1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people suspect you're LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CandyKing, Dec 21, 2014.

1. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know...a few people closer to me most likely do, my parents included.

2. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have no way of knowing what people think inside their heads or say when I'm not around, but nobody seems to be suspecting from what I see. One girl even said "He's not gay." and the response was "You don't know that!" (jokingly) and she said "At least I don't think he is"
    I was in denial at the time and I think my face turned super red about to cry. Don't know what kind of message that sent or if people noticed.

#142 Tritri, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  3. NinjaInTraining

I'm not sure what people think of me... I know I'm not your stereotypical 'straight girl', but I'm not exactly a stereotypical lesbian either. I have been asked if I'm gay before, but it was over a year ago and before I came out to myself, so I denied it.
    I'm kinda surprised my mum hasn't caught on. When I was five I dressed as princesses a lot. My mum told me one day that I would marry a 'wonderful prince charming', to which I responded, 'what if I want to marry another princess?'

4. ChameleonSoul

Not really. I'm pretty "straight-acting", but I've never shown a strong interest in girls before. Honestly, I'm surprised that somebody hasn't figured it out yet.

5. Poster

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Can relate to this.

There are times I wish people would ask me about it - coming out would be easier if others already suspect something.

6. Polemarch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think people are starting to know. Before when I was in high school (6 years ago) I was just classified as a tomboy or someone who just isn't into boys. But now, when I meet new people or when I run into old classmates, they have a feeling that I'm a lesbian. When I meet a friend(s) of my friend who knows that I am a lesbian, they would sometimes ask my friend if I'm a lesbian or not. I know they ask because my friends would tell me and wonder if it's okay if they tell them I am. I always tell them it's fine, go ahead and tell them I got nothing to hide, but if I know they are close to a cousin of mine or someone in my family, I'm a bit more hesitant because I haven't come out to my parents yet.

It is usually the people who are LGBT, that know I am a lesbian right off the bat. Straight people are more hesitant on guessing whether I'm a lesbian or not, which I find it amusing sometimes because I would see that they are careful with their words and that just makes me want to chuckle.

7. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Considering I get the occasional "faggot" as I pass through the hallways at school, I think... yes.... Which is odd considering the fact that I don't feel like I fit a lot of the stereotypes. I do dress a little flamboyantly, but other than that, I can't think of anything.

8. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This just in.

I'm taking a series of seminars. There is this one guy from another country who has taken a liking to me. He is a shorter married guy with kids and usually sits by me. We were talking about where he was from and where I'd been on vacations.

He asked me, "Do you go with your wife?"

I told him, "I don't have a wife. I don't like kids." Well, I wasn't lying on either count. He seemed surprised.

9. markosss

Yes! My aunt always ask me if I have a girlfriend and everytime she see a pretty girl in public she ask me if I like her or make stupid jokes and says go talk to her. Its really annoying!

10. Shaded

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think so.
    Maybe some people I'm close to might suspect since I've only had a childhood girlfriend.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now that I have transitioned and pass for the most part as male, people think that I am a gay man most of the time.

12. CrazyAwkward

No, not to my knowledge. But who knows? Maybe some people do and just don't say anything. I don't really fit any of the stereotypes though, so probably not.

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why don't you tell her off, if you can? I've put some relatives in their place. It either puts them in their place or it means it's over.

Some more "mature" women can be so stupid. They think you can just go up to someone and chat them up. It doesn't work that way. One time, I went to wedding and the bride was Hispanic. That's the side of the bridal party I knew. I knew a lot of the people there. There was this girl there I knew of, having seen her around in the neighborhood over the years, and who I did not care for. She was sort of a knucklehead. The bride's aunt grabs this girl and practically throws her in my face to dance with her at this wedding.

I danced with her and I couldn't wait until it was over because you couldn't hold a conversation with her, but I think a lot of women have low levels of sensitivity and sense when it comes to attraction between other people and addressing sexuality. They have to fix these sorts of things in people. Men may have their faults, but at least they tend to mind their own business quite a bit more when it comes to romantic issues. That's what I've seen.

14. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you saying it's awkward to just sit down to some random person and have a conversation?
    I've told people it's weird before, but they simply tell me that's how you meet new people. I could never walk up to a random stranger and just have a chat. Somebody did that to me once. It was a little weird but I did have an interesting chat with her.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been told there is something very masculine about me too many times to count. Also I grew up with the sentence you look like a boy, so yeah, they did/do suspect something.

The catch is that I never told them about my girlfriends, so they got confused... again.
    Some of them are still very confused.

#155 Michael, Feb 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2015
  16. choirsmash

I like to think they don't, but people probably do. I've been asked before and denied (before I knew haha). I'm sure some of my friends know, I haven't told them but they probably know

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes, but not always. Sometimes you can tell there's a good vibe and you can just walk up and talk to someone, but most of the time it won't be romantic. It will be just talk. The guy's aunt sounded like she was pushing him to make the move and, more so, to score. With that too, you can tell in advance whether there's even any interest or likelihood, assuming the people were interested. It's about the cues people give off. I hope that helps. But, then, it's also my interpretation of the situation.

18. PositivelyMe

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so, if I talk about being single and how much I want to be in a relationship everyone tells me "you'll find the right man"

19. adsterrr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although I'm not particularly 'camp' people just tend to know I am, I don't mind though, be proud of who you are :grin:

20. albicant

Out Status:
    Some people
    Although I didn't even spare a thought to my sexuality until college, I was always surrounded by different people frantically trying to convince me I was either 'totally gay' or 'definitely straight.'
    When I shaved my head and wore it short people told me I should just come out because they knew I was a lesbian. Years later I grew my hair long, lost weight, started dressing better and no one believed I was into women.
    So basically, people are always suspecting the opposite because I don't fit their expectations. 'Gaydar' is far more visual than most people would like to admit. There is no such thing as 'just knowing.'
    "She looks like a butch lesbian, so she has to be into women. She looks feminine, so she has to be straight."
    So as of this moment, no one suspects (lol).

#160 albicant, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015