1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

relate?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by skiff, Dec 21, 2014.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Do you relate to this sense of loss...

Michael Jackson - Childhood (Michael Jackson's Vi…: http://youtu.be/puQEcN_iI9o

The fact that you are gay and a large piece of your life...

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but maybe if someone else sang it possibly.

3. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why?

You trust the spectacle created by media?

Inthe past 100 years how many black eyes and groin kicks given LGBT by media to SELL their priduct?

I do not trust we get the truth.

4. OOC73

Its possible not to connect with a song for other reasons you know ;-) - you might not like the persons singing voice or their style of music. I think I would be the same as OTH, not because of any of the media stuff, but simply because when I don't connect with a persons singing voice what they sing becomes relatively meaningless. The same song given to someone different to sing can put a whole new slant on it. I'm not a fan of MJ and I never was prior to any of the allegations. I just don't like his music. No big deal.

5. shinji

shinji Guest

Not one of his best songs. I can somewhat relate... somewhat.

I just think that MJ was not appreciated enough when he was alive. The media basically paraded him, as this weird person that has all these eccentric ideas. People just didn't understand him...

Don't like his music, but I respected him as a person, for being his own unique self, despite all the negativity it has caused him.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a massive skeptic of the media. However, I do believe where there is smoke, there is typically fire. And when the smoke keeps blowing.........

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there's a huge difference between being skeptical of the media and simply assuming that everything in the media is untrue. I'm with OTH.

8. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MJ was definitely both a huge talent and a victim of his own success and hype (and the success and hype that were dumped on him at a painfully young age BECAUSE of his talent). The guy was definitely messed up in a major way, and I'm frankly glad it's not up to me to determine how responsible he and people like him are for the things they do, or are alleged to have done. If he actually WAS a child molester, it's easy to trace the steps that led up to it, but even if you can understand how he got there, it doesn't absolve him of responsibility.

As far as the actual song goes....I can relate up to a point to the themes of being misunderstood, and of childhood fantasies and dreams lost. But realistically, that's not exclusively an LGBT thing. Just ask all the high school jocks who dreamed of being a pro and didn't make it, or the science geeks who never made some amazing discovery, or the writers whose stories just never were quiet good enough or focused enough to become the great American novel. Every adult has some fantasies that never came true and some degree of loss for things that didn't pan out the way they expected.

One of the pitfalls we face, particularly as later-in-life types, is the firm belief that our closet case status was solely responsible for all those broken dreams and unhappiness and isolation. Coming out isn't going to solve all our problems, and we need to face that too. Not every gay kid goes into the closet, just as not every child celebrity abuses drugs or goes off in the weird directions that MJ did. We had more fears and more needs, and for whatever reason, we were already damaged enough to hide rather than face who we are. But at some point we have to recognize that our childhood and adolescence--or even the last 50+ years in some cases--may be full of missed opportunities and fantasies that never came true, but we're adults now, we're alive, and every day is a new chance to move in a positive direction. Acknowledge what you've lost, certainly. But dwelling on it will make you crazy. Had MJ realized that, he might not have become the creepy caricature that he did, and he might be alive today.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap