1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions in or around Paris?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by OGS, Jan 9, 2015.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So my partner and I are looking at possibly going to Paris--possibly as a honeymoon. Anyone have any suggestions about when or where to go?

2. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi OGS

I love Paris. It's not an enormous place and I would suggest staying somewhere slightly out of the main (expensive) areas but on or near to a a Metro line. I'll dig around and post a suggestion!

One place you must go to (apart from the obvious Notre Dame etc) is Montmartre. It's my favourite part.

I can also recommend getting a two or three day pass for one of the hop on/hop off river boats. These stop at the main attractions.

3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    #3 jay777, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I liked Paris a lot. I should get back there.

My favorite things in Paris were the Eiffel Tower, the museums Louvre and D'Orsay, and Versailles. Versailles is not in Paris proper, but it's about a 30 to 40 minute train ride, and there aren't words to describe how fascinating the chateau and the grounds are.

But there's so much more to it, too. Paris can be snooty and can have a good vibe at the same time. It's hard to explain.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course, one should go to Paris in the spring, or as soon as the weather gets better. I could not possibly tell you all the treasures you could experience there, but do make sure that, on a sunny and warm late afternoon, you buy a fresh baguette, some brie or camembert cheese and some wine so that you can have an impromptu picnic (make sure you have utensils, cloth napkins and wine glasses, one must do this in style!) by the Seine, then just sit back together and people-watch... :slight_smile:

Oh, and do bring a small padlock to attach to the fence on either side of the Pont de l'Archevêché and throw the key into the Seine...and check out the twin tombs of Abelard and Heloise (a beautiful medieval love story and leave a love-letter as tradition dictates) at the cemetery of Père Lachaise among the many other notables buried there (check out the tomb of Oscar Wilde).

Last, but not least, take a walk at night in the rain near the Champs-Élysées...

6. Candace

I'd say go to the Eiffel Tower of course (unless you're afraid of heights), Sacré-Coeur (which is in Montmarte), Notre Dame, etc.

Versailles and the Louvre are nice, but they are time consuming and you'll need at least half a day to go see those places separately (and I'd recommend a full day to see Versailles. It's just THAT big of a place). What I found out was that they close the Louvre on Tuesdays for cleaning, so that'd be the best day to go to Versailles or wherever. Then go to the Louvre another day.

I personally recommend the Bois de Bolougne(Bolounge Forest), which is a super huge park within the city. Like GreatWhale said, go to a Carrefour(basically a supermarket akin to a Costco or Sam's Club) and buy yourself some meat, bread, cheeses, wine OR from a small quaint local market if you choose to do so, and have a picnic in the park. Place de République (Quebecois artist Coeur de Pirate made a song about it :lol: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: and Trafalagar Square are nice to visit and not as crowded at certain times of day. If you want to go shopping, try the Champs aux Elysées or La Défense, which is just west of the city, about 5-7 miles and accessible by metro.

Arc de Triomphe, also a nice place, but it was super crowded when I went. The Paris Métro is super freaking huge, convenient, with 300 stations to choose from and taking you to anywhere you want to go within the city and to Charles De Gaulle Airport.

*NOTE* Please try your hardest and might to speak French. Surprisingly, not a lot of people (at least in my experience) cannot speak English. A little bit of French will go a long way and people will appreciate it if you try. :slight_smile:

So have fun and bonne chance :slight_smile:

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw it on the map and it takes up a big chunk of space. I wanted to see it, or at least a part of it, but did not have the chance. I will add that to the list for a future visit.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2015 at 06:11 PM ----------

True. There are some really long hallways and moving walkways where two or more important stations come together. The Metro is a big deal in Paris. The train to the airport is part of a different network, but comes right into Chatelet-Les Halles, the main station, IIRC. Several metro lines come into this station, too.

---------- Post added 9th Jan 2015 at 06:13 PM ----------

True. They become nicer if you try ... most of them. LOL. Mostly, I was treated ok by the Parisians. I wonder if the tide is turning or Americans are just getting better at not expecting to find America wherever they go.

#7 Tightrope, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015