1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half or Tank Binder?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by dray7, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, things didn't really go as planned tonight but basically I ended up telling my mom I'm trans, and she's completely fine with it (I'm still in shock, honestly). I'm gonna buy myself a binder from GC2b, but I'm not sure if I should get a half or tank binder. I'm a B cup, if that affects anything. What do you guys recommend?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally like the half binders because the tank binders tend to compress all the way down (even if it's less at the bottom), and I wouldn't personally like that. Also, apparently they tend to roll up, so you have to find ways to stop that.

The only downside to the half binder for me is that if I want to wear a tight shirt (I get really flat with a proper binder, so that's something I'm comfortable with sometimes; it may not be relevant for you) you can see where the binder ends. It's really not a problem for normal shirts though.

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Even though I prefer the look of full tank binders (I can pretend it's just an undershirt), I like the half binders because you can wear them in warm weather and not get overheated.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Tank, they flatten best for big chests. Plus they look like regular tank tops.

Edit, just read you're small chested. either one will work but I still recommend the tank.

5. MisterTinkles

You might also look into compression tops. They come in all types.
    They are a tight fit, without constricting you and making you feel like you are bound up.

6. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm fairly small. What I did was I got a tank. I found I hated the compression over my stomach. Fortunately, there were two layers, the compression layer and an outer cotton layer. So I cut the compression layer out partway down my torso. I very much prefer a tank because it's not weird for a guy to be wearing a tank underneath his shirt - a bit stranger with a half-length top.
    If your summers are very hot though, you might want to consider the half-length.
    That said, you can easily alter it by just cutting it partway down if you find you don't like it, assuming they are the same price. If GC2b is anything like Underworks, you don't even have to hem it. It doesn't fray. If you do that though, give yourself an extra 1" of material in case you do have to cut off frayed ends and hem it.
    Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. There's no right or wrong way of doing this.
    So idk, some things to think about!

7. Tohru-Chan

I got a tank from GC2B, and it really did roll up. I was constantly fixing it, and I actually ended up cutting it into a half binder because it was so irritating, then I ordered a half binder. I'm chubby though. It may not roll up as much if you're thin.

8. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

But they don't bind as well. You'd have to be even smaller than a B cup to get desirable effect.

9. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks so much! I ended up getting a tank so I can always just cut it if I don't like it.

10. GaspingJasper

Out Status:
    A few people
    Get tank then cut it in half if it doesn't work? :slight_smile:

11. JackBikwik

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Firstly, it's imperative to understand that cup size, without band size, is completely meaningless. A 32D is not equivalent to a 36D. Binders are sized by chest measurement, not cup size.

The type of binder you get isn't as big of a deal as you think. Most "tank" binders only have binding material in the upper half, just like a half binder. However, a tank binder looks less telling than a half binder. A tank binder simply looks like an undershirt. However, I know GC2B binders in particular have rolling up issues. I don't personally own one, so I can only repeat what I have heard. GC2B binders are highly recommended and most trans guys love them, but you'll have to bear in mind that the bottom edge is going to roll up on you.

If you have a smaller chest size, the cheap-o Amazon.com binders may work just as well. They offer half and tank varieties that look much more like normal shirts. The compression isn't as "good" as GC2B, but for small chested guys, the results can be quite similar for a fraction of the cost.

12. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had the exact same dilemma and in the end ordered both. :icon_wink

13. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd say it depends. With summer coming up, I'd suggest you either get a tank binder that you can wear as a tank top, or go for a half, because it might get a little hot

14. Max Glabel

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When you wear your half binder, does your stomach stick out whee the binder ends?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.