1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Gay Conversion Therapy

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Cesar123, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Cesar123

So if you are unfamiliar with gay conversion therapy - its basically the torture of gay men & woman in order to "turn" them straight. Recently found out this is still practiced in the US ( doesn't seem to be that extreme though ). Either way watch the video below! I've been dying to discuss this in depth.

< Gay Conversion Therapy - Part 1 | VICE | United States >

2. BUHgofp8

BUHgofp8 Guest

It's pretty disgusting, I feel sorry for the kids forced to have it because of their parents. More people commit suicide because of these camps then "be cured of being gay." But of course these assholes refuse to accept the facts. I can't believe people are stupid enough to think these camps work, or to think that the feelings their kid/themselves are feeling is wrong. We are in the 21st century and people are still this ignorant, it's depressing.

3. Ab4t5

It's horrible. It's depressing.

4. PunkRockKitten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That psychiatrist really pissed me off. I lost my mind when he mentioned that gays experience more depression. Seriously why the hell does he think that happens? Maybe if people like him would stop persecuting homosexuals and telling them that they are unnatural and wrong and disgusting and trying to change who they are, this wouldn't be happening. I really hope that he gets his licence revoked.

5. Cesar123

You need to see part two or three! They have a survivor and his experience with gay conversation therapy is horrendous!

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2015 at 07:31 PM ----------

Anyone else notice that some of stuff they do is...well...pretty gay.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2015 at 07:33 PM ----------

@PunkrockKitten, They mention something about him possibly losing his license in a further up episode! It's actually illegal and California and be is practicing this there!

6. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sad there are still advocates. Here in Oklahoma, a state representative (noted homophobe Sally Kern) tried to submit a bill protecting conversion therapy. It passed the committee, but luckily it got ignored further down the line.

7. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This prompted me to look up whether it's still legal in Canada and it is "ambigously" legal (as well as some gender discrimination :frowning2: ). This is just freakin' wrong.

One more thing to add to my advocacy list!

8. Justinian20

Well now for the annual comedy response to Gay conversion therapy.

Psychiatrist: I am doctor and will convert you to the cause of the straight man

Gay Man: Eew go away bitch, lock that door and cover the blinds cause I am gonna show this bitch how to dance.

(disco lights turn on)

Psychiatrist: I am alien and you are man, I am not affect by your humanity, I do not believe in nature

Gay Man: Well bitch shake dat butt and shut up (loops into song)

Psychiatrist: I am Straight and you are gay gay gay gay gay gay, does not compute for me I'm going to explode.

In all seriousness though, Mr Psychiatrist have you ever thought that gay men are completely natural in every aspect, it is simply what mother nature wants not what you want which is overpopulation of the world so we can starve the world of resources faster. So don't even try and turn Gay Men straight for it is natural in every way.

9. Manitoban

This reminds me of the residential school system in Canada.(And elsewhere)

I dont think much good can come from this kind of stuff despite potentially well meaning, but entirely misguided, intention.

10. PurpleGrey

I think if more people knew how outrageous and absurd and harmful and horrifying each of the methods used are, they would be less convinced that curing us is even possible. People should know every damn thing being done in these places.

Many of the horrible stories I hear remind me of archaic psychiatric treatments, where the point was to intentionally torture patients and beat the demons out of them, so their bodies would be unfit for anything to live in them. I can't exactly explain the connection, but hopefully some of you will get what I mean. It makes just as much sense and is the same kind of misguided damage to the mind and body.

11. Cesar123

Its interesting that the pioneers and leaders of gay conversation therapy a couple decades back, when it was popular, come out years later as gay. I think the statistic was 98% of its participants went on to live gay lives.

12. Sweetberry

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's so sad. I feel bad for the people who are so tortured by who they are and their need to fit into a particular mold they do this to themselves. It must create some serious identity problems. You can't "pray the gay away", you are who you are I think.

Have you seen the movie Bruno with Sacha Baron Cohen? (that movie is equally funny and unsettling at the same time) but they go to a religious counselor who wants to help Bruno- and that scene is hysterical! He does such a good job at making people look stupid!

Also remind me of "but im a cheerleader"

13. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was young the scientific thinking on sexual orientation was that it was a learnt behaviour. I went to therapy to change my sexual desires, it was nothing like the torture that is being practiced today. Basically I was told to wank while trying to think of women.
    Obviously the therapy didn't work but it did emotionally mess me up for many years. I suffered low level chronic depression for many years!
    I would agree with a doctor in the World Health Organisation (Pan American section) that states that those that practice these therapies should be subject to criminal proceedings.

Reparative therapy is an insidious and evil form of torture that is fed by and feeds homophobia.