1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose your name and pronouns?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anann, Feb 14, 2015.

1. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should add to my comment above, the feminine version of the name has been used to reffer to me in the past, especially when I was a child.

2. ThatOnePerson

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Well, I still haven't really decided on a female name for when I'm in girl mde .. But A friend of mine suggested I use the same first letter of my first name.

My dad nicknamed me "Jack," alluding to my great grandpa. I was thinking "Jackie," or something like that. But .. it still feels kind of odd since I haven't come out to either of my parents (and I'm sure they wouldn't be too happy about it.).

For now, though .. I guess Jackie is good. ^_^ I was thinking about "Zane" or "Iris," but I have a friend whose name is Iris, so .. there's that. XD

3. nevers

Out Status:
    All but family
    So I came up with my name Aiden from a video game (its pronounced eye-den) Beyond: Two Souls and I just fell in love with it and I feel like its perfect for me. When you finally pick a name, you can just feel it, how right it is. I associate more with male even though I'm bigender i've just always been a "tom-boy" i guess i dunno. I can just feel it in my heart im not really a girl but i enjoy being cute even though i consider myself more FTM than bigender. I picked my pronouns from that, as I'm more comfortable with being mistaken as a guy. I've always been "One of the Guys" i guess.

4. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since I consider myself to be at least partly a girl, I'm comfortable with my birth name. One unisex name I really like is Robin, but no one ever calls me that. I might call myself that sometimes.

As for pronouns, I've decided that I don't really care what pronouns people use for me. ^^

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have not changed my name, legally. And I have not 100% decided on a name, though I am leaning towards a few, with one slightly ahead.

As for how I "came up" with these names, they're just names I've always liked. Some of them have a special connection, which is hard to convey. Basically, when seeing or hearing them, they jump out at you.

The name that stands out to me, and is ahead of the others (but not totally decided on, mind you), would be:

[​IMG]

It's elegant, but firm. Fancy, but sturdy. Beautiful and strong.
    It, both, commands authority from others and radiates security upon them.
    It's the kind of name that, quite frankly, you're supposed to obtain great success with. And, I like how it sounds.​

No special connection, really.

I really wish I had a more amusing or exciting answer, but alas~!

As for pronouns, I'll tolerate male ones, because I know I don't "pass". But if folks know my situation, basically knowing better, then I would prefer female pronouns.

6. wolf of fire

I asked my parents what my name would have been had I been born with female parts. That name was Isabelle but I remember it being Elizabeth (for some reason) so I started calling myself that.
    I have two names, a male one and a female one (is that too much, should I have just one?)
    I started writing about myself in the third person to help with pronouns for example "Elizabeth walked into the bathroom and winked at themselves in the mirror" this was how I found out I don't like "them" pronouns. I like "him" and "her" pronouns.

#26 wolf of fire, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good choice! ^.^♥

8. Sam I Am

My first name is unambiguously female, but my middle name is Samantha, which shortens very nicely to the gender-neutral Sam. And I don't have to do any paperwork!

The only problem is that I'm already published under my [firstname] [lastname], so switching is going to suck ... but tomorrow I'm going to publish my first story as [firstinitial]. Sam [lastname], so hopefully in a few years, I'll have a bigger body of works with my new name!

9. SkyColours38

I've never much liked my birth name (Kate), so I didn't need to consider a masculine name that would sound similar. I've always felt like I ought to be called Elliot, for no discernible reason, so that's my first name. I picked my middle name, Aiden, because it means 'fiery one' and that appealed to me.
    As for pronouns (and names), I'm still mostly in the closet, so I decide which to tell people depending on my level of comfort in the situation and trust of the individuals. It's great going to trans events and getting called Elliot out loud :slight_smile:

10. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose my name rather impulsively. I needed initials to use for some game online, and I didn't want to use my given name, so I used the first male names that I liked that came to my head. I picked Jesse because I'd liked it ever since I read Bridge to Terabithia in 5th grade, and Mark came to mind randomly, and I liked it, so I used it.

I didn't think about it too hard because I thought it was just for the game I was playing, but it's been over a year now, and it's stuck. I've kept it because it just feels right. It's my name.

Regarding pronouns, I use he/him or they/them. I chose they/them instead of any of the other options for gender neutral pronouns because it is familiar to me, and it is the easiest for others to use.

