1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is "genderqueer"?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Milonov, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Seen two girls refer to themselves as this: my friend's ex (he now loathes the term because she broke up with him) and my current gf. What exactly is this?

As my girlfriend explained to me, it is just "I am not tomboyish but not super-girly either", but she usually dresses relatively girlishly, or at least unisex. Isn't that just being a girl with a boyish streak or vice versa? ...By that logic, a lot of people belong to that category. Or is that something more complex?

Or is my gf just being edgy and rebellious?

2. ANewDawn

It refers to someone who doesn't see themselves as entirely male or female. They could identify as both or neither. Basically anyone who doesn't fit into the gender binary. It doesn't really have much to do with what a person wears, but how they identify. Hope that helps.

3. dray7

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nah, she's not being edgy or rebellious. It's not really how people dress or look either. It's how they identify. Like ANewDawn said, it's when people identify as something other than 100% girl or boy. Sometimes people feel like they're both, or neither, or something else entirely.

4. Theron

Genderqueer is nonbinary: bigender, pangender, genderfluid, agender, neutrois, genderless.

5. FrogCAT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It varies from person to person, for me it's because while I do feel female most of the time(80%-ish), i do feel male-my bio sex- sometimes(15%-ish), and i occasionally feel genderless. Confusing I know, even I find it a little hard to understand sometimes.

6. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    She acts girly most of the time. She can be dominating and tomboyish, but I am not sure if that qualifies as male behaviour, though she certainly thinks of it that way.

7. DoriaN

I think people look into it too much myself, I'm under the stance that half the labels people use in the lgbt community are more or less meaningless, but it's not my place to judge.

Genderqueer just means you do not strictly adhere to being male or female, whatever male and female is.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  9. Tomgirl

Your gf sounds like she has a lot in common with me, and I'm on the board trying to figure stuff out, so she just might need to figure out what it all means also. I wouldn't feel threatened by it, it has nothing to do with sexual orientation. :slight_smile:

10. Milonov

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My question is that I am not sure if acting more boyishly constitutes genderfluidity.

I mean, I have a slight feminine side too (probably because of my Korean ancestry), but it's not like I am genderqueer because of that. It's still cis.

11. Acm

Acm Guest

Being masculine or feminine is just gender roles, not actual gender.

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

For me personally, other than acknowledging/not being bothered by my physiology, I do not feel either male or female. I identify witj neither label.