1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you realise you were trans*?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Zelos, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Zelos

Hey you beautiful people,

I've got a question for you : when did you realise that your gender did not match your sex?
    And also, do you have to have felt there was something wrong with it since childhood to be trans*? By that I mean, have some you realised they were trans* only in their teens, or even afterwards?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've had the impression one is not really trans if they haven't felt there was something wrong from childhood?
    I mean, when it comes to sexual orientation, some people realise they're not straight very soon (from childhood or teens), some realise it very late, when they're already married and all. The age they realise it depends on the person. Does it work that way with your gender?

I am so so sorry if I hurt anyone with those clumsy words up there!! It is really not my intention, I'm just trying to understand how it works, you see. Feel free to correct me! I am not sure of my own gender, so for now I'm saying I'm both :grin: by the way, I was born female. I'll tell you more about me if you like, but I'd like to hear your experiences!

Thank you! (*hug*)

2. the idiots555

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    about a few months ago and all 8th grade and some of 9th grade i was questioning gender then i found out that i was genderfluid

3. Lazuri

There's two kinds of trans people: the early onset trans people and the late onset trans people. None of them is more trans than the other.

Personally I did find something was wrong with me since my teens and looking back I knew it was there when I was just a child too, but I was too dumb to realize something was wrong. I only realized what was wrong a year ago.

4. Zelos

Thank you for sharing, you two! Lazuri : I'm actually 20 myself! So it makes me happy to see you realised it last year, when you were 21 :slight_smile: I thought it was not "normal" for me to start questioning so lately, but your reply has proven me there's nothing wrong with it :grin: !

5. RainDreamer

Hard to tell, due to cultural factor. I mean, I felt really nice when people commented that I am girly and looks like a girl when I was young, but I don't even know what transgender means back then. I just like what they say say, but I never thought about whether I could be a girl in a boy body at all.

It wasn't until I move to another country around 15 and get exposed to new thoughts and ideas that I can find a word to call myself, and it was such a powerful thing. To find my own identity, and to find a community of those who are like me. And that point would be when I "realized" that I am transgender.

Although even that process wasn't like a neat and simple "click" like a switch was on in my mind, like some other people's experience. For me it was much more confusing. There were times I thought I was an "otherkin" with another soul in me. Some other times I thought I actually have dual personalities. It was a lot of identity mazes to navigate and a lot of frustration and confusion to deal with. And it took me years until I find and accept myself as a transgender person.

6. Zelos

Thank you, RainDreamer! I can relate to what you are saying, it is hard to figure out what you are and then to accept it. I'm having troubles with it myself.

7. DoriaN

I always knew something was up, but I was innocent and naive, or I tried to ignore it as best I could. Didn't officially accept myself until early 20's.

8. Lazuri

No, there's nothing wrong with it. Some people on this very forum realized as late as their fifties and it's actually very common.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I knew I was supposed to be a boy when I was about four or five. I remember having tantrums about binary gendered assignments and being forced into a box that wasn't my own. It was solidified more when I was maybe eight or nine when I got a brutal taste of what separated guys and girls, and heard SRS/GRS existed not too long later. It became something I had to do when I was 16 later on.

A lot of people don't know until they're older in life, which is something people forget.

10. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

To copy and paste from elsewhere:

In a nutshell, I had inklings all my life, but thought this was common. Did a little investigating in my early-to-mid-20s, and found my answer.

11. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Well i don't think i really realized i was trans very early but i felt weird for a long time and didn't know why since i didn't know that you can be neither male nor female without being born intersex.
    As a child i felt like the gender roles in general were weird.people i played with for years suddenly treated me with disgust simply because i cut my hair short.or when i wore my brothers old clothes.many people asked me if i was a boy or a girl and somehow it felt weird answering.
    I questioned wether i was a boy or a girl since i was nine because for me there wasn't a real division (there still isn't but people were starting to get weirder about it) but i always jumped between the two in a minute or so.
    When i was twelve i heard about intersex for the first time and somehow wanted to have been born as such.i had the feeling that if my mother would come and tell me i was genetically intersex or something things would start to make sense somehow.
    When i was four teen dysphoria started to hit.i never felt like breasts belonged to me but i thought maybe it would go away if i got used to them.i was fourteen and i still hadn't.
    I went into a lgbt group far away and introduced myself with a male name as a trans guy.still it didn't feel right.when i got home after that i kinda understood for the first time that i wanted to be both and in a way neither male or female that i wanted to be in between.i felt like a lonely freak like i was the only person on this goddamn planet that felt that way.
    I felt guilty for being who i am and try to ignore it but i couldn't stop binding and hating the way people saw me or when they used my name.
    Then 3/4 year ago i stumbled randomly on non binary genders in the internet.first i felt unbelievable happy that someone else felt like me.then i tried to deny it a few weeks because i knew it would bring immense trouble.but my mind couldn't keep away.an here i am typing non sense:icon_wink i don't know where along the way i really realized i was trans but i know i belong somewhere and that feels unbelievable awesome.

12. Zelos

Thank you so much for sharing, all of you! It is very enrichening :slight_smile:

13. ANewDawn

I grew up in a culture in which the genders are very segregated, so I only realized that I related much more to guys and imagined myself as a guy about a year ago. I didn't realize that I might be trans till about a month ago.

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I've always felt different my whole life, and there were lots of signs that I was trans as a kid, but I didn't figure it out until I was 14.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You're not a crocodile?

I have been deceived!

<3

16. randomly me

randomly me Guest

i always thought it was a frog.....it's really a crocodile 0.0

17. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

Ah, I hate this question. It's too complicated to answer.

18. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm actually a crocodile born in the body of a human :lol:

19. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Why?

20. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I realized I was trans about 2 years ago, so when I was 16. There were some signs as a child, but I don't know if I would have IDed as trans if I had been given the option when I was younger. All I know is I'm trans now.