11. RadioRoss

At first I was thinking of Elliott, because that was the name of my favorite musician, and I quite liked the name, but I was still on the fence of what I should choose. Then, I kept on hearing the name Ross, (Friends, The Game Grumps...) and i found out that I really like that name. The name seems to sound masculine, yet playful. Pronouns, I'm still kind of iffy about. I guess I prefer going with he/him pronouns, but I don't really care all that much. As long as you're cool about my gender identity, I'll be cool with you ^.^

[​IMG]

12. Hela

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I chose Elliot, because its a name I love and have always loved. I looked a lot on baby name websites, and looked for unisex names. I ended up between about five names that I loved, but Elliot stood out the most as one I loved. You really just have to find what you're comfortable with. As for pronouns, I really just looked at what others used, and I decided on what made me happy. They/them pronouns make me feel recognized, and make me feel happy, as does being called Elliot. If your looking for names or pronouns, just find what makes you happy.

13. jAYMEGURL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Dearest Anaan :

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR COMING OUT!!!!!!!! Now, you want to pick a feminine name, okay, but don't choose one that is hard to spell, or hard to pronounce.

In my case, A friend of mine, many years ago, thought my name, Jim, sounded STUPID, so she changed it, and started calling me by her name Jamie. but she thought that spelling was too girlish, so she again changed my name to Jamee, again, she hated that name, so finally she came up with, Jayme. " And your new name shall remain this way, forever ". Jayme is just James with a "y", and no " s ". It is only logical.

This summer, I plan to make the name change legal, no more Jim, or James.
    James is biblical, and I think that the bible is a lot of ****

Changing your name is a personal decision, just like telling your family. Just remember,
    keep it simple, and easy for you and others to pronounce. and forget about pronouns, they're way to complicated.

Jaymegurl

14. anann

Thanks to those who have shared your stories. I think it calms me down to hear others stories of choosing names or pronouns. I have three names I'm thinking of now - narrowed down a lot. I may be coming out this evening, or in 2 weeks. (quirks of the community where I live makes this timing make sense). I don't feel ready, but I don't think I will ever feel ready. My obsessing about it really shows that I need to get it out. So wish me luck!

15. DoriaN

I did not choose my name, and my pronouns match my gender. So pretty easy in that regard ahah.

16. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, pronouns wise... I went through a phase where I was kind of okay with being a boy but still wanted to be a girl and at the time I just identified as bigender, I just felt like I was both, so like with names at the time I kind of just said "hey, call me whatever you want," I got a lot of nicknames out of that... But eventually my dysphoria got worse and worse and I just couldn't fathom living like a guy any longer... So now I strictly try to use feminine pronouns...

As for my name.... Well I'm still sort of debating Elissa and April... Elissa is a name I took from a favorite comic book character, I just really liked the sound of it... And April was going to be my birth name... I am certain of Estella as my Middle name though so I may go by that for now! :slight_smile: But you can just call me Ella or Neko for now!

17. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    for pronouns I like they/them or he/his. But I still havnt decided wich I prefer. The first name I ever chose was george, but then I got excited about choosing, so went through a few more. I was thinking of jaska, but also Francis, Patrick, Alfie or James. But George just always felt like more like myself, and kind of neutral so I've gone with that so far.

18. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My girlfriend picked my name, based on a quote from some movie she likes a lot. I agreed to it because I like the Beatles (the name is Maxwell, as in Bang Bang Maxwell's silver hammer) and because "Max" is short, simple, and potentially gender neutral.

I've tried "he/him" pronouns before, but it was too much for my girlfriend (and for me, if I'm honest) all at once, so I switched back. I've gone back to he/him in the past couple of months, and it just seems to work. It certainly feels a heck of a lot better than "she!"

19. TheDapperCorvid

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just switched my birth name to the masculine version, Aaron. I was comfortable with the name itself, as it's gender-neutral, and the pronunciation is pretty much the same either way (in Canadian accents at least). And honestly, it would be much easier on myself and everyone else. Plus, Aaron possibly has an Ancient Egyptian etymological origin (aha rw, "warrior lion"), and I'm very interested in ancient history.

As for pronouns... I kept narrating my activities in the third-person, as though reading from a book, initially with They/Their pronouns and later with He/His pronouns until I got used to them. This is mostly kept to myself right now, though.

20. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pronouns, easy, right there, so much better. ^_^ My name, Martha, is not close at all to my birth name, but it was the name my parents would have given me if I had been born a girl, so it stuck.