1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out to wife of 23 yrs.

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by headshaver, Apr 19, 2015.

1. tscott

Headshaver, welcome aboard. I was married 25 years and came out little over a year ago with 3 kids 11, 18, and 21. I've effectively been "ruined" financially, but the price is small when given the alternative, which is living a lie now that you've faced up to the fact you're attracted to men. Talk with your wife before heading to the lawyer's office. You may find mediation a better way to handle things if you can "play" nice and much less adversarial and expensive. You will manage. I'm in a small one bedroom in town, down from about 2,700 sq. ft. in a posh suburb with a super kitchen (I love to cook) and a big yard. You deal with it though. You'll find friends and fewer of your friends than you think will abandon you. We're all here for you. Good luck. Talk to us anytime.

2. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hear you - I'm in professional service consulting so I tend to always get lots of opinions before recommending action - and that 's what I have been doing for the last 2 months -getting opinions before I take action. I have to do what I feel in my heart because everyone's situation will be different.
    Oh - I certainly expect to feel the same about my new living arrangements - like you, I'm in a posh suburb in north Houston, 4500 sq Ft house, huge yard, pool, etc., etc., etc... and I'll be going into 780 sq Ft apartment - but the good news is at least my new place will have granite and stainless with hardwoods :slight_smile:
    thank you for your kind words. Peace!

3. bi2me

A small place with no mental closets may feel like a palace compared to a mansion in which you can't be yourself.

4. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It is done. I came out to my wife yesterday afternoon. After years of being in the closet and months of internal debate, I finally told my wife. She was in shock. She is still in shock. We have cried together 5 or 6 times in the last 12hours. I'm supposed to feel better - a sense of relief that I am out - I'm not lying - I'm being honest - but I DON'T. I feel like the biggest piece of sh*t. I honestly think I made the biggest mistake of my life - It would have been easier to just keep hiding. At this point how can anything turn this into a positive? She said to me just a few moments ago " it's like you are dead but you are still here" and "you will never know how deeply you have hurt me."
    I've tried to explain - I've written her a 3 page letter - I sat in front of her and read it - she cried the entire time. I have turned our world upside down.
    She asked me not to say anything to the daughters until 1st week of June when Finals are over. I can do that .. after that - I have no idea where this will go.
    All I know is that today - right now - I have made the biggest mistake of my life it seems and I have killed my wife.

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, you have not "killed your wife", no matter how dramatic she is acting at this moment. All you have done is be honest with her, instead of continuing to pretend to be something you are not. There is no reason to feel like you are a POS, because you are not. She IS angry and trying to make you feel like a POS, but that does not mean you have to play the kicked dog role as a response. You are going to have to be the adult in the room and not feel guilty about it while allowing her to be the child and throw her tantrum. Then, when the crazy part is over, you can both sit down and start talking about making your life as routine as it was the day before yesterday, and decide what the best course of action for both of you and the kids is. Hold strong, maintain your integrity and self-respect, and be patient as she goes through the Anger stage of the 5 steps to acceptance of reality. It will get better when everyone is cried out and calms down. Sorry for both of you that she did not take the news more calmly.

6. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It will take some time for both of you to adjust, and things will never be entirely the same as they were before. And it's going to take awhile before the dust will settle enough for you to see the positives in the situation.

I came out to my wife as gay a year and a half ago. Our relationship was complicated before the revelation, and coming out to her has certainly added to that complexity. We've alternated between hoping to stay friends, and wishing the other would just disappear....if nothing else, this experience has brought to light a number of things about both of us that aren't nearly as neat and pretty as either of us realized, and my conviction of her friendship and loyalty was nearly as twisted as my conviction that I was straight or just latently bisexual.

In the end, a lot of what happens will depend on who you two are as people to begin with. I've spent the last year and a half trying to assert myself without hurting her any more than I already have, and she's spent it expecting me to make all the changes, and resenting anything I do that doesn't revolve around her. Typical....and any friendship that we salvage out of this will involve me doing all the heavy lifting. I truly hope, headshaver, that you two truly are best friends and can work things out. If your relationship was equitable and based on mutual friendship and respect, you have a good chance at working things out. I know guys who still are close to their ex-wives and everyone gets along, after a period of adjustment. It CAN happen.

As far as this being a huge mistake - let the dust settle on that too. Coming out changes your life in many ways, but the biggest change I've encountered is a sense of honesty and relief at not having to keep a close eye on my every move and worry about being found out. I still have rough days - my daughter's Confirmation is this coming weekend, and I'm very nervous about having so much of the family together. Both our families know most of the details and I have no idea what to expect or how I'll be treated with everyone together (our separation is close to being final, and I'll be moving out in the fall). But those individual instances of panic and uncertainty are outweighed by the sense that I am finally who I am supposed to be. And while I'm generally a quiet guy (basically an introvert who can put on a very good show of being social), and not what you'd call a "joiner" into clubs and communities, I was lucky enough to find a kindred spirit very quickly. Once you find out how much happier you are relating to gay men, or even falling in love with one, you will come to realize that this really WAS the right thing to do. Until then, we're here for you.

7. SWburbchgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Buddy, I felt the exact same way and it does get better - slowly. As someone said let the dust settle and give her time to process what is going on. It will not be easy but nearly 4 months have past and it is better but it takes time - my thoughts are with you.

8. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You guys have no idea how much your guidance, advice, and kind words mean to me... I'm struggling today as you can tell. I just hate to hurt people...
    Yes, we truly are best friends and I hope we can work it out. We have -- at least before last night - have mutual respect for each other. Right now, it just hurts me so much to see her hurting. What's difficult is that I home office as a remote employee - she is stay at home mom - so there is no escape. I need to find a way to get out during the day where I can work and give us some space.
    There are three things I keep telling myself over and over ...
    I am a good person, I am honest, I have integrity.
    I am holding my composure as is she - we have to hold it together so that our daughter doesn't get wind... given that we never fight, walking on egg shells around her. My oldest daughter is in college and is clueless to most of the world unless it evolves her sorority and mobile phone... should be easier for her. Who the heck knows.
    I'll keep you posted.. and please keep the advice coming... this keeps me sane.

9. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why do I feel like I made the wrong decision? I'm sitting here thinking .. do you understand what just happened? Do you really think you are gay? I know I am - but why am I feeling so confused?

10. CyclingFan

I found that although I still have a lot of this, it has lessened quite a lot over time. It gets better.

11. bi2me

I think anytime we make a big scary change it is easy to try to go back. Give both of you time to adjust. Visit a coffee shop or the library to work for a few hours if you can. Lots of people have found journaling, blogging, or writing on here really helpful. We are 'here' for you!

12. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have been "straight" for 23 years, with your wife. You have been "gay" with your wife for 2 days, so you don't know how to do it yet, particularly in the straight setting illusion you are trying to maintain for your at-home daughter. No, you don't yet fully understand what happened, and neither does she. It will take some time interacting with her to figure out what it means to be living together now on a day to day basis, but you will each figure it out, and realize that it does not have to mean very much is different right now unless one or both of you acts crazy and angry. If you don't think you are figuring it out quickly enough, get a therapist into the circle right away, to help both of you work through the coming changes in a productive and civilized way. This will minimize the hurt you might otherwise inflict on each other out of counterproductive anger.

13. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Comforting words of wisdom and you are correct. I've been in a straight world for 23 years and I've been out 2 days. Of course I'm questioning why this feels so strange. That makes perfect sense. Thank you. I read this just before going to bed. It did put my mind at ease for once today.

14. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Timing of move?
    I know it's been only 3 days, but I know my wife - and I get the sense and feeling that she is very uncomfortable being around me. It's like she is nervous and she avoids me - like running into someone at work who screwed you over. I think I may suggest that I start putting a plan in place to move out after I tell the girls in early June. You can cut the tension with a knife in the house after my youngest daughter is off to school each day. Is moving out better or worse? I don't know... Is it too soon? I just keep hearing my wife comment she made to me "it's like you died but you are still here..."

15. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd give her a little time to adjust before you rush into any decisions. It's going to be tense for awhile, that's for certain. But if you want to maintain a relationship with her in the long run, dashing out to find a new place to live without her explicitly asking you to might appear as if you're over-anxious to bail out of your old life and start a completely new one.

Her emotions (and yours) are going to go through a huge period of adjustment, and it's probably going to take much longer than a couple days before you really know how you both feel. Show her respect and kindness, and give her space if necessary, but not at the expense of your own self-respect and dignity. Unless she's demanding an immediate divorce or that you start looking, I'd allow yourselves time to adjust. You may have to be the stronger and more graceful person here, which is a challenge given all the emotions you're going through, but in the end it might salvage a friendship of some kind.

16. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am in exact same spot myself. Having explained myself as delicately and honestly as I could, my gf STILL thinks its all just a ploy to screw with her head. She says how I have fucked her over so badly and I feel like all I have done is be honest. I feel bad for what hurt I have caused, and she resents that our daughters know how I feel and they accept me just the same. I am very fortunate in that regard. I just wish that somehow her and I could find a way to work thru things peacefully because the only thing that matters in the end is what is best for our girls. I want to maintain as much stability as possible.

17. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just remember that you have had a long time to think things over, to read and consider your options. To her, this is all new and out of the blue. It will take time for her simply to assimilate the new information, let alone know what to do with it.

18. headshaver

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Best thing ever happened to me - I'm standing at the back door waiting for the dogs to come in from pee break - wife walks over, I put my arm around her, kiss her on the head, say hello (got to remember, she's been pretty much silent for 2 days) she looks at me and says "I miss my best friend" and I kiss her on the head again, give her a big squeeze and say - "I'm right here, look at me, I'm right here with you.". then, I started crying of course.. I'm a sap. Small win - not that I am counting - but that felt so good to me... I told her this all will work out and she agreed. Thankful for the small gift of love I received today. Tomorrow might be a totally different day of emotions - but I'll hold on today for sure.

19. bi2me

That made me tear up. I'm glad you had a moment of peace today. :slight_smile:

20. Jakebusman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am married and in the closet too