1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do people suspect you're LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by CandyKing, Dec 21, 2014.

1. emmyee

emmyee Guest

Some people do. They know, at the very least, that I'm pretty vocal about my opinion on LGBT issues.

2. essie

Nope. On Friday I've even been asked what my ideal man would look like.

3. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Fuck being asked that. I don't know how to respond to so many things people ask and this is one.

4. dreamcatcher

People are always surprised when I tell them. They have to take a minute to process what I say because they're often so shocked. I have no idea why but that's the way it is haha

5. Silver Springs

It's funny, some people seem to assume it automatically, but all my friends were SO shocked when I came out. Even my gay friends were a little bit blindsided.

6. SOULkitchen

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    People just seem to think there is generally something wrong with me. Honestly I don't even know how to define my sexuality anymore, not that it needs defining.

7. Azrael

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    No... I don't dress 'gay' enough according to some people... My accent and the way I talk throws people off as well.

8. AngelWings17

AngelWings17 Guest

Mostly every one of my friends didn't see it coming when I came out, but there are a few who knew all along that I'm bi. I was a bit surprised when they said they knew.

9. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate that one :/ I'm either wishy washy or be as vague as possible so it applies still :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. adimanav

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always hope people do... but they dont :/ so that sucks.. I'm planning on getting a unicorn horn and fairy wings... I think that should do it :slight_smile:

11. Noel Luca

Not really, no. Although they aren't too surprised when I tell them.

12. TheStormInside

They used to when I was younger, before I even knew it myself :eusa_doh: . So far the people I've come out to have been pretty surprised, though, so I must have gotten pretty good at "playing straight" over the years.

13. Adarya

Most people don't care. They think I'm too into schoolwork to get a boyfriend, and I'm perfectly fine letting them think that for the time being.

14. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Most of my friends on Facebook and the people that I graduated with assume that I am. That's mostly based on my posting habits, I post a lot of LGBT stuff, and a friend in high school would always say that I was a lesbian.

15. Randomcloud

Quite the contrary. Some people think I'm joking, doing it for attention and faking it, or confused. Because I've never dated a girl. It is SO freaking frustrating to have your identity invalidated by people after you trust them enough to come out to them. Ughhhn

16. MissMook

Throughout my life, people always questioned me why I enjoyed having long hair - so they may have assumed I was gay (stereotypical for that time) or trans for that reason. Through every school I went to, I always hung out with a lot of girls; students had assumed I was gay for that. :/

In fact, I find it funny how people never usually guessed I was genderqueer and just went straight to thinking I was gay. Typical.

Aside from that, I think the only way people could really tell is whenever I make lady-like gestures or when I raise the pitch in my voice (which I subconsciously do when talking to my girlfriend, it's when I feel most comfortable).

My dad always enforced me to be manly and kept me in check whenever I strayed from that. That never stopped me from becoming who I am, inevitably.

17. lostluvr

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    nope..if it was that easy maybe another lesbian who was attracted to me could actually ask me out lol

18. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They tend to assume that I am not straight. Usually they think I am a lesbian and look confused if I tell them I am with a man. Then they assume I am bi. If I say I am actually a guy their head explodes.

It's weird how people often think that sexual orientation and gender expression are the same thing.

19. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My mom did before I came out to her but that was only because I was never interested in boys but most people I meet now assume I'm straight (I'm always a little offended tbh)

20. aeva

Never, and it drives me crazy. I think I'm one of those people that if somebody saw me outside of work and was specifically looking for signs that I was a lesbian, they'd be able to tell (short fingernails, Subaru, leather jacket, combat boots, guy's wallet, no purse, only male friends, smoker and I love cats, video games, and gorey/action movies, etc. They may be stereotypes, but they're stereotypes for a reason)...but I'm also very curvy, have long, curly blonde hair and wear make-up.

However, most days I'm wearing scrubs & sneakers with a little make-up and my hair in a ponytail, so people assume I'm straight. A lot of people are surprised when they find out, especially if they knew I'd dated guys in the past.