anything lgbt related.

Something similar happened to me, but it was a senior girl who had asked me a couple years ago(this girl who lived next door to my aunt, who had like a crush on me); I wasn't in town around the time though, so I don't know if she ended finding anyone else.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never went.

7. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I never went.

8. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have attended Prom twice (its different here in the Philippines). My first and second dates were both my best friends.

9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Easy, I just didn't go. I think me and some of my friends went out and played mini-golf instead, and ate pizza.

I did go to almost every other school dance from 7th grade to 12th, because it was a way to get out of the house, hang out with friends, and in later years, borrow the car. Looking back, that must have been maybe 30-40 dances over those years. A few had local bands, mostly not that good. They were always fun times for me.

But the idea of a prom was a bit too formal, preppy & prissy for my tastes.

10. blackhatguy

Seeing as how it is in 8 days and I haven't asked anyone, I don't think I'm going

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

In jr year I went with a girl, then in sr year I went with a boy :slight_smile:

12. JohnX

Out Status:
    A few people
    I attended prom and all of us (i think) have no dates so it's a sense of relief for me because I won't feel awkward during the slow dance. But I had no chance to dance with my crush because he has a girlfriend :frowning2:

13. Cedar

I didn't go to prom.

14. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i never attend mine.
    I got asked by girls several times but always decline it. I wanted to go to prom actually but kind of hate the idea of "the thing" happened afterward

15. pde

pde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't go. No one asked me, like not even my friend group probably because I'd always insisted that "I hate dances". I think I ended up going out to dinner with a friend who was somewhat interested in me (this was before I had come out to myself and I kept trying to convince myself that I liked him as more than a friend...)

I did go to one other school dance because this boy asked me (which was surprising because I think I unconsciously gave off a friend-zone vibe to most guys I knew). It was awkward because of some strange high school drama stuff, and also because of other repressed feelings. Also I had to wear heels and a dress which was awful. I think I hugged him at the end of the night?? :roflmao: I remember thinking "should i kiss him on the cheek because I am def not kissing him on the lips." I think I spent most of the night worrying about whether I was going to embarrass myself or not.

I remember for one of the dances I kept joking that my friend (a girl) and I should go together. I went to a Catholic where exactly 1 person was out of the closet, and I "wanted to see how the administration would react." She initially agreed, but then forgot later and went with some guy. Tbh, I don't want to know how my school would have reacted though. I probably would've ended up getting bullied (which I mostly managed to avoid by being nonchalant)

16. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I went to prom because 2 of my friends were being forced to go by their parents. I was still super in the closet/denial back then, so I wore a $30 dress and $40 shoes, the ticket was $60 lol.

In general prom terms: it sucked, wasn't really worth it. In fact it was so bad that everyone had left an hour before it was scheduled to end.

In LGBT+ terms: before dinner started I got down on one knee with a rose and asked my (girl) friend to be my date for the night, we danced together all night and posed for pictures all cuddly and stuff. The only comments made were 1 guy saying "you two look good together" and a teacher saying we were "cute".

17. Burnedcloset

Gypsy no go prom.

He only go 2nd grade. After 2nd grade...I never had to be in a classroom till driver Ed.

18. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh man! Prom-posals are too "romantic" and bluntly asking is "bland". My partner made it clear they wouldn't go.
    I was hoping it'd be our first date...take a friend? Still unsure. :bang:
    Mine is the 29th.

19. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

Prom sucks. It's boring.

20. blackhatguy

Actually, my biggest problem is I haven't told my parents I'm bi, but I'd much rather go with a dude.