1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom is annoying.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by My True Self, Mar 3, 2015.

1. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to my mom last night. Now she's trying to help me find out that I'm straight. She won't let me on Facebook or Instagram and I'm not allowed to talk to my older cousin who is the only person I trust or want to talk to. I'm going to therapy soon. What should I do? I have ten years before she might think about believing me and I'm not allowed to tell anyone. She says I chose this. She says I'm lying to myself and it's because gayness is apparently a trend right now. She also said it's because I'm close to my older cousin who is also Gay. What should I do? How do I convince her I'm gay?

2. Section18

Section18 Guest

When you say you're going to therapy, what do you mean?

3. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Therapy to help me figure out that I'm straight and to help with my mental issues.

4. Section18

Section18 Guest

Like gay conversion shit?

5. My True Self

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, she thinks I'm straight, she just wants me to figure that out. (I'm suposed to figure it out for myself but she is saying I'm straight so I guess I don't get a chance to prove that I already did.

6. ANewDawn

If your therapist is any good they won't buy into your moms agenda. They're their to help you with what you need, not her. Having a therapist on your side could actually prove useful in the future for bringing your mom around.

7. Rikudou

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do not try to convince your mother that you are in fact gay. She is going through the stages of grief and will come around sooner or later (with a bit of help from you and those around her). She needs to accept this, and for the time being she cannot so it is detrimental for you to even try and convince her. For now I would simply try to avoid confrontation by agreeing with her (even if not directly) by saying something along the lines of - I value your opinion, even if I do not agree with it. Then simply move on to talking about other things. Your job of coming out ended when you informed her, now she has to work on accepting it.